Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panniers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I've a set of these, you're welcome to borrow em ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks man really sound of you! I think they may be a little small but I could always get a tankbag/backback too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks man really sound of you! I think they may be a little small but I could always get a tankbag/backback too!

yea I picked up the tankbag from the same range second (but never used) for €15, love it.

Might be worth giving Cotters a ring to see if they sell luggage, they're having a huge sale atm so if they do you'll get a good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,451 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You going one-up or with pillion? For one person it should be plenty (although a tank bag is handy for the map pocket - write down the road numbers you want in thick marker - very easy to navigate all over France that way, GPS is for wusses :pac: )

You only end up using half of what you bring, so pack right, pack light!

Don't bring zillions of pairs of undies as you can wash stuff as you go (or dump and buy new!) :D

Don't bring a backpack (except maybe for bringing your camemberts and baguettes back from the hypermarket to the campsite) let the bike carry the load not you.

Good raingear is a must as you can get torrential downpours at any time of the summer, but you need to be prepared for hot days also (leather jackets are cooler than textile especially if they have zip vents you can open, but need a waterproof layer on top in the rain) and bring a thin fleecy jumper for riding in cool evenings, if you are going to be riding in the Alps or Pyrenees (and you really should) it gets much colder than you think as you climb, snow on the roadside in July is possible!

Finally don't get stuck with no juice on a Sunday as usually only the hypermarket fuel stations are open, and some only accept credit cards on Sundays not cash, Irish cards should work these days but it is possible to get caught out.

Scrap the cap!

Have been in Switzerland on the bike twice, but it's not worth the bother tbh, speed limits are very low on normal roads and heavily enforced, and you have to pay for a carnet to use the motorways...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

ninja900 wrote: »

Don't bring a backpack (except maybe for bringing your camemberts and baguettes back from the hypermarket to the campsite) let the bike carry the load not you.

That is really good advice.

You want to be as comfortable on the bike as posible - you are going to be on it for long periods.

An hour in a laundrette might be just the break that you need. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Whats your budget for panniers ?

If you're looking for something more permanent you can't get better than a set of Givi V35's

I have them for the Zed and they're great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Just a thought, but if you can afford it , I would strongly advise in favour of hard luggage. I went on European trip a few years ago and one lad had soft luggage like the Oxfords. At each stop he ended up carrying his bags around with him while the rest could leave everything locked up safely in hard cases while we went around towns etc.

You have time, so perhaps keep a neye out for second hand. You might be able to pick up cases and then buy the carrier for your particular bike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the advice lads. My budget is as little as possible really. Doubt I'd go for hard ones, the issue mentioned is not an issue, the other two lads I'm going with have soft ones anyway. Hard ones would look stupid on myt bike anyway lol. I don't see this as 'investing' more an expense for this trip. I may or may not do more touring, but if I do I'm sure it would be the same again.

We have friends in switzerland so a free place to say for a few days and also want to go mountain biking, they say the roads are savage anyway!

Doubt I'd go for hard ones, the issue mentioned is not an issue, the other two lads I'm going with have soft ones anyway
    :pac:
    Soft luggage is grand for touring with. A top box is easier to justify the expense as they can use it for commuting, trips within Ireland etc. but hard panniers need to be used to justify the money. My bike came with panniers, IIRC the mounting kit and boxes cost the previous owner close to a grand, I've only used them once or twice :(
    We have friends in switzerland so a free place to say for a few days and also want to go mountain biking, they say the roads are savage anyway!

Grand so. Lovely scenery and all that (although no Euro is a pain!) but I was just passing through from France to Austria/Italy and it took a lot longer than I planned to cross the country on the non-motorway roads.

If you haven't ridden on the wrong side of the road before, and maybe if you have, here's a tip. Get a square of removable vinyl sticker (about 20mm - I used to cut a bit off the stupid huge IRL sticker they used to give out with ferry tickets) and cut it into an arrow shape. When you board the ferry to France, stick it in the middle of your analogue speedo/tacho pointing to the right, so it'll be a constant reminder of which side of the road you should be on. Then when boarding the ferry back home, point it to the left, as you'll be well used to riding on the right by then...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement