Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Those wheels have done a 5:03 IM split I'll have you know...;) and a sub60 40kmTT :P

And now they take a fat man home from the pub as he eats chips...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

When's the race report coming???? :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I should start writing a diary...

Hopefully not too boring, Race day is next... whenever

Challenge Almere – Amsterdam Race Report Part 1

Why Challenge Almere?
    I had been looking at an IM race late Aug / Sept time. I wanted 16-20 wks lead in from Boston to allow me to peak again.
    My team is my family and it was mandatory they had to be present with me.
    Copenhagen was my main choice but then that clashed with the OH works event.
    Vichy on Sept 1st was a possibility but Liam started school that week and I didn’t want to take him out from there. Anyway I found out the Vichy race venue was difficult to get to.
    It looked like Barcelona again which would have been fine but the date for that was now in Oct. I had almost signed up for that when Almere was announced

After Kona the Holland triathlon it is the oldest long distance triathlon on the planet. With over 30 yrs of experience it has a great history and tradition and with the Challenge family taking ownership it could only make it better, right?
    It was easy to get to, it had the possibility of been fast (07:57 is the record there) but then I was informed why do you think there are so many wind mills in Holland?

Training recap:
    My swim training started late Jan with Tinahely Tri club sessions. My aim for IM swim was to get as close to sub 65min as possible. I definitely found the benefit from the group sessions.
    My pool times were 4 min quicker over the IM distance than the year before though surprisingly there was no improvement in my OW times.
    However I was relatively satisfied I could get close to my goal on the day as I put more work was put into this from year previous.
    Biking was mainly on a par with my plan. Again I was consistent. I was feeling good off the long solo rides (the general thinking out there is the loneness of the long distance runner then think again). Apart from that the once per week 100k +commute to work and home formed the other main bike sessions. In the end I felt my biking was a little behind 2012 and a couple other long 180k rides would have been beneficial. Faster wheels were preferred and the Dura-Ace C50’s were welcome.
    Running wasn’t great. The winter groin injury didn’t really go away and still poor right up until June. There was regular soreness after longer harder runs so I mileage was slightly down. Still though my running efficiency was fine. My long runs over 30k totaled just 3 compared to 6 year previous. But I was happy enough.

The final 10 weeks hours excluding taper avg was 12:21 v 14:08 in 2012. Peak hrs was 16:19 v 17:35. I was incorporating more stretching (not part of hrs). Still in general I was feeling strong and fit.

Races. 2 x Olympic, Sligo and BoTE. Almost a DNS in the former due to the groin but cold was a big factor there on the bike and I was tired and didn’t perform in the latter BoTE.
    The inaugural Shadow Man HIM 6 weeks out was a good showing and a confidence booster though I knew my bike was a little behind.

Race week
    Thurs:
    We got to Amsterdam lunch time Thurs. One of the bros arrived from Stuggart and mother in law from Manchester shortly after. The train from there to Almere was 50 mins. A modern big town of 30 yrs young there was a good lively feel there. There were few taxis around to hotel as every one cycles and we had to get 2 in the end.
    Hotel Van der Valk Almere is new, big rooms and reasonable if breakfast had been included. Biggest issue was that it was 3km from the start.
    I built up the bike that evening with thankfully no problems. When I was testing it out I got acquainted with a chap from Madrid also doing the race – Leo. He was going to be my mate till departure.
    I had a good dinner in hotel, a big beer & some wine. Bed by 10:30. Slept well.

Fri:
    The day was mine. Family headed off to Amsterdam and the usual sightseeing stuff
    Leo and moi rode an easy 22k bike around the area. Some coffee, chat with others etc and got registered. E35 was a one day license was a bit steep though. We received no goodie bag of any description. Very poor IMO
    There was a good feeling around with the start of the junior and other races though expo was small. Weather was sunny & warm. Nice
    Later I went for a 4km run, hit the lovely hotel pool twice before and after the run then set off again for the pasta party and briefing by 4:30pm.
    The surprising news was that the bike course would be extended to 182.5km approx. This was due to the decision to bring the route by the residence of the previous race director who had passed on to another world. I was not too impressed by this though others seemed ok. So on race day I would need to find an extra 4-5 mins, but as it turned out the extra distance was the least of the “challenges”. They also announced that the course was 50% road and 50% cycle paths. But what they didn’t say then was that last week the local council removed the right to race on roads so they had to use the cycle paths.

Met up with family and by 8pm it was raining lightly. Back to the pool with the young lad at 9:30pm and bed an hour later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

so this is what it feels like to wait for the final episode of breaking bad ;) Get the finger out and write the race report :)

TRR wrote: »
    so this is what it feels like to wait for the final episode of breaking bad ;) Get the finger out and write the race report :)

Yeah yeah, busy man here
    But I am embarrassed to I've never heard of Breaking Bad till this week.
    I've been a hermit. I see I've 5 seasons to catch up on

• Advertisement

Part 11

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looking a bit fresh at the finish there JC ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Awww....what a great story! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Enjoyed that Joe - well done! With an eye on both long distance races you did in 2015 would you have a preference. Particularly family wise and ease of access

Any hints to where you are thinking of in 2015 ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    Enjoyed that Joe - well done! With an eye on both long distance races you did in 2015 would you have a preference. Particularly family wise and ease of access

Any hints to where you are thinking of in 2015 ;)

Unsure yet CW , possibly Copenhagen.

With regard to family friendly long distance in Europe I think you could have the choice of 4

Lanzorate -
    Pros -
    Easy to get to
    Beach with loads of stuff for kids
    Weather good
    Not too pricey, can get great value for bob
    Well supported
    Transition close

Cons:
    It been in May means most of you will be doing a lot of your long bikes in the cold Irish spring
    Can get very hot on the run
    Toughest bike in IM

Nice
    Pros -
    Easy to get to
    Weather good
    Locals really come out for the event

Cons -
    Not cheap
    Bike (tough) was way short this year - in region of 8k. Run was over 1km short.
    Hot on the run

Mallorca
    Pros -
    Easy to get to
    Weather good
    First race will be end Sept 2014. 2 x current bike 70.3 bike route
    Should be reasonably priced

Cons -
    A bit late in the season but that is best for summer training

Barcelona
    Pros -
    Easy to get to
    Weather good (except for that Sat in 2012)
    Transition close
    Great value
    Course fast

Cons:
    Late in the season (Early Oct)

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Joe - of those you mentioned above I have been leaning towards Nice the others don't excite me as much, I was admonished by a few lads at a recent poker night who swear Nice is not as hard on the pocket as people make out (may well be cheaper than Copenhagan). Now Monaco and Cannes they admitted was a different story. Would really force me to focus on the bike though which would be no bad thing

Lanza too early - the older the little one gets the easier it is to get time training I assume so that's why I am not even looking at 2014. Mallorca and Barcelona too late - she is a teacher so hard to get a few days off outside of the obvious holidays, to get her to use a few course day ups that doesn't involve shopping or relaxation is tough at the best of times.

Wouldn't take much persuasion to offer the mrs a few days in Nice alright before heading to our regular watering hole in Portugal. Its a shame Portugal doesn't offer one, IM or Challenge Algarve would have a lovely ring to the wife - they would probably have to have it on early or late though as it would be too hot for the summer months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cheers for that Joe - of those you mentioned above I have been leaning towards Nice the others don't excite me as much, I was admonished by a few lads at a recent poker night who swear Nice is not as hard on the pocket as people make out (may well be cheaper than Copenhagan). Now Monaco and Cannes they admitted was a different story. Would really force me to focus on the bike though which would be no bad thing

Lanza too early - the older the little one gets the easier it is to get time training I assume so that's why I am not even looking at 2014. Mallorca and Barcelona too late - she is a teacher so hard to get a few days off outside of the obvious holidays, to get her to use a few course day ups that doesn't involve shopping or relaxation is tough at the best of times.

Wouldn't take much persuasion to offer the mrs a few days in Nice alright before heading to our regular watering hole in Portugal. Its a shame Portugal doesn't offer one, IM or Challenge Algarve would have a lovely ring to the wife - they would probably have to have it on early or late though as it would be too hot for the summer months

You'd better move somewhere that has plenty of hills for training if you're going to Nice. ;)

Congrats Joe, looks like the training is going well that's a good win for you - was that a pb as well?

Congrats Joe, looks like the training is going well that's a good win for you - was that a pb as well?

Thanks CW. Winter training was a struggle with 2 month + achilles injury and also life challenges. But lately things coming together
    Yes it was a PB, a small 21 sec one on the same course as in 2012. I figured I had done enough for a 75:xx but guess that will have to wait for another day.
    Big 4 weeks now ahead

Very late but valid reasons... thank you guys for nice messages in the last week

London Marathon 2014 Race Report

My 3rd Time back. It’s good to know the territory. Again a similar regime as in that great day in 2012. I flew over Fri afternoon with family in tow. Collection from Gatwick by Bro in law (French sound lad thank God we beat them in Paris), a house of kids, great food, a little wine and a beer or 2, relaxing, heah just like being at home. I brought my suit, waiting for that call preparing in case for a diversion to Cyprus, but selfish me, just hoping to make the start line at 10am Sunday. The OH’s Dad has been critical lately; I had some a few days “warm weather training there” during Christmas.
    Expo Sat and I frightened the crap out of poor Jackyback. I spent little time there, too many people, didn’t need the hassle. As in 2012 the Christophe and I went straight to Olympic Village in Stratford and found food at Gourmet Burger. I had the finest burger, no chips though but hardly a meal of sub 2:40 wantanbee again the day after?

Training
    After IM Almere in Sept I then paced sub 3 at Dublin. Had a small rest but during the first run back I picked up an annoying Achilles injury. I’ve been struggling with this since especially after harder sessions.
    I chanced a race with the dodgy injury in a hilly 10k in Leyland in UK over Christmas in 36:50. Then a couple of XC races, slowly improving but still struggling and then bang (all good) in Dungarvan 10 mile in 57:47. We had brutal weather in the first few miles but I came home very strong. London 2014 back on!
    Interruptions then. My bros stag, wedding with me best man all in 2 weeks yeah many pints, massive craic. Ran Enniscorthy 10k week after in a slightly disappointing 35:20 after a solid week, not great but still an honest effort.
    With increased mileage, more double days I targeted the Kinvara half in early March as in 2012 as a key indicator as to where I was. Before start I hoped a 75:xx was achievable. But a stiff headwind for first 5 miles and leading out the field on my own this ended up been a time trial rather than a race. I managed a win on an undulating course and bagged a 20 secs PB from this same course in a slightly disappointing 76:10. But a solid few week of 80 miles +, more doubles, a solid 5k race mid way then 2nd half win in 3 weeks in the Wicklow Half in 78:01. This was another bloody windy day and could be hilliest road half in Ire. It was a good effort again and strengthened me up for a London attack
    In the last 13 weeks I avg 64 miles per week with 4 of those 80 miles +, this been my most ever. So mostly all positive, work and life though very challenging. I was also concerned at my weight at 73.5kg which was 3kg + over London 2012 when I ran 2:36:21. Feck

Marathon day
    Sutton - 13 min jog at 7am. This is great to wake up the legs for the forthcoming onslaught. I’ve been doing this in the last year before major races and definitely works. A fantastic morning for running. A pity the start wasn’t then.
    I got a lift to Backheath, everything was very easy and relaxed. With some great anthems on the headphones I headed to head to Fast Good for Age Red Start. Beepbeep 67 arrived shortly after. Its, great relaxing with a friend before the challenge.

Race:
    BB67 and I jumped into pen 1. We meet a few Irish lads including a runner from Donore who has similar targets as me. We might run together but agreed to just see how things evolved.
    Like some my London compatriots on boards I had also divided my race plan in 5 mile segments

0-5 miles.
    In 2011 I started to feel big discomfort from 10 miles. Somehow I managed 2:43 racing for 2:39. Fcuk me I will never forget it the pain. Experience is great though.
    I planned steady 06:05’s for the first 5. Apart from mile 1 (06:06), I hit 5 mile in 29:41. So much for the plan! This was about 50 secs head of my goal though I was feeling in control. Thought if lucky I might see TRR at 3 mile point when all 3 starts meet but figured he was easing ahead.
    At 2 mile I met Antony, a tall chap, nice runner also. We spoke briefly. He had a 2:39 from London. Throughout the next 17 miles we exchanged leads many times but hardly ran side by side

6-10 miles
    I deliberately slowed down these miles. The sunshine was pouring down and crowds bloody brilliant. This is a fantastic marathon. My HR was well under control @ avg 158, bloody hell never this low especially racing a marathon, it Polar incorrect for once? With water every mile I drink some and pour some over my head. Gel at 7 miles. Through 10 miles in 59:57

11-15 miles
    After expo on Sat we had to reroute to Sutton via Tower Bridge the opposite way to the race but still a useful insight. It was great seeing this point of course. There seemed long drag to mile 12 but hardly noticed this as the runners started to thin out. Tower Bridge was great, but I wasn’t getting carried away. However I was starting to pass more and more runners. This is good as I could now concentrate and focus properly with fewer runners around.
    Just after half way while going through water shower I lost GPS on Garmin. I didn’t panic though and it took me a min or so to sort things.
    I hit half way in 1:18:28. I was in relatively good shape, thought not as good as 2 years previously but HR showed 164 (v 172 in 2012). Gel no 2 at half way
    During the 3rd 5 miles section I speeded up slightly and through 15 miles in 1:29:32

16-20 miles
    It was on a slight incline coming up to 16 miles and I thought my miles were numbered. My legs were suddenly unstable. Around me I saw runners under pressure, moving backwards. I don’t know but then something happened and the carnage around me seemed to drive me on for a mile or so. Another gel at 18 then and my friend from mile 2 came along side me and expressed his increasing efforts. “6:15’s will get us home” I said. Stay focused. Pushing on with HR still beautifully low (163, would have expected 173 here) I hit 20 miles in 1:59:59.9.

21- 25 miles
    I think I can express these miles as comfortably hard. I have the regret in that I was not brave enough to push the last 10k harder. This was for fear of implosion. I knew 2:39 was in the bag and probably 2:38. A low 2:36 was I thought a push too far. I was running on my own, no one or group to work off. My 4th and final gel at 22 miles.
    I suffered coming out of the tunnel onto the incline at mile 24 up to Embankment in 2012. Legs went like jelly. The incline seemed almost flat now, legs good.

Finish
    The last 10k from mile 20 flew by. Big Ben was standing tall and proud. I looked up at him a few times, because I was able to. Yes fatigue was setting in but my finish was at the 600m line. I spotted 2 Irish flags one each of BB67 and my family. I grabbed ours and feck it I felt great running down with the Palace ahead and me with Irish flag in flowing behind me. As I turned into the Mall I got cheers that finish line I just love it. What another proud moment
    Time:2:37:51. HR 162. :)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/479913402

Aftermath
    I was really surprised at how good I felt in the immediate afterwards. The body felt really good. I grabbed a shower and sorted myself out. The feeling in the aftermath of running a great marathon is priceless.

What lies ahead 2014?
    The triathlon plan is probably the Half Iron Shadowman event probably in Athlone again but I have so little spare time lately. Don’t know how I can fit 3 x swimming and bikes in per week to prepare for that.
    Will race some shorter races hopefully another half in the Autumn and would seriously consider pacing Dublin marathon sub 2:50.

What lies ahead? 2015
    “We love coming over to Aunty Ann and London can we come again next year? “
    “You should make sure you make this a yearly occasion!” (Well I have for 3 of the last 4)
    I had no plans on London and 2015. I just can’t come over and not give 100% in this race. That in my eyes wouldn’t do this race justice
    Next year the plan is Ironman distance again but it has got me thinking - racing London 2015 may be seriously considered again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Fantastic. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stuff of legend Joe. Hope the repair process has started. Brighter days ahead, to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Super, super job. Pure class. Hope you're on the mend and staying away from all pyrotechnics. Looking forward to more great things from you in 2014!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

You're a tough nut Joe. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You are a savage Bhoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Outstanding Joe, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Animal.

Hope you are recovering OK and the boy band good-looks are on their way back.

Advertisement