Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Weekly Summary 25th August

Mon – Eve: Pool 2.55k swim. Pace 1:52 / 100m
    Tue – Lunch Run. 11.4km (04:15/km).
    Eve 4.0k Pool Swim. Through 3.8k in 68:30. Pace 1:48/100m
    Wed – Early am. 52km bike commute to work @ 28.0kph. HR 116
    PM. 53km TT bike home @ 30.0kph. HR 114
    Thurs –Lunch Run. 13.63km with 5 x 1km progressive intervals with 500m recovery.
    Avg 3:28 / 1km interval
    Fri – Eve: Swim session 3500m
    400m WU, then 5 sets of
    (200 off 4min. 150 off 3 min, 100 off 2min, 50 off 1min) with 50 easy between
    sets
    200’s avg 03:18,
    150’s avg, avg 02:27
    100’s avg,01:36
    50’s avg 0:46
    400 WD
    Sat – AM Long brick. TT Bike – 155k. 32.5Kph, HR 127
    Run 8k @ 04:17. HR 139.
    Sun – AM. Long run 34km @ 04:14/km. HR 139

Summary:
    Totals:
    Swim x 3 – 10.05km. Time – 3hr 13min
    Bike x 3 – 260km. Time - 8h 22min
    Run x 4 - 67km. Time - 4hr 44 min

Total Time – 16hr 19 min.

Peak week and feeling good
    For once I managed to get all planned sessions in Ideally I would have liked to get in an extra recovery session in each discipline and maybe a few extra clicks on the brick run on Sat but all in all I’m happy with how week turned out.

Swim: First pool straight IM swim and 3rd swim day in a row. Feared I would struggle in the last 1km but I held form well throughout building it from 750m in. I was a little surprised initially at coming in 4 mins quick in a similar session last year. Took two x quick water breaks in this. Fri session was a variation on the one previous Fri. Again a tester but was strong right through the last set.

Bike: Legs were unresponsive on Wed’s bikes but they had come well around for the long TT on Sat. with little achiness in my back just some tightness on my neck.

Run: Just 4 runs but running legs are starting to come good.
    Thurs progressive interval session was supposed to start off a bit slower but I felt well in control on these. It was the first time since Jan that my groin hasn’t felt sore after a harder session too
    I would have been on fire in the brick run but for the fact that the kids joined me on their bikes. They kept me in control, I had to slow up on a few occasions to let Liam catch up or push him up the hills
    Sundays long run was good also, little fatigue and feeling strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Abhainn wrote: »
    Fri – Eve: Swim session 3500m
    400m WU, then 5 sets of
    (200 off 4min. 150 off 3 min, 100 off 2min, 50 off 1min) with 50 easy between
    sets
    200’s avg 03:18,
    150’s avg, avg 02:27
    100’s avg,01:36
    50’s avg 0:46
    400 WD

Your swimming seems to be coming on very well. That set in particular looks a nice bit faster than you were going a few months back. We were just discussing swim lessons again last night, hard to believe its almost that time of year again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

3 sweet sessions in there, you know which ones:) Looks like you are hitting form at just about the right time for the big day.

Weekly Summary 1st September

Mon – Lunch. Easy Run. 6.6km (04:30/km).
    Eve: Pool 2.50k swim. Pace 1:50 / 100m
    Tue – Early am. 52km bike commute to work @ 27.2kph. HR 114
    Wed – Eve. Run. 13.3km (04:12/km). HR 141
    Thurs – AM. 4.0km OW in 71:50. Pace 1:47. HR 134
    PM. Turbo 75min 42.5m. Avg watts 222. HR 119
    3 x increasing efforts of 20min up to avg 245w.
    Fri – Eve: Run. 11.2km (04:10/km).
    Sat – AM Long TT Bike – 122k. 31.0Kph, HR 125
    Sun – AM. Long run 26.4km @ 04:11/km. HR 140
    PM 2.25km steady pool swim. Pace 1:48/100m.

Summary:

Totals:
    Swim x 3 – 8.75km. Time – 2hr 39min
    Bike x 3 – 215km. Time - 7h 04min
    Run x 4 - 58km. Time - 4hr 03 min

Total Time – 13hr 46 min.

I didn’t say “touch wood”

I mentioned last week about after some 1km reps the troublesome groin and feeling no pain? On the early Tues bike to work that area of the groin adductor muscle to the knee was very tender. Not sure how this appeared again but I had to cancel higher intensity running this week. The rep session got canned as did the brick run on Sat, while I did plan an easy run that evening it never transpired.
    However during the long Sun run the body felt very good and responsive.
    A couple of planned easy swims on Mon and Sun turned out to be steady as I am feeling really good in the water.
    Thurs was back to school. I took the day off and sneaked in the OW swim before I collected the monkeys again before lunch. 5 laps of Wicklow harbour and the pace was fine 2/3rds of the route around. But as the tide was on the way out I was fighting against it coming around by and along the south pier on each lap. I expected it to be a few mins quicker but not too bothered.
    I managed to get in the turbo in then that afternoon, God it was warm outside.

The last long TT was rather sad in a way. Not sure when I’ll be dodging the Garda traffic core along the M11 again. Pace wasn’t great though, as going south there seemed to be a headwind and when coming back north again it was full on in the last 30km.

Can’t believe it’s now only 10 days to go. Getting a bit anxious. Usual stuff including Nicole is sick again with throat issues. Just trying to ensure I have all prepared. I'm for a deep tissue rub on Fri, God that will hurt like hell

Carbon wheels kindly loaned to me,(thanks for the other offers chaps) I will try them out a few times before next week. I never used tubulars in a race so “touch wood” I get by ok.

Weekly Summary 8th September

Mon – Rest
    Tue - Eve: Pool 3k steady swim. Pace 1:49 / 100m
    Wed – Lunch Run. 11.6k with 6 x 400’s (avg 79sec). HR 137.
    Thurs – Eve. 54k TT bike @ 34.0kph. HR 130
    Fri – Lunch Run. 10.1km (04:15/km). HR 132
    PM. Pool Swim 2.2km.
    Incl. 12 x 50 off 75secs (avg 46 secs)
    400m in 06:37.
    Sat – PM Run 15km (04:07km). HR 134
    Sun – AM. Brick. 61km. TT bike @ 32.2km. HR 122
    Run 6.4km. (04:15 / km). HR 134

Summary:

Totals:
    Swim x 2 – 5.2km. Time – 1hr 44min
    Bike x 2 – 114km. Time - 3h 27 min
    Run x 4 - 43km. Time - 3hr 01 min

Total Time – 8hr 12 min.

The 1st week of taper saw a reduction in volume. I would have liked another easy bike and swim in there. Hurling wasn’t bad was it?!

Thankfully I haven’t had the taper blues yet, no time really.
    The sharpening sessions in swim, bike, and run have been useful in avoiding this.

It was the first time with Dura Ace C50’s on the Thurs eve TT ride. I was battling against the oncoming darkness but the wheels felt really good.
    I was planning on a good 400m TT swim on Fri evening but I wasn’t feeling the love in the 50’s. I felt a bit flat I knew the 400 was never going to be, just went out steady in the end

I got a good rub down Fri night. Surprisingly it wasn’t torture as I was expecting
    I the past it has been unpleasant but the regular stretching I’ve been doing seems to be working out.

That’s it again. We’re flying out Thur morning. Some support also coming from Stuggart and Manchester.
    I’m feeling good, feeling confident.
    07:30 CET Sat here we come. Weather looks dry about 20C. Bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The very best of luck Joe. Give it socks!!! Safe trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Good luck Joe. You know what time you have to do! You're more than capable, just need the bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Give it Socks Joe, can't wait to track you and hear how you get on. You deserve that mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Up Sligo. Give it loads Joe. Best of luck

Best of luck, i hope you nail it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

All the best Joe. Hopefully catch up with you soon to hear all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just saw this link posted on twitter to track the event

Go get it Joe, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best with it, Joe.

I guess the "70's german p0rn star", will have the reflected glory of his wheels doing a sub-10 IM:)

Inspirational.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Knock it out of the park, Joe. You really, really, really deserve a fantastic result. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Swim like a fish.
    Cycle like a Roche.
    Run like a cheetah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

Have a great race joe, i've been keeping an eye on your log and you've def done the hard work now!!

Enjoy the day ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hope you packed your bike.

• Advertisement

Joe Cawley Wicklow H40 IRL 01:08:52 00:06:36

Link

That's probably his fastest IM swim, so a solid start. Looks like the conditions are very rainy.

Is it unfair to raise an eyebrow on that slow trans? I'm sat here in my dressing gown sipping coffee. C'mon Joe ya lazy bollix...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Is it unfair to raise an eyebrow on that slow trans? I'm sat here in my dressing gown sipping coffee. C'mon Joe ya lazy bollix...
    Would ya look at Hugh Heifner over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »

The new forum rules are that you can't comment on something unless you've done it yourself so keep quiet :)

I thought this race was next week, belated good wishes Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

griffin100 wrote: »
    I thought this race was next week, belated good wishes Joe.

Yes me too :o

Slow transition - I was going to say a change into more comfortable bib shorts, sun cream perhaps. Sometimes the run into transition from the water at these events can be very long.

Joe is well able to throw out some fist pumps and general gurning in these events so perhaps he is getting his money worths and doing it at the end of each discipline as well

Some of the pro's are over 3 minutes so probably thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

1st bike split 2:39:04 (overall position 167th)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    1st bike split 2:39:04 (overall position 167th)

Hard to gauge speed from the bike splits without knowing their distance (3 splits totalling 180k), but the leaders splits are (Bike 1)02:19:35 (Bike 2)02:22:35 (Bike 3)00:04:24 (Total)04:46:34,

So Joe's 2:39 has him on for a 5:30 bike, give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

GO JOE!! :D

That site/tracking is brutal. Should come off the bike and off onto the run with 6hr 50 on the clock so will need to run a sub 3:10 for his mark. Surprised with fastest bike splits as I imagined it was a faster bike course!!
    Come on lad!!

• Advertisement

That site/tracking is brutal. Should come off the bike and off onto the run with 6hr 50 on the clock so will need to run a sub 3:10 for his mark. Surprised with fastest bike splits as I imagined it was a faster bike course!!
    Come on lad!!

Conditions look to be pretty bad with the rain at the finish. A lot of the second lap bike splits are down 20+ mins from the first lap. Fingers crossed...

Advertisement