Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Pronator wrote: »
    [
    It's a PMP session for me Joe, ill let u take the glory that day :-)

Ah he'll be doing well to keep up with your PMP pace Ian, what was it again? 74 minute half or something like that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Weekly Summary 10/03/13

Mon – Lunch – 7.7 mile run (06:57m/m) HR 138.
    Tue – Eve - 9.13 mile run (06:40m/m) HR 142
    Wed – AM - Swim 2500m @ 1.54 /100m pace.
    PM – 10.26 mile run (06:34m/m) HR 141
    Thurs - Lunch – 8.0 mile run (06:59m/m) HR 135
    Eve – 2,900m coached swim
    400m descending w/u,
    3x100m off 2:00 (in 1:40), 50m easy off 60,
    3x100m off 1:55(in 1:40) 50m easy off 60,
    3x100m off 1:50 (in 1:40) (50m easy off 60),
    3x100m off 1:45, (in mostly 1:40), easy 50,
    3x100m off 1:40 (in 1:41-1:42) 50 easy then
    3x100m off 1:35 (in 1:40-1:45)
    8 x 50 in 48 avg off 70.
    Fri – Evening: Turbo 75 mins with 1 x 18 min & 2 x 21 min
    41km,31.5kph, Avg Watts 203. HR 117
    33kph. Avg watts 215. HR123
    Sat – AM. Long run. 23.1 miles (06:35m/m) incl last 4 @ 06:07 (approx MP) HR 150.
    Sun – AM. 12.2 mile run (06:58 m/m)HR 139

Totals:
    Run x 6 – 70.4 miles. Time 7hr 56 min
    Bike x 1– 41km. Time - 1h 16 min
    Swim x 2 – 5.4km. Time – 1h 46 min

Total Time – 10hr 58 min.

Making Progress
    I feel my swimming is coming along. The first swim of the week didn’t happen on Tues and eventually it happened Wed. I wanted to see where I was with regard to a steady long swim and was relatively happy with the morning 2.5km swim. I didn’t hit that kind of a time until mid July last so hopefully I’m on the way to a better swim time come mid Sept.
    The coached session on Thurs again was a great. I learned a few things like for one slapping of my right hand which I wasn’t aware of.
    Only one turbo this week and its purpose was just to spin the legs in prep for the long run Sat. But I found the last 15 mins tough, the legs were just empty.
    Moving onto the running – I managed to top 70 miles for the week. The legs were fooked for a good part after the half last week so it was all steady stuff, though in hindsight maybe I should have had a tempo session on Wed as I felt strong mid way through. Then again I felt very low on sugar on Tues and Thur runs, don’t know why but by half way in each I was empty, but got through this feeling ok
    It was a 7:30am start on Sat with club mates Pronator and Neil for the 23 miler. (Hopefully before long Krusty and eventually Pre will have joined our 2:3x group)
    The legs didn’t really start going till 5-6 miles in but the miles flew by on a lumpy course.
    Pronator was in fine form flying the last 6 home at what at probably my HMP. I was happy enough though with my last 4 just slightly slower than MP . It’s only my 2nd long done (3 x 20 + to go) but finished well and took on no gels during the 2.5hrs session.

Week ahead -
    Not an ideal one. Because of a little girls birthday we are heading to Euro Disney Paris from Thur to Mon. So my long run will get pushed back to that Mon afternoon.
    Plan is to get in early morning runs over there. I’m told the place takes up 1/5of the area of Paris, so I’d better not get lost then! Can’t wait to punch Mickey Mouse also:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wave 1, Corral 1, Bib: 258. Nice..... You're gonna love it...

Wave 1, Corral 1, Bib: 258. Nice..... You're gonna love it...
    :):)

Jesus KC 8hrs before I even knew it myself and I only got the Boston email 3hrs ago.
    You part of the comittee ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Abhainn wrote: »
    :):)

Jesus KC 8hrs before I even knew it myself and I only got the Boston email 3hrs ago.
    You part of the comittee ?!
    The committee are still apologizing for the weather conditions last year...
    I'm still getting all of the Boston spam e-mails and Facebook posts. Can't quite bring myself to unsubscribe. Perhaps a feeling of unfinished business?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I presume that was you sprinting down the N11 about 5pm yesterday?

Also possible that was your missus at the top of the hill who had just dropped you off, or you were 22miles into some crazy high tempo run?

Izoard wrote: »
    I presume that was you sprinting down the N11 about 5pm yesterday?

Also possible that was your missus at the top of the hill who had just dropped you off, or you were 22miles into some crazy high tempo run?

Yes that was probably me before I encountered a fecking hound who liked the look of my behind.
    22 miles yes spot on again. Genius :)

Weekly Summary 17/03/13

Mon – Lunch – 6.2 mile run (06:56m/m) HR 135.
    - Late eve - Swim 2.35km. Pace 1:54/ 100m
    Tue – Eve - 10.25 mile run (06:39m/m) HR 145
    Wed – PM – 9.61 mile run (06:23m/m) with 7 x 1km intervals & 500m recovery. Avg 3:23/km HR 150.
    Thurs - Early am - 9 mile run (06:51) HR 138
    Fri – Rest
    Sat – Early am. 10.31 miles (06:42m/m) HR 138
    Sun - Early am. 10.77 miles (06:37m/m) HR 138
    EuroDisney
    (Mon 18th - PM. 22 mile long run (06:36m/m) HR 147)
    [URL=http://connect.garmin.com/activity/[/url] 286061301]OW swim[/URL]

Totals: 8 days
    Run x 7 – 78.14 miles - 8hr 39 min
    Bike x 0–
    Swim x 1 – 2.35km. Time – 44 min
    Total Time – 9hr 23 min.

Under 4 weeks to Boston

I've included Mon in the figures to make me feel better. :)
    With the family trip to Euro Disney from Thur - Mon it again was going to be a challenging week. I had planned 2nd swim but it didn't happen. No bike happened either but that wasn't planned anyway. However if you include Mon long run the 8 days run block looks ok.
    I really didn't feel up to the 7 x 1km reps on Wed. The first 4 were into the wind, and after no.1, well physically things got easier. I was pleased enough with pace but was shagged at the end. I managed an early run on Thur before our flight and decided on rest day Fri but with all the walking it didn't feel so. That place is huge.
    I did manage to hurt my same problemtic groin on the Twilight Zone Hollwood Ride of Terror. I just wanted it to end. I don’t feel that bad as Sebastian Chabal didn’t appear to love it also. Poor Liam who is 3 yr was just silent all through it while Nicole couldn't wait to go back on it.

I was feeling some groin pain on the early Sat run but this had improved by Sunday's thanks to Iberfuren. I was totally shattered on our return Mon. The long run was certainly a character building session. I would have accepted any excuse not to run the planned 20 + miles. Weather cold and crap and dogey groin concerned me. Having ran against the wind to the turn point my pace was avg 06:43 and that improved on the way back. The legs were feeling fine the only concern was getting low on fuel. A bloody hound had a right go at me 5 miles from home and I almost took my only gel after as I felt low. However I resisted that and bad feeling subsided as with the ample fat reserves for fuel and water I finished strong. Legs felt good after.
    Groin feels well improved again today.

This week: 2 x swims this week (did a good solid long swim last night) and I will be back on turbo also.
    The plan for the Wicklow Half this Sunday is to run slightly faster than MP – about 6:00/ mile. The hills will be ideal for Boston preparation.

Weekly Summary 17/03/13

Mon – Lunch – 6.2 mile run (06:56m/m) HR 135.
    - Late eve - Swim 2.35km. Pace 1:54/ 100m
    Tue – Eve - 10.25 mile run (06:39m/m) HR 145
    Wed – PM – 9.61 mile run (06:23m/m) with 7 x 1km intervals & 500m recovery. Avg 3:23/km HR 150.
    Thurs - Early am - 9 mile run (06:51) HR 138
    Fri – Rest
    Sat – Early am. 10.31 miles (06:42m/m) HR 138
    Sun - Early am. 10.77 miles (06:37m/m) HR 138
    EuroDisney
    (Mon 18th - PM. 22 mile long run (06:36m/m) HR 147)
    Long

Totals: 8 days
    Run x 7 – 78.14 miles - 8hr 39 min
    Bike x 0–
    Swim x 1 – 2.35km. Time – 44 min
    Total Time – 9hr 23 min.

Under 4 weeks to Boston

I've included Mon in the figures to make me feel better. :)
    With the family trip to Euro Disney from Thur - Mon it again was going to be a challenging week. I had planned 2nd swim but it didn't happen. No bike happened either but that wasn't planned anyway. However if you include Mon long run the 8 days run block looks ok.
    I really didn't feel up to the 7 x 1km reps on Wed. The first 4 were into the wind, and after no.1, well physically things got easier. I was pleased enough with pace but was shagged at the end. I managed an early run on Thur before our flight and decided on rest day Fri but with all the walking it didn't feel so. That place is huge.
    I did manage to hurt my same problemtic groin on the Twilight Zone Hollwood Ride of Terror. I just wanted it to end. I don’t feel that bad as Sebastian Chabal didn’t appear to love it also. Poor Liam who is 3 yr was just silent all through it while Nicole couldn't wait to go back on it.

I was feeling some groin pain on the early Sat run but this had improved by Sunday's thanks to Iberfuren. I was totally shattered on our return Mon. The long run was certainly a character building session. I would have accepted any excuse not to run the planned 20 + miles. Weather cold and crap and dogey groin concerned me. Having ran against the wind to the turn point my pace was avg 06:43 and that improved on the way back. The legs were feeling fine the only concern was getting low on fuel. A bloody hound had a right go at me 5 miles from home and I almost took my only gel after as I felt low. However I resisted that and bad feeling subsided as with the ample fat reserves for fuel and water I finished strong. Legs felt good after.
    Groin feels well improved again today.

This week: 2 x swims this week (did a good solid long swim last night) and I will be back on turbo also.
    The plan for the Wicklow Half this Sunday is to run slightly faster than MP – about 6:00/ mile. The hills will be ideal for Boston preparation.

Weekly Summary 24/03/13

Mon – PM. 22 mile long run (06:36m/m) HR 147
    Tue – Lunch. 6.51 mile run (06:49m/m) HR 139
    Late eve - Swim 2.75km. Pace 1:51/ 100m. CD 250m
    Wed – Eve. 10.21 mile run (06:27m/m) HR 145
    Thurs – Eve Club swim session 2.75km.
    4 x 100 descending with 5 secs break - about 1:40-45.
    8 x 50 in about 45 sec off 70secs,
    3 x 200 off 3:50, with 50 easy (3:25-3-30, 3:30-35, & 3:40
    last group.
    Fri - Early am – 8.15 mile run (06:57) HR 142
    Sat – AM. 7.45 miles with 7 x pick-ups. Pace 06:44m/m HR 140
    Sun - AM 21.4 miles with Wicklow Half
    marathon in 1:17:18. Position 3rd. HR 165

Totals:
    Run x 6 – 75.7 miles - 8hr 21 min (Highest weekly milage ever)
    Bike x 0
    Swim x 2 – 5.75km. Time – 1 hr 56 min
    Total Time – 10hr 17 min.

An odd but good week.

A week where it seems my swimming is continuing to make progress, though zero bikes and running was a bit all over the place.
    I like steady long swims though coaches say these should be done infrequently. My pace for the Tues swim was similar to late Aug 2012 so well improved over same time last year. Even though I felt strong, I am still lacking in endurance somewhat. I took two quick stops at 1.5 and 2.4km.
    I had planned a turbo session on Fri evening but was tired from an early morning run in atrocious conditions. Anyway mojo was zero for it. Getting to work and home were big adventures due to all the closed motorways and roads. I think I did the right think and binned it.
    I had planned a 5 x 1km run session on Thur but due to a work lunch decided to bring forward a harder session to Wed. I included 4km of the hardest section of the weekend’s half marathon route.
    So as it turned out I wasn’t confident of a good run in the HM. My groin was starting to act up again. I felt stale in Fri and Sat runs and efforts also felt labored.

Wicklow HM
    A couple of early warm up miles to collect my no. with the dog and then chilled out with breakfast and paper before a few more miles to the start. Met BB67 in his usual chirpy form. Pronator (Ian) was well covered up too. I barely knew him.
    6 min pace (3:43 / km) was my plan. But the freezing cold, loads of hills, a strong east wind and a dogey groin I thought were against that.
    Ian and I set off running together. His plan was 05:55-6:00 though I figured he was really after a pace quicker than that. Anyway we settled in 5th and 6th and took it steady with the wind behind us. The first click showed 03:37, this seemed quick and I didn’t think I would be able to sustain anything like this. But I decided to run with the club mate for company, getting a few elbow digs here and there. It brought me back to me GAA days.
    We covered the first 5km at a steady 03:36 / km and had moved up to 2nd and 3rd now. The next 5k would be testing, the hardest in the course.
    Our 6km was uphill into a strong artic headwind. I felt we weren’t moving. I thought I was on the limit a few times especially at the 10km point but managed to get back on track on the down hill sections. Last 5km @ 03:50/km.
    Just past the 10km point I’m feeling strong again as I figured it was downhill then to about 15km. I’ve never actually run this section on my training runs even though it close to my gaff. As the hills continue they are gladly more downs than ups. We run at a good clip in parts as we continue to run side by side. I figure if I get to 15km it will have been a good session and I expected Ian will set off at 5km pace or something. Last 5km @ 03:34/km pace.
    We had moved over to the right side of the road to get shelter from the wind but in reality we seemed to get none. My groin began getting sore too. Also at any point I expected my legs to feel the pain as the long drags came into play. But they still felt good.
    Ian was getting annoyed. We didn’t speak much but by 18km he was wondering would the hills ever stop. Our momentum increased by 19k and as we crested the last of the hills at 20km (last 5km @ 03:39/km) Ian upped the pace a bit more.
    It took me a few secs to respond but I knew this guy had loads more in the tank and settled 10-15m behind him on the last fast downhill section. I knew it would be fruitless trying to take on a younger runner!:)

With the finish time of 1:17:18 it was just 30 secs outside the Kinvara HM 3 weeks ago. It was also quicker than 2012 though that route was slightly hillier.
    My HR effort would indicate I had more left. I won’t be leaving anything behind come Boston in 21 days

This week:
    Legs feeling very good today which is a great positive.
    2 x swims again this week and a promise to myself I will get on the turbo midweek
    Heading to UK on Fri for Easter so 2nd last long run before April 15th will be Sat on less than ideal roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats Joe. Well done on the podium. :cool:

Nice progress on the swimming too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Fantastic pace for that course and day Joe. Hope those legs are nice and rested for kicking on Thurs!;)
    Pronator (Ian) was well covered up too. I barely knew him.

I had a look at the photo's- I've seen less lycra on triathletes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

I felt like those corner forwards you used to mark in the good old days with the elbows flying:D

You can be very happy with that Joe, it was mighty tough out there and the circa 4 miles I had to do after it where as tough mentally as the race.

You never know what you might get from Boston;)

Weekly Summary 31/03/13
    Mon – Lunch 7.05 mile run (06:51m/m)
    Tue – Lunch. 8.4 mile run (06:49m/m) HR 138
    Late eve - Swim 2.1km. Focused on technique. Also 50’s x 10 off 60 in 47secs
    Wed – Evening: Turbo 75 mins with 1 x 18 min & 2 x 21 min
    40km,31.7kph, Avg Watts 203. Cad 86. HR 121
    Thurs– Lunch 9.63 mile with 5 x 1km (03:16 /km rep (500m recoveries)
    Overall pace 06:29m/m HR 148
    Eve Club swim session 2km. Recap of last 10 wks & technique
    Fri - PM – 11.11 progression run (07:00 – 05:38 m/m) Avg pace 06:21m/m HR 146
    Sat – AM. 21.25 mile run (06:41m/m) HR 145
    Sun - AM Easy 9.25 mile run (06:57 m/m) HR133

Totals:
    Run x 6 – 66.7 miles - 7hr 24 min
    Bike x 1. 40km. 1hr 16.
    Swim x 2 – 4.1km. Time – 1 hr 35 min
    Total Time – 10hr 15 min.

Boston - Almost there

After the HM week it was going to be interesting how I responded to the last testing week before Boston marathon taper
    The legs felt good on Mon but DOM’s were present on the Tues run. I decided to give the legs a rest from running on Wed and was reasonably confident of the 5 x 1km reps on Thur. The first 2 had the benefit of a slight tail wind and profile
    During the 4th it got noticeably harder and by mid way through the 5th my legs were empty. Reps: 03:12, 3:12, 3:12, 3:13, 3:26. However I was pleased enough with the effort.
    Fri’s run turned into progression one. Shortly after arriving into Warrington via early ferry and car I escaped onto familiar roads The legs felt ok after the day before and I finished the run off with a few quick miles. I was bad then and was easily talked into a few pints down the local.
    Sat run was all about just getting it done. Nothing fancy, I didn’t talk myself into a 15 @ MP or anything like that (well done club mates on your Sat outing)
    Some nice easy miles on Sun and all feeling ok

Have I done enough for Boston?

- to achieve a time I will be happy with?
    That is the $64,000 question.

At least I’ve been consistent in the last 8 weeks after 5 wk’s of little running before that

Wk 1 – 33 miles
    Wk 2 – 45 miles
    Wk 3 – 61 miles
    Wk 4 – 48 miles
    Wk 5 – 70 miles
    Wk 6 – 56 miles
    Wk 7 – 76 miles
    Wk 8 – 67 miles

On the face of it I have to be happy with my progress. 10 weeks ago I was just hoping to make the start line.
    Weight is a couple of kg's above where I would like and last weekends indulgements didn't help
    Mileage is defiantly down from 12 months previous and the absence of MP workouts and higher tempo stuff is noticeable. But recent HM’s and long run form indicates in 12 days time I may have a chance to pull something out of the bag.

My last blow out is this evening in a local 5k race.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

[B

My last blow out is this evening in a local 5k race.

Joe this ain't no local 5k race. It's the Wicklow 5k championships :-)

Keep up the good work.

Best of luck in Boston Joe. Give it socks! :cool:

Weekly Summary 07/04/13

Mon – Eve 5.1 mile easy run (06:55m/m) HR 136
    Tue – Lunch. 8 mile “easy ” run (06:54m/m). Feeling ill
    Late eve - Swim 2.5km. Pace 1:52/100m
    Wed – Lunch: 3.5 mile run with some pick up’s.
    Eve – 7.8 miles with 5K race in 16:56. HR 170
    Thurs- Late Eve – 2.6km Coached swim session. Arrived a little late
    8x100 off 2:00, target on 1:33. Actual 1:35
    50 easy
    2*(4x100 off 1:50), target in on 1:33. Actual 1:34
    50 easy)
    4*(4x50 off 60), target in on 45-46. Actual 45-46, apart from 2 at 47 in last 4
    50 easy)
    Fri - Took a rest day. Not feeling well
    Sat – AM. 9.5 miles easy (06:57 m/m) HR139
    Sun - Lunch 13 miles (06:44 m/m) HR138

Totals:

Run x 6 – 46.9 miles - 5hr 18 min
    Bike x 0.
    Swim x 2 – 5.1km. Time – 1 hr 43 min
    Total Time – 7hr 01 min.

Taper – Unwell for the first time.

I felt really off form on the easy paced Tues run so much I thought I was going to get sick half way through. I should have turned back to base after a mile or two like the wise man TTR would do.
    Surprisingly enough I felt fine again in the steady swim later that evening
    I had marked down the Wicklow 5k road race a while back. I figured I was in sub 16:30 form as the course was kinder than year previous and my recent numbers suggested I could achieve that. But with the stiff NE cold breeze on the outbound section it was going to make it very a testing run.
    I linked up with club mates Krusty, BB67 and Neil and I was reasonably confident of a good performance.
    First km was a long drag into the wind but found myself boxed in the main group of 10 or so as I felt the pace very slow. Passed the 1km mark in 3:28 and I just had to get out of this claustrophobia - bad move. I went into 2nd and Gary followed and the legs felt good. Just like that I then found myself working harder than I should. 2km - 3:25. Oh fcuk. We had opened up a gap of perhaps 20m but I couldn't find good form. Turned for home and still a reasonable gap with Gary now surging ahead. 3km 3:32. I could not believe how slow I was going. I dug deeper with breeze behind now but by 4km (3:19) I could hear footsteps closing in. Inside the last 500m I was overtaken, a first for me and as I tried to increase effort further I was beaten into 5th 50 m from the finish (03:12 last km).
    At the time I thought it was a bit of a disaster but on closer evaluation I was tired and in no condition to run my best 5k ever. Our team won 1st place so that is good.

I decided on no running on Thurs. However I enjoyed that night's swim session. Maybe it was due to not running earlier in the day but while I initially thought the coach’s target times were beyond me especially for the 100's, I was quite pleased I managed to get close to the targets he set. I like his style Having Kurt lead out also helps – cheers lad.

However Fri wasn't so good. Felt worse as day went on, sore bones and muscles ached. Sat run was an easy one, again feeling similar on Sun but actually found the run fine.

Hopefully I am now on the mend. Ran easy again yesterday thought still didn’t feel good, I canned the run today again. Just hoping now I am starting to come out of it, though a 4:30am rise tomorrow to see me into 2 long days in Germany for work is hardly ideal for an ambitious run next Mon!

And target for the race?
    Looking at no's and training data it would indicate I could get close to Dublin marathon '10 time of 2:41. If I hadn't contracted this set back I was hopeful of squeezing into 2:39.
    We will have to see now.

The misses and I fly out 11:30am Sat.
    Beepbeep 67 is flying at same time on his quest in Rotterdam. We will meet for a coffee and a hug:) and then run into our unknowns once again.

Bib no. 258

lovely stuff. I've taken the afternoon off work. Hope to watch it live on eurosport with live updates from the laptop. Looking forward to it :)

Hopefully you start to feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Boston? It is all downhill right? :)

Best of luck with it Joe - your improvement-with-age is mind boggling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck Joe, hope whatever is in the system clears up so you can give Boston a good rattle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Joe. I picked up a cold just before I was hitting taper so you need to go out and smash Boston now to give me confidence I can do the same.

I'm relying on you. Don't let me down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Have a good one JiJoe, hope you hit the start line healthy!

+1 on Izoards comment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hope you are feeling better. Enjoy the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Nothing, not even London, can prepare you for the atmosphere at Boston. Soak it all up. Just watch the downhills, especially the one after Heartbreak Hill. Make sure to get a kiss from a Wellesley girl!

Best of luck Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Have a great trip champ and hope all goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'll see you in Boston!!! Woo hoo!!!! :D

Don't fcuk it up. Enjoy
    That is all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck this weekend. And don't forget that these single sport events are only training sessions in the grand scheme of things anyway :pac:

Best of luck Joe. Enjoy the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck Monday,

Advertisement