Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising the bar a little...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It was a tough day for 10ks. I thought that Adamstown may have been a better bet after facing the uphill drag into the wind (twice) in Firhouse, but it sounds like you had it every bit as tough in the afternoon. Well done on sticking to the task. A 36 minute 10k is a hell of a Vo2max session!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Week so far

Last weekends efforts have made me feeling a bit on the tired side and a bit run down all week but today I am feeling better.
    I think I was slightly hard on myself at missing my 10K PB by 10secs on Sat but the tough run will stand by me. I would love a crack at another 10k before the marathon preferably 3 weeks out. However the only one I can find is on the 25th Sep at Blessington- we’ll see

So it’s going to be a full on effort for Sat. Last year I ran 36:10 for 10K on a much easier course the week before the half so this gives me good confidence for a good run out this year.
    From my recollection the course is favourable up until mile 11. I will try and hold pace between 05:50-05:55 / mile till then.
    I hope to hit 5 miles in 29:10-29:20 and go through 10 miles in no quicker than 58:50. Miles 11 and especially 12 are tough so I’m hoping I won’t loose too much time there. Weather hopefully will hold out.
    Time to beat is 78:03.
    Roll on

Mon:
    Recovery 4.5 mile run at 07:36 pace. HR 123
    Legs were sore. It appears I have the DOMS in my legs from the weekend especially the right one. Took this one easy.

Tues:
    6 miles at 06:59 pace. HR 133.
    Right quad still sore. The very breezy and showery conditions made this all of a horrible run.

Wed:
    7.1 mile at 06:50. HR 138
    Run with 7 x 100m strides. Right quad still a wee bit sore but overall I felt ok. Breeze still nasty though

Thurs:

Rest

Fri:
    3 or 4 miles with pick ups planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Abhainn wrote: »
    However the only one I can find is on the 25th Sep at Blessington- we’ll see

I'll be doing this one myself, my 10km pb is due an update. Hope to see you there.

Job done:D

A well worked and controlled racen 1:16:58. New PB. Slipped into 6th gear for the final straight to get under the 1:17. Happy out
    What a difference a week makes.

Race report tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I would love a crack at another 10k before the marathon preferably 3 weeks out. However the only one I can find is on the 25th Sep at Blessington- we’ll see

donadea 10k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

ultraman1 wrote: »
    donadea 10k?

Loughrea 10k on the 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

2 nifty results in quick succession man, great speed. Well done on the PB!

Been very busy.

Adidas Half Marathon Race report.

I like half marathons. They have been kind to me. Since I started this running stuff I have bettered my time on each occasion except for one. This was my 9th half marathon.
    I was feeling ok at the start. I would have wished for more sleep the night before but you have to make do when you have 4 and 1 year olds.
    I met a few Wicklow tri dudes before hand and recognised a few familiar faces, some not since this very race a year before. Conditions were perfect for the start with no noticeable wind.
    I started off near the front. The first mile was refreshing and I refrained myself from going off too quick like some. Mile 1 was a perfect in 05:40 and I estimated I was somewhere between 45th and 50th position. As I settled into mile 2 I began searching around for the usual runner close to my pace to share the work. By mile 3 I was running with a lad and closing in on the immediate group ahead that included the leading lady. We went through mile 3 at in 17:19, which was the exact same time, a one-year earlier but I was felling very relaxed.
    There was a fair group of us as we pushed on for mile 4. There must have been drag on this one as the pace had dropped to 6:00. I was a bit unhappy at this. At the water station shortly after I pushed on wanting to keep the pace steady. No one came with me. I caught up to a lad and soon after went through mile 5 in 29:07. The previous mile was 05:48 but this was perfect. I was feeling great. Mile 6 soon passed and this was easy in 05:41. The 10k sign I thought came too soon after the 6-mile marker but I estimate I went through the real 10k in just under 36:00 – this was quicker than my 10k from the week before.
    My legs still felt light and my HR was still in zone 4 >169 BBM. Mile 7 was my quickest as I continued to gradually move up the field.
    Coming off my quickest mile I turned onto Wellington rd. I had forgotten about the half-mile hill at the Hyber pass at the end of this. Blast. I was still running on m own when I seen that bloody drag ahead. I counted 7 runners, the farthest about 200m ahead. I gradually reduced the gap. This was my slowest mile of the race but thankfully I wasn’t stupid in pushing too hard.
    Turning onto Acres rd the breeze was noticeable. I ran beside a chap in an Athenry AC vest for a half-mile or so. He didn’t seem to mind shielding the wind from me.
    I heard a familiar voice and a got good shout of encouragement as I took the tight right hand turn onto Military rd. That took my mind of things as I encountered the rain and a nasty head wind. I managed to bright the gap to a couple of guys ahead. We ran together, me doing most of the work mind you but I wanted to press on. I heard a familiar Garmin beep sounding we had passed mile 10 but the marker was a good 30secs further on. The garmin owner was complaining the course was long “its always long”. We pass the 10-mile marker. “58:29”. This was only about 10 sec outside my best for that distance. Last mile was 05:55.
    The group pressed on the Upper Glen climb. With less than 2 miles to go I knew the PB was secure but I wanted to try and squeeze under the 1:17’s. All of a sudden we loose the Garmin chap and the 2nd guy who was been sheltered the last 2 miles moves ahead.
    Into the last mile now and I see last split was 06:03 but I need a good last surge to make my target. As I hit 13 miles marker a chap flies by me and I take chase. He has a few yards on me at the line but this helps me sprint on and I see the clock counting up to 1:17.
    I cross the line with 1:17:00 on the clock. This is later revised down to 1:16:58.

Job done.
    I’m happy with my efforts in this race. Goal A met.
    My running economy is good and I think I got the pacing well.
    My average HR of 168 was lower than expected so maybe I could have pushed it a little more.
    With a flat course no wind maybe someday a 75 min half might be a possibility?

Introduced myself to Aero2k afterwards who ran a fab race. Krusty was looking relaxed as usual having done a great pace job. DONOTHOPONTHEPOP was cool with his bandana.

Next up the LAKEs 10k on Sat. Might try and stay with Heffsarmy:)

Splits from Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's great to see how a pro does it Joe. and thanks for setting my targets for next year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Was trying to see your marathon and half marathon race reports from last year but records dont go back past Jan '10...Are you running the New York or DCM...Impressive run in Dublin Half. Best of luck going forward....

Been very busy.

Well done Abhainn you seem to be peaking at the right time, more like I'll try and stay with you :)

It's great to see how a pro does it Joe. and thanks for setting my targets for next year. :)

Pro my arxe:p. But glad to be of help in setting the targets for you.
    Now you just DO IT in Berlin
    eon1208 wrote: »
    Was trying to see your marathon and half marathon race reports from last year but records dont go back past Jan '10...Are you running the New York or DCM...Impressive run in Dublin Half. Best of luck going forward....

Different log eon. You can find it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055593450&page=9

Doing Dublin. But New York is on my list some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great running Abhainn,

I've no doubt sub 75 is well within your capability. If I remember correctly you're a relatively recently born-again runner, and from what I've read it takes several years to reach your potential, so you can look forward to lots more PBs.

The film censor would have banned those mile splits - far too scary!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

nice one abhainn. you're a class runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

What your target times Saturday lads? I've just entered myself. Any one find results from last year to give an idea how tough the course might be.

What your target times Saturday lads?

I have no target for this race, will run it as a hard session, but sub 34 would put me on the right track for Dublin marathon. I can't find the last years results, but the winner was Brian Maher 31:XX.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    I have no target for this race, will run it as a hard session, but sub 34 would put me on the right track for Dublin marathon. I can't find the last years results, but the winner was Brian Maher 31:XX.

A sub 35 may be possibility - I will be trying to keep pace to 03:25-03:30 / km.
    Sub 34 , not a chance. I'll be seeing you guys at the end then. ;)

Fast course apart from 400m hill at 6.5k. Expect to loose 10-15 secs there

Results below

A sub 35 may be possibility - I will be trying to keep pace to 03:25-03:30 / km.
    Sub 34 , not a chance. I'll be seeing you guys at the end then. ;)

Sub 35 is my aim as well. Would obviously like to run faster but will run at 35 minute pace until half way (if I can poxy holiday) and if I'm feeling good push on then maybe. 03:25-03:30 / km looks good to me so might end up running together.

Sub 34 will have to wait until another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

Splits from Sat

Brilliant pacing there abhainn.....now that's how to run a race :D I'm sure a few of us would do well to pace our races as evenly as you did there.

All best for the lakes 10k - great to see you're in flying form!

• Advertisement

Week ending 26th September

Sun:
    10 miles at 07:04 pace. HR 133
    Quads a bit sore from the half on Sat so took this easy-ish.

Mon:
    5.6 mile run at 07:08 pace. HR 126
    Again took this easy and I felt tired. 4 miles would have been enough as by then it was becoming a slight effort.

Tues:
    7.1 miles at 06:52 pace. HR 136.
    Feeling better today and this was fine.

Wed:
    8.1 miles with 8 x 20 secs pick –ups. Pace 06:45 pace. HR 143.
    This was definitely harder than it should be. The body and legs still seem tired. Rest day thank fully tomorrow.

Thurs:
    Rest day

Fri:
    6 miles at 06:49 pace. HR 134.
    Fresh from a good 8 hrs sleep I was bouncing along in this one trying to keep pace down and not over exert myself before 10k race on Sat

Sat:
    The LAKEs 10K.
    The drive to Blessington from Ashford through the Sally Gap is magnificent I can’t wait to get in my first bike ride on this route.
    Cool but near perfect running conditions greeted us at the start. With a large field entered this race in its 2nd year is popular. I met Heffsarmy for the first time before the start and we agreed that we would run together for a while. Just before the off we were joined also joined by The Roadrunner. We settled into a group of about 8. The first K was relatively quick in 3:17 as the group became 4, Heffsarmy, The Roadrunner myself and another guy.
    The next couple of K’s were under 03:30 as the RoadRunner took on the pace making duties.
    For some reason in the 4th I found myself slightly behind on a gentle hill but re attached myself immediately. Not a good omen. The 4th and 5th KM were each at 3:34 /km as we went through 5k in 17:24. I was disappointed at this as we were 10 secs behind my pre- planned split.
    Into the 6th and I was feeling good again. The 4 of us at one point were lined up across the road.
    As soon as we encountered the hill I knew my legs didn’t have it. I normally stroll up these hills but on this occasion there was nothing there. This been the third race in 3 weeks was perhaps taking its toll. I was pissed off seeing the 3 guys gradually moving ahead. I got the legs moving again and as I passed the 9km sign I saw that a reasonable final km would just squeeze me inside 35:00. I was passed shortly after and should have gone with the lad but for some reason whether I couldn’t be arsed or I hadn’t it in me I failed in those final meters.
    Finish time 35:04, HR 169. PB by 50 secs.
    Looking back at the HR average it would seem I had more in the tank to give. Sub 35 – a future target.

Well done to Heffsarmy and The Roadrunner, the two boys had a nice battle at the end. Great times too. .

Sun:
    21.7 miles at 06:47 pace. HR141.
    This was my third out of four 20 mile + run for Dublin marathon.
    Before the start I was a bit tentative about my long run. Having run my quickest 10k ever the day before, there is always that bit of uncertainly with regard to any damage that had been done to the legs.
    I was also starting a bit due to the Berlin marathon.
    I cautiously set off on my estimated 2.5hr run. The first mile was just under 7min, which was a little fast I thought. I decided to go on feel and just try and keep the HR low. I was hoping I would encounter some runner along my route to Newtown but this didn’t happen. But my legs felt good with no pain. The out ward 11 miles were at 06:56 pace. The return 10.7 was averaging 06:38 with a few sub 06:30 thrown in. This was a strong economical run with only 8 mins of the workout was in zone 4. The engine has never been in such great working order.

Weekly miles = 57.5

Summary:
    3 races in 3 weeks, 2 PB’s and 2 excellent long runs, I am happy with that. Only one interval session in but the races were great VO2 max sessions.
    Two more weeks before taper, Oct 25th is fast approaching..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Finish time 35:04, HR 169. PB by 50 secs.

Savage, you go from strength to strength.That is some chunk off the PB, seems like the company helped.

It was good too meet up with you, the hill was a kick in the nuts but I'd say if you were fresher after the half marathon you have would no problem keeping or pushing the pace. Thats a very good long run you done yesterday after a hard race on saturday. From the day you book a marathon the time flys in, good luck with your last 2 weeks of training.

Week ending 3rd Oct

Mon:
    5.3 mile run at 07:25 pace. HR 126
    Enjoyable recovery run after the 1st mile that is

Tues:
    Rest:
    This was down for a 800 interval session but had to go to UK. Rest day was welcomed though

Wed:
    8.7 miles at 06:50 pace. HR 134
    Pre 7am run. If I didn’t get out early there wouldn’t have been a run today. This was grand

Thurs:
    8.1 mile 10 secs Progressive.
    My left achilles felt a little tender and I was feeling guilty at missing the interval on Tuesday and I needed to toughish workout… dilemma.
    Depending on how I it felt in the first 2 miles I would decide the rest of the session. It felt ok so decided on a 10 secs mile progression run. My pacing was a bit wayward but I was happy at the outcome. Spllts 07:02, 06:50,06:43,06:23, 06:19, 06:10, 06:02, 05:44

Fri: Disaster almost

6 miles at 06:57 pace. HR 127.
    This was a sort of a quick-ish recovery from yesterday. It nearly ended badly though. During the last mile my feet got caught in hidden wire in the grassy area just before I was crossing the road. I feel onto the road cutting hands and elbows. Thankfully legs were ok.

Sat:
    Marathon Pace Run- Crusing along
    12.7 mile run at 06:09 pace. HR 156
    This was a key session in my plan. To run this well would be a great confidence booster. The goal pace was 06:10-06:20 on this undulating route.
    Conditions very wet with rain torrential at times but it felt good. Right from the start met goal pace and went sub 6 on a few occasions on the downhill miles. With HR low I seemed to be cruising along for nearly all of this.
    Great workout.
    This was big improvement from last MP run 4 weeks ago. Maybe the 3 races in the interim had something to do about this.

Sun: Beerfest
    22.2 miles at 06:44 pace. HR142.
    I had some beers last night, it wasn’t quite Beerfest but I think I had 7 of the 330ml ones. This was a bit stupid of me as my tongue was a bit sand paper like when I awoke, even though I drank a fair amount of water during the evening.
    Got out at about 10am and the legs felt a little heavy. I was a bit worried over first 3 miles – it seemed a long way to my 22 miles goal!
    I trudged on anyway. At 11 miles the average pace was 06:54 and I was feeling ok. The second 11.2 miles were at 06:35. Achilles was a bit of a concern but a quick stretch mid way through seemed to ease tenderness.

Weekly miles = 63

Summary:
    The biggest week completed so I am happy at that. The sub 2:45 marathon this day three weeks is definitely within reach.

Fri: Disaster almost

6 miles at 06:57 pace. HR 127.
    This was a sort of a quick-ish recovery from yesterday. It nearly ended badly though. During the last mile my feet got caught in hidden wire in the grassy area just before I was crossing the road. I feel onto the road cutting hands and elbows. Thankfully legs were ok.

The exact same thing happened to me last March. Missed a weeks running with a bad knee but also just managed to avoid going under a car. Puts things in perspective I can tell you

Week ending 10th Oct

Mon:
    4.5 mile run at 07:28 pace. HR 124
    Easy recovery, legs did not feel too bad at all

Tues:
    Rest:
    Stay at home Dad today as our little lad has some sort of a virus. Hoping I won’t get it.

Wed:
    1k intervals, ah yes I just love these soo much.
    6 x 1k was the aim at just quicker than 10k pace (3:30/km) with 400 m recovery
    Turned out to be a good session even though the breeze was quite strong. Managed them all under goal pace: 3:26,3:21,3:22, 3:21, 3:22,3:22,
    Threw in a 1 x 500m at the end in 1:36 for good measure.

Total miles 7.8

Thurs
    7.1 miles at 06:50 pace. HR132
    This felt grand

Fri:
    6 miles at 06:54 pace. HR 136.
    I felt fine today but this was this was an unpleasant run. Felt hard and a bit laboured. Not enjoyable at all. And inefficient too. Some days are just like this. Maybe I caught a bit of the virus from our little man.

Sat:
    Marathon Pace Run
    11 miles at 06:12 pace. HR 158
    I have revised down my marathon pace to 06:10-06:15 / mile.
    This was much tougher than last weeks MP session. I was chasing the pace most of the time unlike last week when I was cruising along and hitting the splits with ease. My HR was higher and my left achilles was quite sore and tender after which was worrying

Sun: Almost not in the “zone”
    Lately I have been seeing accounts of runners finding the “zone” lately. I hadn’t experienced the ”runners high” this much in the last year and I definitely didn’t expect it during my last 20 mile run.
    My achilles was sore before the run and I thought my chances of getting anywhere near 20 miles were a total long shot.
    I went against all logical advice. My head was telling me postpone the run but I decided to run a mile or two and see how it felt. At only 500m I stopped and took a anti flamm.
    My legs felt very good however even after yesterday’s pace run. I had to correct my pace over the first few miles as they were sub 06:50. Before I knew it I had turned around at the 10 mile mark averaging 06:54.
    In short the return 10 miles were some of the most enjoyable in a long time. No pain, no discomfort just pleasure. Maybe my body was rejoicing at the fact this was my last long run for a few months.
    Return average 06:31.
    Summary: 20 miles at 06:43 pace. HR 140

Weekly miles = 57

Summary:
    So that’s it. All the hard stuff done. All training goals met.
    In 14 days I was originally aiming my pace within the window of 06:15-06:20. I have now reduced this to 06:10-06:15. Just to find a companion now to run that pace with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thats great training the last few weeks abhainn,looking forward to your DCM report

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Some great races and training there recently Abhainn. Good to see you enjoying your running. Enjoy the tapering down and hope your goals are met in 2 weeks time.

Well done Abhainn on the last 2 weeks off training, some good solid runs there, I envy you. I might join you on the marathon, if I make it too the start line. I have had a sh1t last 2 weeks, my itb was causing me to have terrible pain in my left knee, did'nt finish 2 key sessions. Then last tuesday got the flu have'nt run since, maybe its a blessing in disguise as my knee pain seems to be gone, hope to get out tommorow. Just one thing though, I would'nt chase the pace early on in the marathon, you should just cruise the first 10miles. Hope to see you at the start line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Well done Abhainn on the last 2 weeks off training, some good solid runs there, I envy you. I might join you on the marathon, if I make it too the start line. I have had a sh1t last 2 weeks, my itb was causing me to have terrible pain in my left knee, did'nt finish 2 key sessions. Then last tuesday got the flu have'nt run since, maybe its a blessing in disguise as my knee pain seems to be gone, hope to get out tommorow. Just one thing though, I would'nt chase the pace early on in the marathon, you should just cruise the first 10miles. Hope to see you at the start line.

On the day might jump in with you two boys myself for a while, if you dont mind.

Advertisement