Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence

Options
  • 13-01-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

the NARGC do i need to be in a gun club to get it. as i have alliance public liability insurance for countryside fishin and shootin..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

yeah you have to be in a club, the ifa also do insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

You have to be an NARGC affialated club not just a club

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Lads, I think the OP is asking if you need to be in the NARGC to get a firearms licence...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Gun/range membership required to apply for license. Or 2 permission letters from land owners if not affiliated with a club. Insurance you have should cover you. If you join a club to get the license you will automatically get NARGC insurance cover (as nearly all clubs are NARGC affiliated).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Is there a way of finding your local club over the net, as I know there isn't one in my village but have been told there is in the next. I trying word of mouth, but as I'm not a local and commute to work most days, my contact with locals is limited.

Hope the OP doesn't mind me jumpimg in on his thread.

• Advertisement

Never tried it, but the NARGC website may have a list of clubs. Don't know if they advertise it openly but if not why not ring them and ask for a list of clubs in the area. Tell them you want to see about joining but are new to the area. Sometimes a phone call works better than this interweb thing.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    Never tried it, but the NARGC website may have a list of clubs. Don't know if they advertise it openly but if not why not ring them and ask for a list of clubs in the area. Tell them you want to see about joining but are new to the area. Sometimes a phone call works better than this interweb thing.:D

Cheers will do that, I gaining extra permissions just got another this morning, but it would give me more access to land and more importantly hopefully give me the chance to learn more.

Once again apologies to OP for the highjack.

The local gun dealer is often the best place to ask they should know what club covers what area and who to contact.

As to requirements for a licence that is ENTIRELY up to your Super/Chief Supers discretion :eek:

The local gun dealer is often the best place to ask they should know what club covers what area and who to contact.

I keep thinking that, but sadly never when I'm in the shop:o

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

If you e-mail the NARGC (email address on nargc.ie) they will send you the contact number for the County Secretary. Give him/her a call and if you tell them roughly where you live they will give you the phone numbers for the Club Sec's for the clubs nearest to you.

That was what I had to do when I moved back home a couple of years ago. Our local club had disappeared and none of the locals knew who to contact in the neighbouring clubs.

• Advertisement

mrhd wrote: »
    If you e-mail the NARGC (email address on nargc.ie) they will send you the contact number for the County Secretary. Give him/her a call and if you tell them roughly where you live they will give you the phone numbers for the Club Sec's for the clubs nearest to you.

That was what I had to do when I moved back home a couple of years ago. Our local club had disappeared and none of the locals knew who to contact in the neighbouring clubs.

Cheers, just done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paul 12g

Odysseus wrote: »
    Cheers, just done it.
    thanks odysseus

was down the local gunclub had a chat with the charman he did me up a letter just sayin that a was lookin to get into the club and that ther was no point in being in it if a was not gettin my firearm licence its being a week now that me forms are hand'd into my local garda shop thing its time to find out were they are now .....just to get the balll rollling.. did anyone get ther new licence yet ????

paul 12g wrote: »
    is ther a super/chief in every county ???? or just dublin

Every county and both of them.
    ..........a week now that me forms are hand'd into my local garda shop thing its time to find out were they are now .....just to get the balll rollling.. did anyone get ther new licence yet ????

Settle there. A week is nothing. You are looking at at least 3-4 more weeks before you get word. Even then its a receipt letter to say your license application has been received. Then (if successful) you get your grant letter at which point you go to your post office, pay the fee and wait anothe 3-5 days for the license to arrive.

All in all from time of handing the application in to receiving the license you are looking at minimum 3 weeks up to the full 3 months allowed to process an application. Be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i thought every application takes 3 months now

paul 12g wrote: »
    is ther a super/chief in every county ???? or just dublin

There is a world outside Dublin :p

jap gt wrote: »
    i thought every application takes 3 months now

A maximum of 3 months. It can be done in any time frame up to 3 months. Just a matter of how fast the local FO, Super and Chief Super process the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

thanks, i was told with new licence it takes 3 months every time, well you learn something new everyday

was goina just call down to see if me forms were send off me locol gard seems nice he said he would call out to see my trggerlock ina few weeks

There is a world outside Dublin :p
    true from dublin live'n in laois the last 2 years never had dealins with the gards well just with i small thing;);) :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement