Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Thanks all for good wishes.
    I thought after 3 more days I'd have more positive news. However the recovery is very slow from this
    I'm still tired (could be from the work trip though) and my chest is full of crap since Wed . Little running and some 7 min miles yesterday didn't feel good. Canned a 5 miler at lunch, might go out for a few early tomorrow. I've a rub down planned for later

I need some kind of miracle now if I can somehow wig a decent time over there.

(No pitiful replies)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Abhainn wrote: »
    Thanks all for good wishes.
    I thought after 3 more days I'd have more positive news. However the recovery is very slow from this
    I'm still tired (could be from the work trip though) and my chest is full of crap since Wed . Little running and some 7 min miles yesterday didn't feel good. Canned a 5 miler at lunch, might go out for a few early tomorrow. I've a rub down planned for later

I need some kind of miracle now if I can somehow wig a decent time over there.

(No pitiful replies)

Man the fcuk up and get on with it (was that pitiless enough?:D)

Best of luck with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Doesn't sound like the 50 year old stubborn bastard I know.

Some research for you

http://timeoutboston.com/restaurants-bars/bars/24159/bostons-best-craft-beer-bars

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

catweazle wrote: »

Some research for you

http://timeoutboston.com/restaurants-bars/bars/24159/bostons-best-craft-beer-bars
    Bukowski Tavern was the one place I hoped to visit after the marathon. Sounds amazing. All the pubs are thumping after the marathon though as the entire state goes on the pi$$ for the public holiday. Impossible not to have a great time. I think I might have to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

Hope the lungs clear up for you Joe and you have a great run on Monday!

• Advertisement

Some research for you

Ah good man CW. If the running doesn't work out sure I've something to fall back on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

griffin100 wrote: »
    Man the fcuk up and get on with it

This is why I love boards.ie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

He's passed through 10k in 37:10.

Tracker, he's no. 258

Split time diff min/mile miles/h
    5K 00:18:31 18:31 05:58 10.08
    10K 00:37:10 18:39 06:01 9.99
    15K 00:55:53 18:43 06:02 9.96

Nicely consistant. This part is slightly downhill though, there's a few hills to come.

2:48:56 finish, those hills must have hurt towards the end.

Phenomenal time though, given recent missed training and illness, well done Joe!

• Advertisement

Boston Marathon Report

I will never forget the Boston marathon of 2013, sadly now for all for the wrong reasons.
    15th April 2013 should have been a day of celebration for runners, families and friends but now for most will be remembered for those barbaric acts
    The new friends we met over there were lucky and so were we. Sarah (OH) had only returned to the hotel which was 500m away 25 mins before the bombings. This was her 4th bombing experience.

Even since the London marathon of 2012 (LM12), I was so looking forward to this event - the oldest marathon in the world, Boston city, the experience of it all. I’ve heard so many positive stories about the race that literally I couldn’t wait for it. They say you should never meet your idol as you will be disappointed, I think you should never expect to conquer the Boston marathon unless you are prepared for failure.

In short the Boston Marathon was the most difficult marathon to date for me. From the build up of anticipation over the past months, the positivisms running through my veins race morning, the terrible fear inside me to 13 miles then the unbelievable pain for the last 10, the huge anticlimax and disappointing finish and finally the aftermath.
    Maybe it was all a dream.

Marathon Preparation:
    For the first time my preparation for a marathon was since besieged with injuries. A back injury in late Oct caused by my own stubborn self, had me out of sorts for 5 weeks. I managed to overcome that and return to some sort of form, then pick up a groin strain in an XC race in early Jan. I did little running for the next 5 weeks so all I had was 8-9 weeks of marathon preparation.
    However 2 x solid HM’s and decent training had me confident of a respectable time for Boston. A 2:40 may have been possible but less than 2 weeks out I began to feel unwell, more proof then as I also underperformed in a 5k race and with one week to go I could barely run 7 min miles without stopping to cough up some lungs in the process.

Days Before
    Sarah and I arrived into Boston the Sat afternoon. We stayed at the Taj Hotel close to everything and got the expo thing done straight away that afternoon. There was an exciting vibe around the place. I was beginning to feel better health wise also. That night we had a great steak meal (thanks KC for the “Open Table” tip). :)
    Next morning I was awake very early, went for a 4 miler, feeling better. I was coughing up yet another lung when Larry Brent appeared. Soon after, the two of us and his kiddies went to see the 5k race.
    Later we went on the Duck Tour and hooked up with Dory and DukeofDromada. The tour was great; I even got my chance at the wheel on the Charles River. :)
    Later we fed ourselves at a nice Italian Cantina and were tucked up in bed by 9:30pm.

Mon – Race day
    I had a good sleep. I jumped on the scales and these also confirmed I had lost well over a kilo in the last week and was only 2kg over LM12. I felt very relaxed this race morning, the best I felt in over 2 weeks. Everything ran smoothly for Larry Brent and me and his buddies out to Hopkinton to the race start.
    My plan was sub 2:45, start off at 6:15 pace and hold it to 16 miles and then pull back slightly up the 4 Newton hills to mile 21.
    I was in wave 1 corral 1 so I had no difficulty with congestion as the race started. I found myself running at 6:00 pace and with the steep down-hills and gradual inclines this wasn’t an effort. Loads though were passing me and while I continued to run consistently at the 6:00 pace I never felt fully relaxed and flowing but then again it wasn’t really too difficult either. My HR which was elevated in days up to the race was also behaving itself. Actually to mile 13 it was probably equal to that in LM12. However there was this terrible fear inside me that at some point I would implode. It was always at the front of my mind to be prepared to ease back the pace if something was imminent.
    I recognized and shouted out something positive to Team Hoyt at 8 miles, what an inspiration to all they are, and from miles 10- 12, I felt the best in the race. A 1:19:00 at half way and then it all began to happen. My left quad went first; it was as if lead had been injected into it
    Then shortly after, my right quad went. By mile 16 my legs were in total bits. I couldn’t understand this, I rarely experience heavy quads and never in a race.
    From then until the finish I walked through each mile water station and sometimes between the mile markers trying to relieve the pain. Then the coughing started and I had to hold my groin during those fits as I ran because of the pain it inflicted down there. Thankfully none of the photos show this.

But in all this the crowd was simply remarkable. “Common no. 258 you can do it, you can do it” “You are an inspiration” – my head down, this is all I heard. It always got louder every time as I walked to rid the pain. Each time they brought me back to reality and then the extraordinary cheers as I lifted my head, waved to show appreciation as I began to run again.
    Running inside the last mile I looked so hard for that Tricolour my wife was waving. I looked out in vain and didn’t see it all the way in that long finish straight. I had dreamed of holding it around me to the finish, that’s the vision that helped me in those last 10 miles.
    I closed in on the finish and I seen the clock closing fast on 2:49:00 but I managed a burst to see me into the 2:48 split time.
    Utterly dejected I spoke to no one, smiled at the helpful volunteers and made my way back to the hotel a short distance away before the carnage began 2 hrs later. Boston 2013

You need to respect the Boston marathon route. I think you can only run your best on this course after you have experienced the race.
    It was only because of the crowd I managed my half respectable time. But I know deep down I underperformed and I am just biting at the bit at another fast marathon challenge next spring. I have an idea where it may be but before that I am hoping to lower my HM PB before too long.
    Finally a big thanks to Larry Brent, you know why, Dory for that excellent PB and been there for us all Mon night when we had a nice few and also the performance of the day to DukeofDromada who got this first sub 3 and can drink a pint quicker than me.
    Sorry I didn’t meet any other boardies.

Finally some clever person quoted the marathon:

Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart

Over and out for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Boston Marathon Report

I will never forget the Boston marathon of 2013, sadly now for all for the wrong reasons.
    15th April 2013 should have been a day of celebration for runners, families and friends but now for most will be remembered for those barbaric acts
    The new friends we met over there were lucky and so were we. Sarah (OH) had only returned to the hotel which was 500m away 25 mins before the bombings. This was her 4th bombing experience.

Even since the London marathon of 2012 (LM12), I was so looking forward to this event - the oldest marathon in the world, Boston city, the experience of it all. I’ve heard so many positive stories about the race that literally I couldn’t wait for it. They say you should never meet your idol as you will be disappointed, I think you should never expect to conquer the Boston marathon unless you are prepared for failure.

In short the Boston Marathon was the most difficult marathon to date for me. From the build up of anticipation over the past months, the positivisms running through my veins race morning, the terrible fear inside me to 13 miles then the unbelievable pain for the last 10, the huge anticlimax and disappointing finish and finally the aftermath.
    Maybe it was all a dream.

Marathon Preparation:
    For the first time my preparation for a marathon was since besieged with injuries. A back injury in late Oct caused by my own stubborn self, had me out of sorts for 5 weeks. I managed to overcome that and return to some sort of form, then pick up a groin strain in an XC race in early Jan. I did little running for the next 5 weeks so all I had was 8-9 weeks of marathon preparation.
    However 2 x solid HM’s and decent training had me confident of a respectable time for Boston. A 2:40 may have been possible but less than 2 weeks out I began to feel unwell, more proof then as I also underperformed in a 5k race and with one week to go I could barely run 7 min miles without stopping to cough up some lungs in the process.

Days Before
    Sarah and I arrived into Boston the Sat afternoon. We stayed at the Taj Hotel close to everything and got the expo thing done straight away that afternoon. There was an exciting vibe around the place. I was beginning to feel better health wise also. That night we had a great steak meal (thanks KC for the “Open Table” tip). :)
    Next morning I was awake very early, went for a 4 miler, feeling better. I was coughing up yet another lung when Larry Brent appeared. Soon after, the two of us and his kiddies went to see the 5k race.
    Later we went on the Duck Tour and hooked up with Dory and DukeofDromada. The tour was great; I even got my chance at the wheel on the Charles River. :)
    Later we fed ourselves at a nice Italian Cantina and were tucked up in bed by 9:30pm.

Mon – Race day
    I had a good sleep. I jumped on the scales and these also confirmed I had lost well over a kilo in the last week and was only 2kg over LM12. I felt very relaxed this race morning, the best I felt in over 2 weeks. Everything ran smoothly for Larry Brent and me and his buddies out to Hopkinton to the race start.
    My plan was sub 2:45, start off at 6:15 pace and hold it to 16 miles and then pull back slightly up the 4 Newton hills to mile 21.
    I was in wave 1 corral 1 so I had no difficulty with congestion as the race started. I found myself running at 6:00 pace and with the steep down-hills and gradual inclines this wasn’t an effort. Loads though were passing me and while I continued to run consistently at the 6:00 pace I never felt fully relaxed and flowing but then again it wasn’t really too difficult either. My HR which was elevated in days up to the race was also behaving itself. Actually to mile 13 it was probably equal to that in LM12. However there was this terrible fear inside me that at some point I would implode. It was always at the front of my mind to be prepared to ease back the pace if something was imminent.
    I recognized and shouted out something positive to Team Hoyt at 8 miles, what an inspiration to all they are, and from miles 10- 12, I felt the best in the race. A 1:19:00 at half way and then it all began to happen. My left quad went first; it was as if lead had been injected into it
    Then shortly after, my right quad went. By mile 16 my legs were in total bits. I couldn’t understand this, I rarely experience heavy quads and never in a race.
    From then until the finish I walked through each mile water station and sometimes between the mile markers trying to relieve the pain. Then the coughing started and I had to hold my groin during those fits as I ran because of the pain it inflicted down there. Thankfully none of the photos show this.

But in all this the crowd was simply remarkable. “Common no. 258 you can do it, you can do it” “You are an inspiration” – my head down, this is all I heard. It always got louder every time as I walked to rid the pain. Each time they brought me back to reality and then the extraordinary cheers as I lifted my head, waved to show appreciation as I began to run again.
    Running inside the last mile I looked so hard for that Tricolour my wife was waving. I looked out in vain and didn’t see it all the way in that long finish straight. I had dreamed of holding it around me to the finish, that’s the vision that helped me in those last 10 miles.
    I closed in on the finish and I seen the clock closing fast on 2:49:00 but I managed a burst to see me into the 2:48 split time.
    Utterly dejected I spoke to no one, smiled at the helpful volunteers and made my way back to the hotel a short distance away before the carnage began 2 hrs later. Boston 2013

You need to respect the Boston marathon route. I think you can only run your best on this course after you have experienced the race.
    It was only because of the crowd I managed my half respectable time. But I know deep down I underperformed and I am just biting at the bit at another fast marathon challenge next spring. I have an idea where it may be but before that I am hoping to lower my HM PB before too long.
    Finally a big thanks to Larry Brent, you know why, Dory for that excellent PB and been there for us all Mon night when we had a nice few and also the performance of the day to DukeofDromada who got this first sub 3 and can drink a pint quicker than me.
    Sorry I didn’t meet any other boardies.

Finally some clever person quoted the marathon:

Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart

Over and out for now.

Thanks for the report, abhainn. Fair play to you for toughing it out and still landing a super result. Glad to hear yourself and the other boardsies are okay. Also happy to hear Larry looked after you....no better man! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Your quote- "I think you should never expect to conquer the Boston marathon unless you are prepared for failure" is so true. There appears to be something about Boston that inspires runners to push limits.....limits that don't always translate into success or targeted goal achievements, but limits that might teach us something about ourselves, even in failure.

Great report - loved it from start to finish. You're class Joe, both in runners and a singlet, and in jeans and a t-shirt. And speaking of class, thank you for teaching me that rhyming, snappy, fun dance term over drinks Monday night - now that was class. See you in October! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Nice one Joe - the rest of us can only dream of a 2.48, so I don't have much sympathy for ya..;)

Class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

^^^^^^^ what Izoard said. 2.48 would be a great time for us mere mortals. Glad you as your wife are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Peckham

Most importantly, did you get a sticker and a high five after steering the boat?!

It sure is a great event in an amazing city. Can't wait to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Nice write up in the local paper too

Izoard wrote: »
    Nice one Joe - the rest of us can only dream of a 2.48, so I don't have much sympathy for ya..;)

Class act.

Class act - no way. This one I need to forget about quickly.

And then we saw what you did in IM SA
    Peckham wrote: »
    Most importantly, did you get a sticker and a high five after steering the boat?!

Neither. :) I feel let down now but at least I got a photo
    dna_leri wrote: »
    Nice write up in the local paper too

The one and only Sligo Champion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just reading this now Joe. Good honest report. What most of us wouldn't give to be disappointed with a 2:48 marathon :D Glad to hear ye are all safe and sound

16.5 weeks to Challenge IM Almere

Post Boston has been challenging. There’s a lot of stuff going on, including work which is a bit mental (2 of us now, down one woman!), trying to get stuff done at home, wife, kids dog setc etc. I can’t relax, always something to be done

I’ve been tired overall, that bloody virus may have stuck around longer than I thought. Waiting back on some blood tests now.

But mojo has been low especially on the running front. To be honest I haven’t run much. Been avg mid 30’s miles, little love for most runs, actually some have been horrible, so horrible. That’s it apart from that recent Kildare half which went well for me. More about that below.

The swimming is continuing to come along I’m well ahead of where I was this time last year thanks to coach Mark. I’m hoping to build on that now and increase weekly swims from 2 to 3 and the occasional 4. Been in the OW x 2 and the new wetsuit (Aquaman Bionik) in storage for 8 months has finally seen some action.

Biking is coming along too. Weekends long bike is closing in on 4hrs though I am dreading the 4 hrs + rides. It will take up too much precious Sat time. The weekly bike commute to work commences tomorrow. I’ve been out on the TT just twice though.

The Rosses Point Olympic triathlon is on Sat. I’m just looking for a solid performance, I hear the run is majority on the beach. That may not be good for my very sore right achilles, which seems to have come for no where.

Kildare Half

I had probably two decent run sessions since Boston. On some of my runs I just wanted to end a couple of miles in but because I was a few miles from home / work I had to get back. My head wasn’t in it.
    I sort of gambled in doing this race. I just wanted to restore positive feeling into my running after that poor show in Boston. If I had performed badly then it would be a negative outlook for rest the of the year.
    Heading into race I had no real goals just to run 13 miles steady, without stopping.
    The day had gone well so far seeing Beepbeep 67 easily achieve his sub 3 goal in the marathon (I was well pleased) and also Peter Mooney get under 2:35 in the same race. Excellent running by both.

A strong wind greeted the start of half race, thankfully on our backs early. By the end of mile 1 I was in 8th at the back of a group running fairly relaxed. Terrain and conditions became more difficult in mile 2 and then 3 was a baxtard (06:20) into a strong headwind and long drag. At that point there was 2 of us running together for 5 & 6th position.
    Finally some respite and more sheltered conditions I was running on my own by mile 5 throwing out steady sub 6’s, with 4th and 3rd positions 30-35’s secs ahead . I focused on trying to relax but still the effort wasn’t easy.
    By mile 8 I noticed I was closing on the 2 runners up the road. In reality the effort was becoming harder, and if I didn’t have that target ahead I might have slowed down. During mile 9 I overtook 4th pace at a water station on an incline and then closed in on 3rd during the drag around Kildare town. At mile 11 at the water station on that hill I took 3rd .
    I didn’t push on hard,just eased on the pace . The pleasant tail wind and sight of the finish in the far distance was welcome. In the last mile I was conscious the 2 weren’t too far behind but I always felt I had an extra gear left if needed.

Time 1:18:37. HR avg 167. 3rd Position

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/311675690

Footnote: Thanks to Anto for the 5* facilities again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

The Rosses Point Olympic triathlon is on Sat. I’m just looking for a solid performance, I hear the run is majority on the beach. That may not be good for my very sore right achilles, which seems to have come for no where.

Good luck in Rosses Point, should be less than 50% run on sand - over and back the 2nd beach, usually pretty firm when the tide is out.

Challenge IM Almere – 14 weeks

It’s time again for another update.
    Build phase is continuing – just about satisfactory. Though it is becoming more challenging by the week to fit everything in.

The Sligo Oly was completed. I was never going to do great things there but I did learn from it. Report below.

Work is crazy, my team of 3 will soon become 1, not sure how the Lone Ranger will juggle things. The good thing is that the positions will be back filled but that is little good to me until Sept.
    I’ve at least 2 x work trips planned (Barcelona & Heidleberg) before the family break in early July tough I will try my best to duck out of these.

Swimming:
    I’m getting in 3 x swims per week. Been maximizing and enjoying the OW recently.
    Up to 3k OW now in 54 mins. Need to get back into pool again though.

Biking:
    Again getting in 3 x bikes / week. Commute to work 1 day / week => 53k each way. Long bike is now up to 5hrs though pace isn’t fantastic (28kph) and it isn’t easy facing into headwinds on your own. I need to ensure I run off the long bike more. Running legs weren’t responsive last Sunday after the 5hr bike on Sat

Running:
    In build phase again. I’ve lost a lot of the running fitness. I decided to take 8 days off complete running after Sligo oly. Achilles was slow to improve and seems ok again

Summary:
    Totals: (last week)

Swim x 2 – 4 km. Time - 1hr 40min
    Bike x 3 – 245km. Time - 8h 30min
    Run x 3 – 38 km. Time - 2hr 40 min

Total Time – 12hr 50 min.

Totals: (week before)

Swim x 3 – 7.55km. Time - 2hr 36min
    Bike x 3 – 227km. Time - 8h 09min
    Run x 0 – km. Time 0

Total Time – 10hr 45 min.

Upcoming Races:
    June 12th Aquathlon Bray
    June 22nd Dunshaughlin 10k (possible)
    July 21st Beast of the East (If I can get an cancellation entry)
    Aug 4th Shadowman Half Iron Athlone

Sligo Oly Tri Report
    I was a major doubt due to my sore achilles. I ran 10k the evening before at a nice clip (4:00/km). While my legs felt fresh and the injury behaved well it was very tight the following morning as I travelled to the race.
    Objective of the race was to get back into tri racing mode. I was prepared to pull out of the run if required

It was my first race in Sligo & 20 years since I set foot in Rosses point. That’s when I last beered there. Good to meet Baambaata and pgibbo before hand and El D after

Swim:
    We swam into the wind so the sea was choppy so it wasn’t easy avoiding swallowing the sea water. As the swim progressed I felt stronger and started overtaking swimmers during the last 1/3 of the swim. I couldn’t believe it when I excited the water and 31:06 on the watch. Thankfully a few measured the swim at 1.75-1.8km.

T1:
    It was almost a 2min run to the transition. Loads of bikes left in the area. Fumbled putting on socks, had just tri top for the bike which was a big mistake.

Bike:
    It started to rain almost immediately and the wind turned variable and increased.
    I was cold straight away. I just couldn’t get my bike legs working. On bike rides it takes me 30 mins to get the muscles warmed up but in this 40km I just got colder as the bike progressed. There was no good fighting it, pgibbo passed me on the 2nd lap. I actually couldn’t be bothered chasing him down. Feet were like icicles as the rain turned heavier. I had to take a couple of nurefen as the achilles became very tight and had to stretch it many times. The road surface was poor in places. Any pace I had was sucked away from me
    Bike 1:16. Brutal

T2:
    Went ok though my runners were difficult to get on. At least I could warm up now on the run.

Run:
    With feet frozen I felt no pain from the injury. Plan for the run was just to go out steady and controlled.
    We had to run the beach section twice and I really enjoyed this. There was a steep ramp we had to run up (and down) from the beach to the road. It was a lovely testing run. I increased the effort a little for the 2nd 5k and happy enough at the outcome.
    39:05 for 9.9km.

Overall Time - 2:32

Weekly Summary 16th June
    Mon – Lunch 10.65km run (04:19/km). HR139.
    Tue – Lunch. 12.05km run (04:14/km). HR141
    Wed – Lunch. 5.67km run (04:15/km) with 30 sec pick up’s. HR 128
    Evening. Aquathon 750m swim 4.7km run in 29:50. HR 157.
    Position 14th
    Thur – Early am. 52km bike commute to work @ 25.9kph. HR 118
    PM 54km bike home @ 30.3kph. HR 120
    Fri – 2.0km swim in 37:04. 1:51/100M
    Sat – Early am. Brick – 105km bike (28.2kph, HR 125) Run 5.9km (04:15/km, HR146)
    Sat bike
    Sun – AM. Run 20km @ 4:15/ km pace. HR142.

Last week was mostly about getting back into regular running. I am still very tentative about recent injuries especially the groin again
    By Sundays run though I could feel that reasonable form was returning. The run leg of the Aquathon was a good blow out, more about that below.

Swimming was very poor last week. OH had a lot of work commitments on and when the pool doesn’t open early all week days the opportunities to get there are less.
    I had half planned an OW for the weekend but combination of tiredness and stuff on it never happened.
    Got another 3 bikes sessions under my belt. The early commute to work on Thur was just a dog. Shortly after I left, the rain poured down and that with strong headwind all the way made it a memorable slow slog. The Sat ride was good for a while with Beepbeep 67 for company, but then I faced into a strong headwind on the road towards Roundwood & Laragh. Legs were empty at 35km. probably a combination of Wed race and Thurs bikes.

Immediate Plans
    => get back onto the TT bike this week
    => commence run reps, probably km’s again
    => get more disciplined in swimming

I’m still hoping to get a good 2 weeks in now before family hols on the 5th July.
    Still supposed to be travelling next week (Spain and Ger) so further challenges ahead incl the first big tester - 182 Bike on the 29th.

Summary:
    Totals:

Swim x 2 – 2.75 km. Time - 47min
    Bike x 3 – 211km. Time - 7h 31min
    Run x 6 – 59 km. Time - 4hr 25 min (Incl. brick and race)

Total Time – 12hr 33 min.

Upcoming Races:
    July 17th Aquathon Bray 750m swim 5k run
    July 21st Beast of the East (Confirmed)
    July 28th Castleconnor 5k Road Race Sligo
    Aug 4th Shadowman Half Iron Athlone
    Aug 14th Aquathon Bray 750m swim, 5k run
    Sept 15th Challenge Almere Ironman

Not doing Dunshaughlin 10k now.

Bray Aquathon
    Twas my first time doing one of these. I figured it would be a good mid week blow out session, I needed some sharpening up.
    About 150 entered. Men went in 2nd swim wave. Conditions misty windy and cold.
    Got going anyway. Loads of bodies and congestion especially at the turn of the first bouy. We came to swim still, bit like fish in a net, no where to go. Not a very good feeling. Got going again and because of the wind and right hand breathing a took in a few mouthfuls of water. Just about getting into a rhythm when the rocky beach was reached. Exited water in 10:40
    Fumbled at transition. Feet freezing again. Lost time here getting into shoes and more getting Garmin set up. (Figured it cost me 15-20 secs, 2 places and because of this got chicked also)
    Eased into the run with numb feet. Just conscious of not to pull something and cold legs.
    Run consisted of 2 laps with the far turnaround point after a steep 420m climb which we had to do twice. The 1st time is was testing , the 2nd time uncomfortable. I had a good run though and avg just over 6min pace overall. 17:37 for 4.7km run. I will be targeting low 17’s next time round when I get some speed onto my legs again

Round 2 aquathon. A pint says I get the first lap complete before you catch me? (I need motivation:))

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Round 2 aquathon. A pint says I get the first lap complete before you catch me? (I need motivation:))

Is this for my benefit or yours?:)

Is this for my benefit or yours?:)

Both. You want to up your run, I want to up my swim... you'll pass me at some stage, so lets see if I can hold out for one lap...

(Ok, its for my benefit. I'll take a pyrrhic victory of my own making. I'll even buy a medal:D)

Weekly Summary 23rd June

Mon – Late eve. 2.25km swim
    250m WU
    400 x 2 (07:10, 06:59) off 8min,
    300 x 2 (5:12, 5:14) off 6 min,
    200 x 2 (3:28, 3:32) off 4 min
    100 x2 (1:42, 1:42) off 2 min.
    No WD
    Tue – Lunch. 11.8km run (04:12/km). HR142
    Wed – Lunch. 13.8k run with 5 x 1km @ 03:27/km avg, 500m recovery. HR151
    Evening. 3km OW swim. Pace 1:49/100m
    Thur – Early am. 52km TT bike commute to work @ 30.0kph. HR 125
    PM 54km TT bike home @ 30.8kph.
    Fri – 1.75km swim. Pace 1:52/100M
    Sat – Early am. Brick – 120km bike (28.5kph, HR 126) Run 4.75km (04:14/km,
    HR143)
    Sun – AM. Run 20.5km @ 4:19/ km pace. HR136
    Recovery 1km swim @ 02:01 /100m.

This time last year I ran 34:20 in Dunshaughlin 10k. While the running 1 year later is not quite back to that level, it is slowly improving.

This was the best week to date as I achieved ticked off good sessions in all disciplines. An extra recovery run would have been the icing on the cake.

As mentioned above I am returning to some running form. This appears to be some improved efficiency in my runs. The Wed interval session turned out better than expected. I had aimed to keep the reps at 3:40/km pace due to groin tenderness but settled in nicely to sub 3:30/km pace and held it well. While the HR was way up on the last one the legs felt good.
    Swimming was decent too but I had to cut short 2 sessions due to time up in the pool. At least I had completed the session on Mon by the time up. Fri session was similar.
    A solid 3K OW with Kurt on Wed was enjoyable. The wet suit is almost too warm when you swim 50 mins + at a time

Biking was fine. 2 x TT to and from work, getting used to time on that again I was very glad of the company on the Sat long spin. Met up with Beepbeep 67 before 7am and we had 85km done leaving me with 35km to make my 4hr+ goal time. Wind was nasty in places and somehow we escaped the showers.

Summary:
    Totals:
    Swim x 4 – 8.0 km. Time – 2hr 33min
    Bike x 3 – 226km. Time - 7h 41min
    Run x 4 – 51 km. Time - 3hr 35 min
    Total Time – 13hr 49 min.

Looking forward to tracking a local Wicklow guy in IM Austria at the weekend
    He may not be too far off sub 9

For me a bit of a crazy week ahead. It could be a 22hr day tomorrow due to a day trip to Barcelona (enforced rest day). Hoping to get 180km bike in on Sat.
    Feeling tired. OH working tonight, kids are fed, next put them to bed with stories & cuddles, another hr + of work to do then …..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That 3k OW stands out... good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

+1 Joe, thats 69min IM swim territory which is a good sign so far out. Looks like swimming is in better shape than last year. Solid week put down.

• Advertisement

+1 Joe, thats 69min IM swim territory which is a good sign so far out. Looks like swimming is in better shape than last year. Solid week put down.

Right now I'd be well pissed with a 69 come Sept 15th :rolleyes: 69?? ha
    Goal is sub 65 min.

Welcome back husband MCOS - and pleased to see you joined this not so exclusive club:p

and JB roll on FK. :D

Advertisement