Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared of getting stolen

Options
  • 13-01-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Hi All

All this sad talk of puppies and dogs going missing is getting me very worried. The vet also told us in our last 2 visits to be very careful of our pup being stolen and I am, to be honest, worried at this stage of bringing him out on my own for a walk. He is a house pet and is only let out the back to do his business and play. The garden is enclosed with a high wall but does have a lot of passing traffic.

Does anyone have any hints/ tips for securing your pet (he has been chipped and registered on FIDO.ie) as well.

Thanks

SS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

You can get dogs ID tags that have printed "I am chipped" on one side of it. Might also be an idea to get "I am chipped and neutered" which may deter those seeking a dog for breeding purposes.
    Also consider getting a sign made up and put it inside your garden that says something similar. This wont prevent the dog being stolen but again, it may deter stealing for breeding.
    You should be ok if you only let yours out to play and toilet etc.

Its a horrible situation to have to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well, make sure he's secure - i.e. if he's out the back when you're there keep an eye on him. When you go out for a while, leave him in the house.
    On walks don't have him off lead and walk at a time you feel the most safe, keep to public areas where there are people.

Just be vigilant really, it's all any of us can do. You have him chipped and registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Its horrible to have to consider it. Have ordered the dog tag with a mobile number on it and it states he is chipped. Also have the microchip registered...

We dont live in a 'rough' area as such but you never know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i only leave my two pups out in the garden with either one or both of my "mature" dogs - no one would come near either of them on their territory without me, plus they are enclosed in a 2.5 meter wall/fence with a motion sensitive security light, the gate is padlocked from the inside.

i'm a great believer in security lights at the "dark" areas of the house, not only means i can see where i am going but is a proven deterent against thieves

Yeah we have the lights... Thanks all.

The little sod wont eat his own food now. How long do you leave him until you feed him something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was thinking about this last night, following the thread on poor Bear.

I was thinking of getting a leather collar with all of the usual tags etc and printed inside the collar "reward for my safe return - 08xxxxxxxx". I know this could be an incentive to steal but if it's printed inside the collar they'd only know if the already had him and had the collar off.

What do you think? Good idea/terrible idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Paul91 wrote: »
    i only leave my two pups out in the garden with either one or both of my "mature" dogs - no one would come near either of them on their territory without me, plus they are enclosed in a 2.5 meter wall/fence with a motion sensitive security light, the gate is padlocked from the inside.

i'm a great believer in security lights at the "dark" areas of the house, not only means i can see where i am going but is a proven deterent against thieves

The first thing I got installed before I moved into this house last year was get a 500Watt security light with PIR sensor installed. Also my back garden has no gate into it and is surounded by an eight foot wall all round. The main reason for the Collie is a bit of security because I know collies are great deterants but most of the time will not bite unless they are seriously provoked. When the summer comes I can have both dogs out in the garden for two or three hours to have some fun and bring them in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

@ helena.ryan: I don't think that could do any harm tbh. Again, as in my own suggestions above, it wont prevent the theft but may get the dog back to you which is most important.

@ SarahSassy: Is he sick or is he just refusing to eat his food? If it's the latter, take it up until his next feed time. He wont be long in realising he eats when its put down or he gets none. It's better to feed your dog in a routine rather than "free-feeding" where you leave the food down and he takes it as and when he wants it.

He will eat pure chicken, lamb etc but not the usual dog food or nuts... He has had nothing today at all....

The vet told us to continue to free feed him as its not doing him any harm and there is no other dog here to take his food so there is no hurry on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

On Bella's tag I have
    (on one side four phone numbers)

I am spayed
    I am microchipped
    www.fido.ie

and "I NEED DAILY MEDICATION" (which she doesnt).

It will only work as long as it doesnt become the norm for ppl to do it, but dont mind sharing this little tip with you guys!!!!:D

• Advertisement

kildara wrote: »
    @ SarahSassy: Is he sick or is he just refusing to eat his food? If it's the latter, take it up until his next feed time. He wont be long in realising he eats when its put down or he gets none. It's better to feed your dog in a routine rather than "free-feeding" where you leave the food down and he takes it as and when he wants it.

Called the vet and had to bring him in cos he had a couple of bones a couple of days ago and the vet thinks he cant digest them. Also discovered his hips are hurting since his fall last week so he is on plenty of medication.

Not sure how to keep him quiet as he is running round like a mentaler all the time. Anyway, poor auld Leo is in the horrors but should be much improved in a couple of days...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Not sure how to keep him quiet as he is running round like a mentaler all the time.
    My cavalier is like that also but a lot of the time she just lies around sleeping. When she is awake though she is the most hyper little puppy I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fatcat

I have a GPS collar for my dog which I got from www.retrievatracking.com. It gives me great peace of mind.
    The initial cost is about €250 I think (I have mine about 9 months now so it may be different now) and there is a monthly tariff of about €15 (depends on exchange rate with UK£) for the phone contract as the collar works with a SIM card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Fatcat wrote: »
    I have a GPS collar for my dog which I got from www.retrievatracking.com. It gives me great peace of mind.
    The initial cost is about €250 I think (I have mine about 9 months now so it may be different now) and there is a monthly tariff of about €15 (depends on exchange rate with UK£) for the phone contract as the collar works with a SIM card.

I can see how the GPS collar would be helpful if the dog got out on its own and got lost, but surely if the dog was stolen they thieves would just take it off?

Yes, very good point - and one they have covered. The collar is made from a special type of fabric that cannot be cut by scissors and that is almost impossible to cut.
    The collar locks with a special key and, if anybody tries to force the lock open, the collar sends your mobile phone an alert.
    The only potential downside that I have found with this collar is that you near to have it fitted fairly snugly on your dog so that it cannot be pulled off over his head. My dog is a bull breed (and susceptible to being stolen for fighting which is why I got the collar) and her head is quite narrow in proportion to her think neck.
    But I have great peace of mind when she is wearing it To locate her, I just send a text to the collar and it comes back within about a minute with er GPS co-ordinates which you can input into Google Maps or you can also download special software onto your phone and have the collar's(and, therefore, your dog's) location identified on your phone map.

NOTE: I do not have any connection with this company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Yes, very good point - and one they have covered. The collar is made from a special type of fabric that cannot be cut by scissors and that is almost impossible to cut.
    The collar locks with a special key and, if anybody tries to force the lock open, the collar sends your mobile phone an alert.
    The only potential downside that I have found with this collar is that you near to have it fitted fairly snugly on your dog so that it cannot be pulled off over his head. My dog is a bull breed (and susceptible to being stolen for fighting which is why I got the collar) and her head is quite narrow in proportion to her think neck.
    But I have great peace of mind when she is wearing it To locate her, I just send a text to the collar and it comes back within about a minute with er GPS co-ordinates which you can input into Google Maps or you can also download special software onto your phone and have the collar's(and, therefore, your dog's) location identified on your phone map.

Oh thats brilliant, it was the fact that I thought it could be easily removed that was the only downside for me. Excellent piece of equipment then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I have something similar in my car - I stuck a pay-as-you-go SIM in it and it works fine. Just something you might want to try :-) Much cheaper than a contract SIM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Wow, fatcat that collar sounds amazing! Especially owning a husky, im petrified she'll get loose.

I was looking around their site. I see you have to charge the collar every week, is that really nessissary? id be scared id forget and the battery would be dead when I really need it!

Are the collars adjustable? Bellas not fully grown yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

Very smart idea indeed.
    Also, in so far as keeping your pets safe when you are not at home and as a deterent against burglars it wouldn't be any harm to attach a sign in a number of locations on your property stating- This property is under 24 hour ctc surveilance.

Hi Votejohn,
    The collar sends you a text when the battery is running low so you'll always know when it needs to be charged.
    I find that I only need to charge it every couple of weeks or so but I don't have it on my dog all day, every day as I am home a lot of the time with her so she's not wearing it all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement