Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Abhainn wrote: »
    2010??
    The competition this year will be the best yet. Last years winning time will probably not be good enough even for a placing this year. That’s why I will be out to do better than that.

Well predicted, good to see you looking so well, you ran a fantastic time, enjoy the well earned rest and beers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done joe ya legend, absolutely fantastic time

just one question ?

how did you run without me?
    i feel so used and cheated, i hope you thought of me for the full 39.3:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great time Joe....really great time
    Well done...again !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

savage preformance , well done , when you posting the report ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sorry for delay just been a bit bananas at work.

Connemara Ultra Race Report 11th April 2010
    The location was race briefing in the Peacock Hotel in Maam. We were informed there would be twice as many on the start line compared to the year before and included a high-class international field. There was certainly a great buzz around the place. I met Krusty Clown and Racoon Queen first and we all seemed to be a little apprehensive. Next up Ultraman1 appeared his usual chirpy self then we met Mithril, Mick Rice and Thomas Bubendorfer and of course Magnet who decided not to defend her title this year.

Before we knew it we were on the start line. Conditions perfect (if you were running a 5 mile race at 9am that is) and surroundings exquisite.
    Had a quick word with jaymack75 and the then the hooter went off. A group of 5 quickly set off from us rest. I followed a little back at a steady pace hoping a few more would run along side. I went through mile 1 in under 6:20 and I immediately stepped off the gas. I looked behind and just to see 1 foreign runner in close proximity.
    He overtook me and I prepared myself for a long day on my own. This wouldn’t bother me though. I thought of Sungod (only briefly on a couple of occasions mind you;)) but I was happy out on my own today. It seemed though I had a running colleague in Magnet for as in the first 20 miles or so she popped up every 2 miles taking photos, handling out water shouting encouragement – thank you. (Really she was trying to slow me up so Mick Rice could catch up:)).
    After a couple of miles I had settled into a rhythm of 06:40 mile pace. This felt comfortable for now and I intended to slow up after a while once I had a few seconds in the bag to reach 13.1 in under 1:30. I could see the top group of 5 was now split into 2 and I calculated they were then under 2:40 marathon pace. The miles went by quickly, some of them too quickly (sub 06:30) so I attempted to slow up. This wasn’t easy when the legs are turning over effortlessly and I attempted in vain to keep my HR in zone 3. A quick toilet stop around mile 8 was a relief. Just after the first right hand turn not long afterwards I caught up with the 6th place lad. I spoke a few words but he spoke frig all English (French dude), so off I went. The water stations were at 5 mile and 10 mile but as mentioned above Magnet handed me some between these sections. I was a fixed on keeping hydrated and keeping energy levels up. At mile 13 I picked up my first supplies, and took the jelly babies immediately (yum) and put a gel in my back pocket.
    Running through the marathon start was electric with all the clapping and cheering. Time check 1:27:20.
    Then I was on my own again and discovered I was going way too fast. My HR has shot up so I gradually slowed up and tried to relax. It took me 2 miles before I was in a normal pace again.
    The scenery from the marathon start for the next 4 or 5 miles is just unreal. What a fabulous place to run on your own. Pictures can only describe the tranquillity. If heaven is real and we are fortunate to get there then we are in for a real treat if its anything like that.
    I kept the momentum going with pace averaging 06:40-06:45 and still wanting to slow to 7min miles. I knew there would be pain coming at some stage. The marathon leader Sergiu Ciobanu the Irish marathon champion from Dublin 2009 passed by me at mile 17, and what a graceful runner he is. In the next few miles I am passed by 4 or 5 more marathon runners before Leenaun (I actually passed 3 of those again before the finish).
    At around mile 20 the course has a nice stiff climb of perhaps a mile in length. I can feel the legs aching slightly but I ease up this and look forward to the following easier miles. My intention was to reach 26.2 miles just under sub 3 to I could get a clear craic at the onslaught ahead.
    Down wards to Leenaun and I manage to grab my second bag of nourishment with relative ease. I see my full marathon split is 2:55:20, a respectable time considering I have been trying to control my pace all through.
    There is good support in Leenaun but I try and focus on the next 1.5 mile climb.
    I am currently reading “Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon”. Ultra and trial runners often use the run / walk strategy. I talked myself into this tactic before the end of the first big climb of the day. I hoped to take a 1minute walk break in some of the more difficult miles was my plan. This worked ok and I had no problem starting off on a good pace again. That pace was well below 7min pace again with mile 29 was covered in 06:39. I took a <1 min walk in 5 of the next 6 miles and I was averaging about 07:25 mile for these. It was a bit annoying as it seemed I had just two speeds in my legs, quick walking pace and sub 06:50 /mile. Around mile 32 I was passed by the leaders of the half marathoners and was well pleased to shake hands with Asimonov who right in the middle of these. Well done on coming in 3rd there Asimonov. The scenery (nature and quite a few of the walkers!) was not enough to ease the pain that was gradually increasing.
    Shortly after Mick Rice overtook me, we had a few brief words; he ran a fabulous equal split race.
    Now HOTW beckoned ahead. Again I found my bag drop goodies at mile 35 without issue and walked while I tried to refuel as much as possible. As I entered the last 3 miles I was immediately halted due to a bad cramp in my right hamstring, this was the first ever occasion in a race. I walked for a couple of minutes before I got going again. The last miles were fine and I found new speed in my legs again. I spotted Asimonov again cheering on now from the crowd as he squirted water over me. The finish line was a very happy sight with my family and Mom and Dad cheering me on. The 4:37 time on the clock was nice to see. And 7th position.

The aftermath was good and bad. The body didn’t feel good until I had some soup in me. But I met some familiar faces and friends and had some words with them. I would have liked to stay on to see more of the boardsies finish and catch up with a few more but it was time to leave, get some good food with my family and head home. Unlike the fortunate some I had to be in work at 8am Monday. Though I did manage some fine draught Czech beer and beautiful roasted pig in Owenmore later.

Target Achieved?

This Ultra was one of my “A“ races for this year. At the start of the day I would have been content with a sub 4:40. I got that so I can’t be unhappy. I thought I might have a sub 4:35 or even a 4:30 in me but that was always going to be tough with no one to help with the pace.
    Even though I never felt the heat on the day it must have surely had some affect on my performance. And if I were more conservative in the first 26 yes I would have gone quicker overall. The last 10 miles were tough but they went by actually fairly quickly in the end. All in all a good day at the office.

I like this photo -thank you Daniel photo man
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alituv/4515383113/in/set-72157623717708321/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Great running Abhainn, your some man for these ultras, I don't think I'd be crazy enough to attempt one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A smashing read Abhainn. You dashed past our start line at Lough Inagh before I got to shout your name in encouragement, not that you needed it. Reading your training logs and your race reports has been brilliant and shows the dedication you have for your art :) Now if only you and Krusty could stay off the beer you could really do well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Peckham

Wow! The mile/half marathon/marathon splits in that report are unreal.

That's savage running Abhainn - North Wicklow Times should do a follow-up article!

A smashing read Abhainn. You dashed past our start line at Lough Inagh before I got to shout your name in encouragement, not that you needed it. Reading your training logs and your race reports has been brilliant and shows the dedication you have for your art :) Now if only you and Krusty could stay off the beer you could really do well :D
    I managed to high 5 a mate while going through the back the marathon start. After that there were too many faces to pick out, but I figured youd be up at the start.
    Beer ?? I think Krusty will agree we need an occasional beer to keep ourselves sane. :rolleyes:
    Peckham wrote: »
    Wow! The mile/half marathon/marathon splits in that report are unreal.

That's savage running Abhainn - North Wicklow Times should do a follow-up article!

Sure the North Wickla Times would not be interested, it would have to be the South Wickla edition again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on another terrific result Abhainn, up there in Mick Rice territory is lofty indeed and well deserved :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great report and great race Abhainn. I read that book just over a year ago and really enjoyed it, be careful though it'll give you all sorts of crazy ideas.

Maybe we can all go and do the Grand Slam of Ultra Running together? :pac:

Great report and great race Abhainn. I read that book just over a year ago and really enjoyed it, be careful though it'll give you all sorts of crazy ideas.

Maybe we can all go and do the Grand Slam of Ultra Running together? :pac:

Girl thats Grand Slam is just nuts stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have you got to the one about the Barkley 100 yet? I dream of being the first woman to finish the Barkley.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Super report Abhainn. Congrats on a great run.

5 days on I am still in awe after seeing the Ultra runners come through Leenane and the finish line. Some savage times run there. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Really enjoyed that report Abhainn, very inspiring. Congrats on a top performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done Abhainn, that's some running, and some distance - It's incomprehensible to me really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congratulations - running out of superlatives - and it's been what three weeks since Cyprus ?

Macanri wrote: »
    - It's incomprehensible to me really!
    It was to me 2 years back Macanri.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Congratulations - running out of superlatives - and it's been what three weeks since Cyprus ?

4 actually. Cheers buddy

Week ending 18th April 10

Mon - Fri
    All rest days, no activity with exception of good daily walks.

Sat:
    6.25 miles at 06:55 pace. HR 148
    I’m not sure what I was at here. Took in some nice testing hills around Wicklow town on this beautiful day.

Sun: Back on the bike.
    52km at 27.5kph. HR 132
    I was a little surprised as my legs ached including area around outside of right knee (ITB area) up to about 10k.
    Just a relaxed ride taking in some more new roads with some steep short climbs. Very enjoyable outing,

Plan for summer season:
    Some triathlons and running races.
    My main aim is the Humbert Challenge in Swinford which is a HIM distance towards end of July. I may also do the Half Ireman in August but not decided yet. Swinford is close to my home in Sligo and the race itself seems too good to miss.
    As yet I have only one other triathlon in mind and that is the Tri Burgh in Louisburg in early June (though a bit costly at 70 yo’s yo’s, mind you). I see nothing appealing in May, and the only real weekend in June is the weekend of the 19th but nothing stands out that weekend. Either they are too expensive or too far to travel. I might get in a road race though. The family and I are also due to go on a two- week holiday at end of June so not too many weekends free.
    Road races:
    Just two for now I may do the RTE BHAA 5 miler on Saturday week. I am doing the Wicklow Half marathon 3 weeks later. These races are on a Saturday so I won’t miss my weekend long bike rides.

Summer Races Planned:

May
    1st - BHAA RTE 5 mile
    22nd Wicklow half marathon
    June
    5th Tri Burgh
    19th / 20th – TBA

July
    25th Humbert Challenge

Weekly Training:
    Wish list:
    3 swim – 1 long pool, 1 speed, 1 OW
    3 bike – 1 morning 50- 60k, 1 evening up to 50-60k, 1 weekend 70 - 100k
    4 runs - 1 interval / tempo, 2 x steady, 1 long (up to 15 miles)
    1 rest day

In reality though I’ll probably just get in 2 x swims, 2 x bike and 4 x runs.

As usual no gym / core work. Will have to rely on my 50 daily press ups (all together) then.

Weight check - 72.7kg. It continues the slow downward thrend.

Last week's summary is rather late.

This week has been a disaster on the 3 disipline training front. No swims unless you include 4 lengths of a 13 meter pool:rolleyes:, no bike yet but 3 runs so far.
    Been working like a horse in UK all week, late nights, drinking too much Peroni , eating too much - hardly ideal preparation for a 5 mile race on Sat

Week ending 25th April 10

Easing back into triathlon training this week by adding a couple of bike rides. Next week hopefully will add swims into the schedule also.

Mon: Rest Day

Tues:
    6 miles at 06:53 pace. HR 139.
    Nice run and legs felt good.

Wed: Evening Bike
    52km at 30.5kph. HR 134
    Route - Thru Ashford, on ward to Kilmac and back via N11 & new port road
    Grand ride in good conditions

Thurs:
    7.1 miles at 06:56 pace. HR 143
    This was a laboured run in the end. Body still tired?

Fri: Rest

Sat:
    Bike 62k.HR 143.
    Route - Thru Ashford, onward to Bray, Greystones and return via Kilpedder &N11.
    A bit of a tail wind outward but return more was more challenging as breeze increased. Happy enough with effort with average speed just under 30kph.

Sun:
    11.7 miles at 06:44 pace. HR 146
    Calves ached a bit after the bike yesterday. First 10 miles were at around 06:55 pace. Decided to run ago a sub 28 would be expected. May not be possible this time – we’ll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I was looking at doing the Louisburgh one as well but i think they are outragous charging 70 euro in their first year of it. Have a look at this one the week before in Leitrim, looks ok and half the price. I will see you in Swinford hopefully

http://loughallentriathlon.wordpress.com/

catweazle wrote: »
    I was looking at doing the Louisburgh one as well but i think they are outragous charging 70 euro in their first year of it. Have a look at this one the week before in Leitrim, looks ok and half the price. I will see you in Swinford hopefully

http://loughallentriathlon.wordpress.com/

Cheers catweazle for that. Wasn't aware of that one.

Week ending 2nd May 10

This was a real tough week upset by few things.
    A burst pipe early Monday dashed any plans of starting off back in the pool. Then I was told late Monday to travel to UK on Tues for 2 days. I ended up having to stay there for 3 days working like a nut.

Summary:

Mon:
    Early swim and lunchtime run did not happen due to an emergency of a burst pipe at home. Luckily damage was controlled.
    I managed to get out in the beautiful evening it was for a lap of the new inner and port hilly roads in Wicklow.
    4.6 miles at 06:57 pace. HR 144

Tues:
    No sessions and I can’t call it a rest day.
    In UK – Southampton for work. Worked late and then out late. Not good.

Wed:
    6.1 miles at 06:55 pace. HR 140
    Early am run to get rid of the late night Indian and Cobras. Staying at the Rose Bowl to decided to take a right and run along road for approx 3 miles towards village of Botley and return. Cool and pleasant running conditions.
    Sponsorship update :mad:
    I’ve been trying to arrange some corporate sponsorship with our owners in Canada for a while now. This afternoon I received notice that this has been declined. Apparently they only choose a few select causes and offer corporate sponsorship in that way. This raged me. The ironic thing is that this crowd had a successful IPO on the NASDAQ last week. I’m not taking no for an answer though. I can be a pain in the ass.
    Then I was asked to stay on for another day…hmmm

Thurs:
    5 miles at 07:07 pace. HR 136.
    Another hotel, another late night. I like to do my own thing when travelling but there was no way out of this
    Felt poorly but dragged my self out of the cot. From Botleigh hotel and turn right for estimated 2.5 miles and return. Air was still so traffic fumes were noticeable.

Fri:
    6 miles at 06:50 pace with strides. HR 142
    Back in Dublin and around my usual route in Tymon park. Wanted to up it slightly as I was feeling rusty. The 5 mile race on Sat will be a big shock to the system

Sat:
    BHAA RTE 5 mile race
    Finish time 28:14. Position 17th.
    This was tough, very tough. I live for my races but I didn’t enjoy this.
    I was a little surprised the route comprised of 4.5 laps of RTE and area around it. Warmed up with 1 lap and met Beepbeep 67 on route. With sharp left hand turns and congestion I won’t be coming back for this again.
    I haven’t run many 5 milers but my best before today is 29:13. I thought I would be good for a sub 28:30 on the day as preparation was poor and I had no kind of speed work done in ages. I know I should be capable of a 27:40 or 27:50 if I was in top form. So target was keep the mile split between 05:35-05:40

The start was very congested with this big field and I was a bit down the field at the start gun even though I positioned myself near the top. I ran like the clappers and found space around me by half way on the first lap. I went through mile 1 in 05:24 which was way too fast, so tried to relax and take some control. There were a group of 7 of us (probably positions 11th- 17th ) so I tried to settle in. The pace was more controlled now but I wasn’t feeling good. My HR was very high – 176 at this stage with another 20 minutes of running left. Fcuking hell this was hurting, I was beginning to feel sick and I was only in mile 2.
    I am currently reading Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage which is an excellent book but offers no motivation tendencies, probably the opposite as he accounts many DNF’s in his cycling career. I was actually thinking of these now and seriously contemplating stepping off the course.
    Somehow I didn’t and went through mile 2 in 05:38 and still in the group of 7. Mile 3 was hardest and slowest and I missed this split thankfully (05:49). The group was now split up and in a line with me at the back. Somehow the legs kept going. Mile 4 was seen through in 05:37 and this egged me on. My heart rate was still edging up but I seemed to be closing on a few ahead of me during the last mile. What a relief it was at the finish. My legs were burning and I felt sick but somehow I didn’t fall over. Best time achieved though so satisfied.
    Met BeepBeep67 and Robinph at the end. Both ran good races. Well done guys.

Sun:
    Bike 65Km. HR 134. Speed 27.4kph
    Route – Wicklow, Ashford, Roundwood, Laragh, Rathdrum, Rathnew, and 1 laps of the new road.
    Choose this hilly route scenic instead of been stuck on a boring flatter dual carriage way
    Yes the legs ached after yesterday’s race but it was ok once I got to Roundwood.

Week ahead:
    Session squeezing again. I have 2 planned trips to UK. My first a two day trip has now been reduced to one as my flight this morning was cancelled thankfully. On Friday for the weekend we travel for some family celebrations to the NW England.
    But I have 2 x swims, 2 x bike and 3 x runs scheduled in.

Week ending 9th May 10

This was another week of travel with two trips to UK, one for work and no. 2 for family pleasure.
    Managed 2 x swim, 1 x bike, 3 x run in this stressed out week.

Detail:

Mon:

Bike 61.5km. HR 133. Speed 27.5kph
    Route – Loop of Wicklow Rathnew, Rathdrum, Avoca, Arklow, Brittas bay, Wicklow
    This was the 2nd bike in two days. Decided on a flatter route than yesterday. This last 30k were on roads I haven’t ridden before.
    The legs ached somewhat all though but they were not too bad until homeward bound post Arklow. The coast road from Arklow to Brittas was very bad and slowed me up a bit.
    I was half planning a 5mile brick run after the bike but thought it would be counter productive in the end.

Tues:
    Lunch: 6 mile run at 06:57 pace. HR 139.
    Legs still ache but run was ok.
    Late evening: Pool swim 1600m. 100m warm up, then 1500 straight in 32:44.
    First swim since last Aug and wasn’t really looking forward to it. But this felt grand and arms were surprisingly ok.

Wed:
    Rest day. In UK for a one day visit which turned into two due to airport closure. Yung Sun :) is one year old on Thursday so need to get back home before evening.

Thurs:
    7 mile run at 07:07 pace. HR 137
    Early run in Hampshire on a road route towards Portsmouth. Needed this to clean the body out, as previous night was a late one.
    Airport is open again and I was glad of this as plan B was a 6-hour train from Southampton to Holyhead and ferry after in order to get home.

Fri: Swim or bike?
    I would have preferred a bike ride but the mind said pool again.
    AM Pool swim - 1850m. 200m warm up, then 1750 straight in 40:09. Pace was somewhat off Tuesday’s effort.
    Then we were off to UK via ferry at noon.

Sat: Unplanned progression run
    12 mile run at 06:22 pace. HR152.
    It was another late one last night and I moved this run to the afternoon. I had planned a pace of around 7min/mile for this. But as soon as I got into it the legs wanted to open it up. This turned out to be a mile progression run. With hilly sections and fresh and windy didn’t make this altogether very easy but a rather satisfying session. The last 3 miles were strong.
    Detail 06:58, 06:39,06:37, 06:44, 06:34, 06:19, 06:17,06:27, 06:14, 06:00,05:56, & 05:45

Sun:
    Rest. Back home. Bloody tiny Stena Express ferry. It took us ages to get on and off the thing. :mad:

Week ahead:
    With a little bit of luck this week will be less hectic than the last couple. It’s not very enjoyable squeezing in sessions. Also it hasn’t been ideal preparation on the swim and bike front. I’ve been eating and boozing too much and not getting enough sleep also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

ok.....after reading through your log i'm beginning to think wtf was i think when i said yes to running with you in Cyprus :confused::eek:

You are some runner dude! Well done on the ultra, truly unbelievable. Where are you goin to in Cyprus?

ok.....after reading through your log i'm beginning to think wtf was i think when i said yes to running with you in Cyprus :confused::eek:

You are some runner dude! Well done on the ultra, truly unbelievable. Where are you goin to in Cyprus?

Cheers dude. We stay in Souni a village which is the Paphos side of Limmasol on the way to Troodos. The OH's parents a have a villa there so why not!

Week ending 16th May 10

Got in 2 x pool swim, 2 x bike, 4 x run a satisfactory week.
    Loads of work to do on the swim / bike front which is scary

Detail:

Mon:
    AM Pool swim - 1750m straight in 38:36. . Pace 11:00/ 500m This was a bit better than Fridays efforts.
    Lunch: 6 miles at 06:49 pace. HR 139. Run was fine but it was bloody cold for May.

Tues:
    Run Intervals lunch time.
    8 x 500m at better than 5K pace (~1:40 or better)
    I haven’t got access to a track at lunch -time though there is one adjacent to this 500m loop. About 150 meters of the loop was on long grass, which wasn’t ideal.
    This was also my first interval session in ages. 1 mile warm up. First interval was slow in 1:44 slowest then 1:38, 1:38, 1:37, 1:38, 1:37, 1:37, 1:37 and last been the quickest. Yes tougher than expected! 2 mile warm down
    Recovery reps were 250m jog which was approx 80secs.

Wed:
    AM Pool swim - 2000m straight in 43:40. Pace 10:54 / 500m
    Arms were bit sore. (Pussy) Satisfactory.
    This was a bit better than Fridays efforts.

Evening Bike
    Bike 56.1km. HR 133. Speed 30.6kph
    Route – Wicklow to Bray exit via Ashford and return.
    Legs ached and tired until 15-20k. Then ok. Had to work harder than usual.

Thurs: Evening run:
    8.1miles at 06:367 pace. HR 150
    Decided to follow the route of the Wicklow half, which included the toughest sections. Don’t know what I was at but pace was way quicker than planned.

Fri
    Rest:

Sat:
    Bike 84km. HR 135. Speed 28.8kph
    Route – Ashford, Roundwood, Rathdrum, Avoca, Arklow home
    Overall this was not a very enjoyable outing. Outwards up to Roundwood and then with about 20 k from home when my back ached and legs said “finish now”. Conditions were favourable so that’s no excuse.
    Sun:
    Run 14.1 miles. HR 144. Pace 06:55
    Oh not very enjoyable again. Late afternoon run and I was dehydrated from the start – stupid me.
    Took in the majority of the Half marathon route around Wicklow. I estimate there is only one mile section that is flat. The remaining 12 miles are either up hill or downhill. There are a couple of tough sections:
    The first hill is about 1k into the race is Friars hill. The first part of this is at its steepest for 300m then follows a long 500m drag after. Next the 1,500m up hill section from the port to the golf club will test many legs. This comes about 7.5k into the race.
    It’s going to be one tough day next Sat. I should have a picked an easier race to make is 8 half marathon PB’s in a row. Ha ha. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done again on switching from Ultra running training to Tri training seamlessly enough. I'm sure the bike will improve, its just a matter of engaging different muscles differently. Whats your first Tri Race? Is this summer the prelude to going long next year?

Well done again on switching from Ultra running training to Tri training seamlessly enough. I'm sure the bike will improve, its just a matter of engaging different muscles differently. Whats your first Tri Race? Is this summer the prelude to going long next year?

ya I need to give the bike time alright. There's not much point in getting fustrated or worring about pace yet. My hammers and calves were so tight on Sunday after that longish bike on Sat, something I'm not used to.

Olympic distance Tri Burgh on bank Holiday weekend is first of the year for me. I thought about Tri Athy but sorry not for me, just not my scene.
    I can get to Louisbugh from my weekend base in Sligo that weekend so I'm looking forward to it.
    Next year long? Yes hopefully. But it is daunting all the hrs training it will take. I almost got to 10hrs last week but for IM training that would be an easy week:(
    And trying to juggle that with a young family, 33 mile commute each way to work and the OH works full time too.
    I'm not just to going to enter the long one for sake of completing it.
    Long distance running training is so easy in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great training. Dunno how you keep going. What's your current half-marathon PB? You must have a pretty linear progression, if you're hoping to hit number 8 in a row. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement