Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good to see you ticking over nicely Abhainn. I lived in Wicklow town for years and I'm achingly familar with the roads mentioned as those were the roads I did my marathon training on in the mid noughties. Definitely not PB able (a pity that) unless you've only trotted a half marathon before and not raced it in earnest. Best of luck with the continued training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great training. Dunno how you keep going. What's your current half-marathon PB? You must have a pretty linear progression, if you're hoping to hit number 8 in a row. Best of luck with it.

KC Actually I left one out Longford 2007. I've had 8 HM PB's to date.
    Best is 78.03 and progression has been linear to now.

No.1 1:42
    No.2 1:34
    No.3 1:33
    No.4 1:31
    No.5 1:27
    No.6 1:24
    No.7 1:23
    No.8 1:18

If it was a flatter course I'd be confident of lowering that alright

Week ending 23rd May 10

This was a good week. Bike is feeling better, got
    Got in 2 swim (1 pool and 1 OW), 2 x bike, 4 x run including one race.

Detail:

Mon:
    The AM Pool swim didn’t happen. Felt very tired and body was sore.
    Lunch: Ventured out at lunch and did 6 easy miles at 07:24 pace. HR 128.
    The calves and hamstrings were tight and I had no energy at all. Tried out my new Nike Lunar Glide shoes, which feel good. Hoping to race in these on Sat.

Tues:
    Lunch - 7.1mile run at 06:58 pace. HR 136
    This was much better than yesterday. Calves and hammers still a bit tight but this was controlled and good.
    Evening: OW swim. Wicklow harbour. Punishment for missing yesterday’s pool session
    First OW swim of 2010. My God the water was freezing. I couldn’t put my face into the water for a good 5 mins. But conditions were good. Tried to focus on breathing and technique (if I have any that is). This was surprisingly enjoyable in the end.
    About 30mins session of continuos swimming

[B]Wed:
    AM Pool swim[/B]. 1750m straight in 38:21. Pace 10:56/ 500m
    12 hours after the OW swim I was back in the pool. Not ideal but I prefer to do pool swim early. Arms ached a bit, lanes were a bit congested.
    Evening Bike:
    Bike 54km. HR 126. Speed 30.9kph
    Route – Wicklow to Bray exit via Ashford and return.
    Conditions lovely and warm. This was a lot better. Legs feel better though it was a little harder on the way home due to breeze. HR nice and low and mostly (66%) in Z2.

Thurs:
    Rest

Fri:
    4.5 miles at 06:45 pace with some pick up’s.
    As usual not terribly fond of the first session after a rest day.

Sat:
    Race. Wicklow Half marathon Report

A 10K race was also incorporated into the event with over 200 taking part in each. With me living in Wicklow town this meant that I couldn’t really not do this.
    I did most of my warm up at home before I set off for the start. Humid and sunny are not ideal conditions for this hilly race. I set myself a minimum target of 1:20. I would have been very happy with a 1:19 and chuffed at a 1:18, but today wasn’t going to be easy.
    The gun went off on time and I found myself at the front. It wasn’t long however before two chaps set off. I assumed they were running in the half. Anyway I found myself running with a 10k runner who turned out to be Daithi BC. We exchanged words for a bit.
    Before we knew it we were over the first tough climb at Friars hill and settling into a nice pace. We went through 2 k in 07:30 (03:45 pace).
    Soon after another runner overtook us. It was hard to know if he was in the half or the 10k race. So that left me possibly 4th in the race standings. The next 2k were quick, a steep downhill part after which we turned onto the main road and then onto the new port road. The 5k marker was hit at 18:30, which is 1:18 pace. The next 5k section takes you along the close to the sea and port. The first 2k again are fast but then the climb from the port to the golf club was draining as pace slowed to over 4min / km. BeepBeep67 shouts encouragement as he takes photos around here. Finally I get to 10k in 38 flat with the last 5 k in 19:3. That wasn’t pretty. The gap to the 3rd placed runner is perhaps 100m, but he has slowed too.
    The route then takes us onward through Silver strand along the coast road. I pick up the pace, as the hills aren’t as bad but keep a watch on my HR that is fine for the present. The gap lengthens a bit to 3rd placed runner now. I almost accept he can’t be caught. I go through 15k in 57:02 with the last 5k in 19:02. I have almost reached the turnaround point and meet the two leaders who are still running together. I look forward to the final stretch home. There is a sizeable gap to 5th paced runner so unless I blow a gasket and slow drastically I can come home in 4th. I recognise some runners on return route and there are good shouts of encouragement. There are more up hills now on way back as I count down the final few k’s. By 18k I see the guy ahead is somewhat 35-40sec in front as I see that my minimum acceptable finish 1:20 finish was now in doubt. The undulating km at 19 was challenging as I see I appear to be gaining on the dude ahead. I can almost smell the finish line now as I focus 100% on getting 3rd place and I press on. .
    KM 20 is rather fun. On a few occasions as the guys ahead passes by specific marking I calculated how far I am behind. 25sec behind, then 18, then 12, then 10 secs. Well into the last Km now and at 500 meters to go I am directly on the heels of my foe. I stay there perhaps for 100 meters while I re-gather myself and take a little rest. Then I put the pedal down and go by my opponent who seems to approve of my move. He is beat. Shortly after I cross the line.:)
    Finish time 1:20:36. HR 170. 3rd Position
    This was a tough course. I am confident I would have got close to my PB if it were not for the hills
    Yes it was warm but I don’t think the heat affected me much. Happy with the outing.

Sun:
    Bike 51km. HR 123. Speed 30.3kph
    Route – Wicklow to Kilmac via Ashford and Newtown and return.
    This was a planned recovery bike as my quads are sore after race yesterday. The intention was to take it easy but it wasn’t too much of an effort in keeping it over 30kph. HR low and 80% of session done in Z2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Abhainn. Another great performance. Sounds more like you were on safari then running a race. Must have been tough not knowing who was doing the 10k and who was doing the half-marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Abhainn wrote: »
    BeepBeep67 shouts encouragement as he takes photos around here.

Abhainn in full flow (the race in pix).
    4628569179_56ef1528b8.jpg
    4628584623_8840343cef.jpg
    500 to go after taking 3rd place
    4628634557_f7de9f93eb.jpg

• Advertisement

Great great run and fab to claim a 'podium' place like that. Welcome too on board the good ship boards WWR team.

Week ending 30th May 10

Detail:

Mon:
    Quads really ached today and I felt tired.
    Lunch: Got out at lunch for an easy recovery run. Intending 6 miles but decided on 4.5 at 07:45 pace as legs very sore. So bike didn’t seem to aid recovery on Sunday

Tues:
    Lunch – 6 mile run at 07:19 pace. HR 126 (nearly all in Z2)
    Still in recovery mode after weekend. Quads were still sore but after a mile or two these loosened up.

Wed:
    AM Pool swim. 2000m straight in 42:48. Pace 10:42/ 500m
    Pace slowly improving. Hopefully will aim for some intervals next week.
    Evening: Bike 55km. HR 125. Speed 30.2kph
    The fresh north breeze slowed me up a bit on the route out, by the return tail breeze had eased.

Thurs:

Rest

Fri:
    Lunch: 7.1mile run at 06:56 pace. HR 137. Run ok
    Evening: OW swim in Wicklow harbour. 38 mins total but assuming it somewhere between 1600-1800m. Not bad, and water was a tad warmer.

Sat:
    Brick session.
    Planned to do this early am but as it was lashing I deferred it to the late afternoon.
    80k bike – Route: Wicklow, Rathnew, Roundwood, Rathdrum, Avoca, Arklow home. 28.3kph, HR 132. Because I moved this to the afternoon I found motivation over first 20 hard. I like getting sessions done am when possible.
    Nasty head wind on last 20k route home pissed me off.
    Run 4k: 4:09km pace. HR 148
    A quick shoe change and I was off again on my first brick this year. Legs turned over fine.

Sun:
    Leg 2 recce of the Wicklow way route. 9.3 miles in 1:26. HR 138
    An injury to one of the Boards relay team recently meant the group needed a replacement. Without really thinking I offered my services for the June 12 race.
    I never did an IMRA race before. I would prefer the security of a firm road surface unlike the different surfaces I would encounter in IMRA race. I didn’t know what to think when I found out I had the most difficult leg of the 8 leg race. Clever me. :rolleyes:
    Sunday morning I met up with Slogger Jogger, Krusty Clown and Magnet to run this recce. The 3 would induct me to the art of mountain running.
    We started off at Curtlestown and took it easyish. I was concerned my legs would be aching after yesterday’s brick but I found this very enjoyable. There were terrific views as we headed up to Djouce the highest point. SJ and I flew on the boardwalk section as I followed every step of the master in front. Finished refreshed overlooking a beautiful Lough Tay. :).
    It was great meeting the guys - thank you.

Weekly total : 9hrs:50mins

The week ahead:
    A very busy one it will. I have my first triathlon on Sat in Louisburgh– Tri Burgh. Just going out to enjoy it and hope for the best especially in the swim.
    I would have liked today Monday been a rest day but I had to get in a swim this morning (and run this afternoon) as I travel to Southampton tomorrow and there until Thursday. I won’t get any swim or bike while there.
    Hopefully I will get in a run or two and maybe a short bike on my return on Thursday
    Will be travelling to Sligo Fri afternoon

Likewise. You'll have to experience a run along some of the other legs too. Lots of argument as to what is the most difficult or most breathtaking. They all have something going for them. For a long distance runner though these legs are great, particularly leg 7 where Mick Byrne is only 2nd to the great John Brooks in terms of a super time run on that leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done baldy ha ha. Sweet taking 3rd spot like that. Your updates are getting longer too.. more reading all good. Good luck with the Tri at the weekend. A steady swim and bike and then the 'how many can I pass in 5k' game..!

Well done baldy ha ha. Sweet taking 3rd spot like that. Your updates are getting longer too.. more reading all good. Good luck with the Tri at the weekend. A steady swim and bike and then the 'how many can I pass in 5k' game..!

Not bald bucko :P. NO 1 blade, just looks like I have no hair though it is receeding very slowly from the front!
    Actually that will be a 10k on the leg. Should be good craic

• Advertisement

Week ending 6th June 10

This was a bit of a stressful week. No wonder I forgot to pack my helmet for the Tri Burgh race on Sat. :mad:
    Ideally Monday should have been a rest day as I was tired but as I was spending 3 days in UK with work I hadn’t the comfort of having this

Detail:

Mon:
    AM pool swim: 1500m at 05:54 / 250 m
    I didn't feel too bad before hand but once I started I knew this session could only be a recovery one. I had little energy at all and this was a real effort
    Lunch: 6 miles at 07:15 pace. HR 133
    One word - TIRED

Tues:
    Rest. In UK
    Visited a good Italien restaurant this evening in Southampton. Good fish though the town has frig all in it and town is a bit of a hole.

Wed:
    Early AM 7 mile run. 06:50pace. HR 138
    This was a lively run and I seem to be over the tiredness of Monday.
    Checked out Southsea in Portsmouth tonight. A rather cool trendy place, good bars and restaurants and great fish. Check it out if you are ever there.

Thurs:

AM 6 mile run. 07:05 pace. HR 133
    A bit tired from last night.
    Later somehow I didn’t miss my flight back. ;)

Fri:
    Rest.
    Travelling 6hrs from Wicklow via Blackrock to west Sligo. The main delay was a 4 car pile up near Longford which shut the N4 for ages. Our poor kids

Sat:

TRI Burgh Olympic triathlon. See race report

Sun:
    Bike of 72k at 26.9 kph. HR120
    It was a fairly late Sat night with a few pints of the black stuff so an easy ride of about 50k was the plan.
    I intended to take a loop around the OX mts. I had a nice tour of the mountains alright but I took 2 wrong turns and I ended up coming back the way I went out.

The week ahead:
    Leg 2 of the Wicklow Way relay mountain race beckons on Sat. A challenging leg of 15.3km route will test the calves and quads. Hoping to get in 8 sessions though I may drop the one run as working for 2 days in UK again. :(

Tri Burgh Race Report

I wasn’t keen on the option of Tri Athy this year. Last year it was overcrowded and I thought the course was terribly boring. So I was to try my luck at the inaugural Tri Burgh Olympic triathlon in Louisurgh.
    This was my first tri of the year and things got off to a poor start the night before in bed when as I was going through my swim to bike transition procedure I realised I had forgotten my helmet! What a tool. I normally have a checklist but this time I didn’t. A bit of a panic set in – where was I to get one early on a Sat? Luckily I contacted the contact number on the race website early Sat and was directed to a shop in Westport where I managed to get one.
    Heavy drizzle greeted us Carrowmore beach where the swim section was due to start but it cleared and the 70 or so competitors started off not with a horn but a whistle run start from the beach. The sea conditions were favourable and water visibility was good and before long I was around the first (small buoys) without too much incident. I found myself in a good rhythm, the fish particularly the large jelly variety I was keen to avoid. I went wayward a bit after the last bouy due to following another swimmer who had gone off course before I realised and exited the swim in 19:31, what a great 1500m time! Sadly the swim course was short and it was perhaps 900-950m. We were informed after it was due to the GPS breaking down before the race. Anyway transition was 200m from the water and I find out later that my swim time was 49th. Poor. I should have concentrated more on my swim that the observing all the fish.
    T1 was ok and I pass a few in there.
    Off on the bike and the roads were dry now. The bike is by and large a circular route and it takes in the stunning Lough Doo Valley. The outward section includes a fast downhill part and on return this is a climb. I overtake riders immediately but my legs as usual take maybe 15k before they get into race mode. At the turnaround I see I am in about 34th position with the leaders (machines!) about 4k ahead. The hilly course suits me and I get stronger as the bike continues and find the harder return section easier than the out bound route. The road surface is dodge for 5k of so and few have picked up punctures. I return to T2 in around 26th position, now hoping I can achieve a top 20 finish that is my target from the start. Time for the 41k is 1:20:40 (19th best) which isn’t fast but the course was tough enough.
    T2 is ok again as I find my running legs immediately and chase after 2 guys just ahead. .
    The first 3k or so of the run section is tough, and brings you though lovely narrow back roads. I overtake 5 guys and I am pleased to see I go though 2k in 07:50. As I reach the highest point on the run I can see 4 more runners in twisting road in the valley below – my next prey and these are taken with ease. My strong pace continues through 6k but soon after there is a testing drag up to 7k and it is just after this I overtake the leading female and my last and 12th victim. The last 2 k is fast enough and I finish strong. Run time for the 9.7k run is 37:24 (2nd best).
    Overall time 2:20:09, 14th position

Summary:
    Tri Burgh is a testing race. But this is set in great scenery, which will is a bonus and will sell this in the future. The organisation and marshalling was good though there was some concerns over safety on the road into transition from the bike. Hopefully the GPS can be fixed for the swim next year!
    Sadly there was no technical t-shirt only a crap and huge cotton thing from Elevrys. Finally I didn’t meet my boyhood hero Sean Kelly who was due to take part but was no where to be seen:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Well done on that result. I was there spectating for a while, and I thought it looked like a great event, or at least great potential once they iron out the kinks.

I thought the swim course looked shorter than 1500 all right, and I noticed in the instructions, they told people to swim straight back to shore after the third buoy out. Surely, people should swim back to the first buoy really, if it's a triangular course?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great report, I did the cycle section as part of a spin from Leenaun to Westport via Louisburgh and Killeen on Sunday, the drag up from Doolough is tasty for sure, you think you are finished and then hit 2 more hills! :)

Shame about the GPS and Sean Kelly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done abhainn.....u'd wanna cut out dat swimmin and bikin,it'll make ye soft......

Oh what I'd give right now to have the legs to make up 12 places off the bike. Great result Abhainn, the run must be like a game to you picking off your 'prey' and 'victims' :D

Great performance. Its a fab part of the world. The Doo lough area is one of my favorite places. Lucky people to be able to compete there.

Week ending 13th June 10

Detail:

Mon:

Rest

Tues:
    Lunch: 7.1 mile at 06:55 pace. HR 134
    Good run and legs felt strong and lively

Wed:
    AM Pool swim.
    Warm up of 250. Then 15x 100 with 40sec rest. Avg 1:57.5.Cool down of 250m. Had the benefit of only one in my lane but this was disappointingly slow I was still.
    Evening: Bike 55km. HR 128. Speed 30.9kph
    Fresh breeze made it hard enough on outward stretch. Nice tail wind on return.

Thurs:
    Evening run 7 mile 06:47 pace. HR 139
    In Southampton again, not a very nice route on roads.

Fri:

Rest.

Sat:
    Wicklow Way relay. See race report. (Friggin great win team).

Sun:
    AM. OW swim in Wicklow harbour. Took it easy and body a bit sore after yesterday’s efforts.
    36 mins total but assuming it somewhere between 1500-1700m.
    Started inside harbour and then swam beyond south pier and down along beach.
    Not bad, and water was a tad warmer

The afternoon bike didn’t happen for a number of reasons.

The week ahead:

Our two family week holiday is rapidly approaching on the 26th. We return two weeks before my main race of the summer the Half IM Distance Humbert Challenge. Hardly the best preparation but I do intend in getting in a number of OW swims and also runs while on hols. Sadly no bike time though.

I may do the Kilcoole 5 miler next Sunday, as the race is close to me and I may give it a go.

Wicklow Way relay race report
    (Virgins mountain runners take note :))

Leg Curtlestown to Lough Tay 15.1km / 763m climbing

It was Beepbeep 67’s fault. Leg 2 runner was injured, would I take on the challenge? Without thinking and not even looking at the profile of that section I said yes. I never did a mountain race before. I much prefer the level secure underfoot conditions. Here I can set my engine on cruise control and just focus on efficiency and mile markers instead of the challenging terrain where you have to been 100% alert where you put your foot, many gear changes and try and not get lost.
    Two weeks before I did the recce with Krusty and Slogger and Magnet. That was enjoyable, the race would be bloody hard.
    Early race morning I picked up Magnet from end of leg 2 and we headed to the start of that leg. A short warm up and we waited for out respective team leg 1 runners. The night before captain Donothoponop cunningly sets me a target of 75mins. I hadn’t a clue if that was manageable.
    By 58 mins in the first two runners handed over the imaginary baton to their colleagues. I count down 4 more runners before Krusty Clown comes into view at top speed at around 63min. Brill run dude. We tick hands and I race after two guys about 40 secs ahead, one chap an ex work colleague who I know well was running for UCD. He is my target but I know he is a very good mountain runner so this will be some challenge in unfamiliar territory
    The first few km’s aren’t flat but are manageable. I try and catch up with the two lads as they will show me the way. In mountain running apart from the difficult underfoot conditions where you can fall trip or turn on ankles etc you also have to find your way i.e. follow signs which sometimes are not in easy view when you are racing along. If I could run with these guys for the first 5k or so I would not have to worry about going wrong.
    I overtook one chap and then tried to link up with my ex work buddy. But at around 2k there are tricky and fast direction changes and steep drops and I loose him from view. He flies over this section. From my recce I know to turn right at the bottom and then there is a y in the path. But I fail to see the sign that is blocked by a car. Not too many seconds later I hear a roar and know I’ve gone wrong. I turn on a tuppence and run after the guy I overtaken earlier.
    Grand I’m ok now. I just lost 30 secs maybe. I overtake the chap again but the UCD colours are no where to be seen – blast.
    Soon after the course takes you along a river and I almost kill myself in tripping over a tent string. The peg goes flying, the tent occupants unwise. Jaysus I'm almost killing myself and the toughest terrain is still ahead.
    Crone forest car park is about 1/3 of the way and I see my watch is about 21.5mins – not too bad. I am now entering the hardest 1/3 of the race up to Djouce. I can see two runners not far ahead and I have brief chats with each (really a chance to take a breather) just before I overtake them. This section I find really tough, it is mostly up hill all the way and the trails in areas are just rocks. I run by a section and see beautiful Powercourt waterfall. I am hurting hard now. The ligaments in my ankles and knees ache. My achilles doesn’t now what’s going on. Moorland with many tree stumps is my next obstacle before I descend the steep rocky terrain to the Dargle river, my knees feeling very insecure. I see the two runners in the distance. My UCD friend has come into view and I calculate he is 1:05min ahead (I time when he crosses the river to when I cross). Just ahead of him is the lady who was leading runner from at the start of this leg.
    I manage the climb now to Djouce taking some quick walking breaks. I close in on the lady runner who shares a surname similar to mine. I bid farewell and as I am not getting close to the end of this touch middle third of the race. About 5k to go and I wonder if I can chase down the UCD colours. Time gap is now about 1:45. This narrow section around Djouce is tricky in places but I seem to be making ground. Then I am upon the boardwalk - Oh thank God, solid even and fast. I up the tempo and legs are feeling strong. The gap steadily comes down and I play with taking timing gaps regularly. Finally about 1k from the end I overtake my friend just as I see the start of leg 3 area about 1k ahead.
    There Vanessa is chomping at the bit waiting to tick my had and take over to leg 3.
    Time 73:31. (Ha under the captains target) HR 163

Krusty, Woddle and Racoon Queen are there to greet me and confirm we are in 2nd position.
    Well done all boards runners 1st and 7th. Bloody fantastic

Great report, worth waiting for. For your first mountain race you did fantastic. The guys and lady you passed are mountain running vets at this stage and are quality runners in their own right. I hope you see the appeal in the hills that drags us away from the roads and pavements :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mymojo

great report! i was on ur team running leg 4 ! u shud come out running on the hills more often! suzanne ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

wow, really enjoyed reading that report Abhainn. You showed some real determination and courage digging deep to catch your mate and doing it for the team. Well done dude!

mymojo wrote: »
    great report! i was on ur team running leg 4 ! u shud come out running on the hills more often! suzanne ;)

Sorry we didn't meet. Well done you also

wow, really enjoyed reading that report Abhainn. You showed some real determination and courage digging deep to catch your mate and doing it for the team. Well done dude!

I wish I had your form your displayed in the tri last week. Great bike man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done again abhainn....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great running again this morning Abhainn for 5th in the Kilcoole 5M.
    4716505191_8bb935f316.jpg

Week ending 20th June 10

Fustrating week and next won't be any better.

Detail:
    Mon:
    Lunch: 6 mile run around Tymon Park at 06:59 pace. HR 137
    The legs were still a bit achy after Sat Wicklow relay run.
    Evening:
    OW swim in Wicklow harbour, 3 laps around boats buoys etc.
    40min total. HR121.

Tues:
    Evening: Intervals at Charlesland track.
    In hindsight should have stayed at home. I was involved in a minor bump with my car. Totally my fault, bloody tool. Proceeded to the track with zero interest in the planned intervals of which I had planned 8 –10 x 400’s. . It was warm and track was busy.
    1K warm up then decided on doing 2 maybe 3.First one was 82 secs! Any way continued and eventually did 8 x 400 with 200m recovery. 82,77,75,76,75,77,73,74, Avg excluding the 1st was 75.8. Need to get this to 12 reps.
    1k warm down.

Wed:
    AM swim didn't happen. Felt wrecked. IM some day? my arse.

Evening: Bike 55km. HR 124. Speed 31.0kph
    Not a bad ride.

Thurs:
    Lunch: 7.1 mile run around Tymon Park. 06:51 pace. HR 139
    Not feeling great this am and nearly turned the car home on way to work. Young Liam had a virus last week and it seems to have spread to Sarah who wasn’t good.
    But by the time for the run I felt better

Fri:
    5.30am bike .Bike 55km. HR 124. Speed 30.5kph
    Route – Same as Wed.
    As I intend to do the Kilcoole 5 mile race on Sunday I brought bike forward.
    Had to reschedule this from the evening instead to before work. Legs asleep but not a bad ride.
    Planned OW swim didn’t happen in the evening. Hope to get it in before the weekend is out.

Sat:
    Rest. Swim didn’t happen.

Sun:
    Kilcoole 5 mile road race.
    Why did I want to do this? For a PB attempt? – Probably. In hindsight for the second time this week probably a bad choice. I should have dropped this for a long bike and long run over the weekend. The thing is that I mentioned to myself the long bike and run would have been the wise choice for the weekend.
    Anyway another warm and sunny day greeted the 100 or so runners in Kilcoole for this race in its first year. Spotted a few familiar faces, Beepbeep 67 was there but he hadn’t his racing shoes on as he is still trying to rid an annoying injury.
    The race was a little late starting but eventually my feet were into the first mile that was flat and comfortable. I found myself moving into 5th after mile 1 and felt comfortable in 05:28. The comfort side of things ended there and for the next 2.5 miles the course was testing, steep hills and drags greeted us frequently.
    These miles were testing. Miles 2 and 3 were done in a slow 05:58 a piece but the gap to 4th and 3rd stayed steady at around 10 secs throughout. Gladly the highest point was reached at 3.5 miles but mile 4 was slow at 05:59. No PB today sir. (Thanks for photo BB67)
    The last mile (05:18) was fast but I couldn’t bridge the 5 second gap to 4th position and some prize money.
    Time 28:43 which was 30secs outside my best.
    This was a well-organised race but route is not for a PB attempt.
    HR was 167, which is a bit surprising, as it would indicate my foot was not on the gas and I didn’t give this 100%.

Evening:
    Swim didn’t happen again. Had to work until 10pm. (Software engineers….. hmmmm:rolleyes::mad:)

Week ahead:

Need to get in a swim or 2, ha ha.
    Heading on hols on Sat and in UK Thurs so at least two enforced rest days which is crap.
    Extremely busy at work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

5th place when you're in bad form after a car crash and a week of Tri training and you're disappointed? You're just getting too used to picking up the prize-money. :)

I feel ya. Bumped my Car on the way to a Race recently, a costly consequence to an otherwise nice weekend. These things happen. It not your IM year so don't worry about those missed swims. The pool will welcome you during the winter.

As for that 5m run. Your 'slow' miles were sub 6 and you finished at 33 min 10k pace :eek: Not bad fo you even given the week you had. We must remember you are a family man amongst all that.

Head up, you are bound to have an off week every once in a while. Probably hits you hard as your highs this year have been so high :)

5th place when you're in bad form after a car crash and a week of Tri training and you're disappointed? You're just getting too used to picking up the prize-money. :)
    I feel ya. Bumped my Car on the way to a Race recently, a costly consequence to an otherwise nice weekend. These things happen. It not your IM year so don't worry about those missed swims. The pool will welcome you during the winter.

As for that 5m run. Your 'slow' miles were sub 6 and you finished at 33 min 10k pace :eek: Not bad fo you even given the week you had. We must remember you are a family man amongst all that.

Head up, you are bound to have an off week every once in a while. Probably hits you hard as your highs this year have been so high :)

Cheers guys, have to be more positive. Thankfully form is good and no injuries and everyone is healthy.
    Soon setting out for a nice bike ride.

Comon England ! You need a second goal

• Advertisement

Week ending 27th June 10

Detail:

Mon:

Lunch: 7.1 mile run around Tymon Park at 06:51 pace. HR 139
    Conditions warm and quads were a little sore after the race yesterday. But this was not a bad run.
    Earlier AM swim cancelled – just too tired. Finished work last night very late dinner poor sleep then, well what sleep I got.

Tues:

Lunch: 7.1 mile run around Tymon Park at 06:51 pace. HR 139
    Almost identical to yesterdays run
    Evening: OW swim Wicklow harbour. 40 mins. HR 117.
    After 3 cancellations finally got this in.
    Started in the harbour and then swam outside the pier and down around the shore and same line return.
    HR is low, need more effort.

Wed:
    Evening: Bike 81km. HR 131. Speed 29.9kph
    Route –Ashford, Kilmac then back via Roundwood, Laragh, Rathdrum Glenealy Ashford and home
    Yes finally a longish bike and managed to get out by 5pm. This was a confidence booster. The 4k climb from Kilmac back to Roundwood was manageable and felt good on it.

Thurs:
    Enforced Rest. Day trip UK with work. Long trying day.

Fri:
    5.30am bike. Bike 54km. HR 124. Speed 30.5kph
    Route – Ashford to Bray and return.
    Another early rise. I sort of pulled myself out of bed but I was awake so I just got on with it.
    Legs felt a bit achy probably because of longish ride on Wed with hamstrings particularly tight.

Evening:
    Was planning a swim but thought best to put this off as the OH would have gone nuts – final packing before Cyprus in the morning

Sat:
    Rest.
    Door to door 12.5 hours. Not much time in there for anything.

Sun
    Too many pints.

Plan for next two weeks:

A bit of damage limitation is the objective but also I hope not to put on too much weight either.
    I will try get in as many run and swim sessions with a max of 2 rest days each week. Some days will be doubles but I am hoping temperatures won’t be too hot in Cyprus (<30C). If it is it will mean very early mornings. There are few hilly running routes close to me that I intend to tackle. The OW swimming won’t be too choppy I hope

Advertisement