Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shipping to north america

Options
  • 13-01-2010 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question.

I am looking for any info board members might have with regards to shipping from Dublin to Canada. Looking for company names and any experiences, suggestions members might have.
    So far, I have only been in touch with 1 company (baf-freight) for a general quote shipping to Toronto.

I am looking to ship personal belongings which would mostly fit in suitcases and boxes. (Clothes, books, some electronics, etc)
    Looking for the cheapest method, so shipping via sea is more than likely the best option? (Not concerned with how long it would take)

All info is appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Definitely get several quotes, they may vary widely, especially as some firms will pack for you and some just collect. Usually if you pack yourself, it's not insured for damage so if you have any paintings under glass, vases, electronics etc, I recommend going for the packing service. It goes by volume not weight, so stuff like duvets are not worth shipping but small heavy things are. By ship it'll take about 3 months, can take more or less, as they'll ship whenever they have a container full going to a port near you, and then whenever they have a lorry going to a town near you.

We shipped our belongings from Dublin to Arkansas in 2008 as we emmigrated. No furniture but clothes, nick-nacks, good cutlery and crockery etc. We went with Aim International, which wasn't the cheapest but of of the cheaper ones (I got 10+ quotes). They were very good and the two things that broke (a PS3 which wasn't working after it arrived, no idea what was wrong, and a plate) were paid for with no issues.

Advertisement