Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are houses put on the market (time of the year)?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

We are about to strat the process of selling our own house and buying another, now before any one tells me to wait, this is based on personal things, kids starting school, parents getting on etc. So the time is right for us.

My questions is when do people start putting houses up for sale again, in volume?
    Is it Feb, March? or later April / May?

Just trying to gage when I should put ours up and when I will see more appearing in the area we are looking at.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to housing market speculation, but from reading of various boards here and elsewhere it may take a number of years for house prices to start to reliably rise as they have quite a bit to fall first.

If a person earns 35k a year, and the banks will lend 5x MAX (should be 3.5 times) then 200k is the most a person could afford having saved 25k deposit is 200k.

I'd expect another 30% drop, at least, before the average Joe can buy the average house in Dublin. Apartment prices could be hit worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

I read that February is the time of the year when more houses go for sale because of couples with kids holding separation until after Xmas.

From reading several news and articles about the economic recover on the Euro zone, I wouldn't think a 30% drop on house prices will happen this year. Rather, prices will stop falling by mid year or a bit later and should start increasing by the end of the year although it will be a very slow climb.
    Banks will clear their balance sheet and will lend carefully at the beggining but rules will relax as time goes by and the recovery is stronger. The economy will need this injection of capital to kick off the construction market and with it other sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

fptosca wrote: »
    From reading several news and articles about the economic recover on the Euro zone, I wouldn't think a 30% drop on house prices will happen this year. Rather, prices will stop falling by mid year or a bit later and should start increasing by the end of the year although it will be a very slow climb.
    Any links for this? The only source for this opinion that I'm aware of is Pramit Ghose from Bloxhams Stockbrokers, with a far more qualified statement from Bloxham's chief economist. Anyway there's an entire thread for this discussion here.

OP it seems that the selling seasons are less well-defined than in the past - current economic issues probably take precedence. A short discussion in this article, but I'm sure it has been discussed elsewhere.
    Traditionally, spring and autumn were considered key times for house sales, and sellers were advised to wait for the most popular months – March and May, September and October – to open their doors. No more. With sales activity flat – even in key months – agents are telling sellers to go to market on the basis of now being as good a time as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,360 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fptosca wrote: »
    And then they will drop again when interest rates are increased.
    Banks will clear their balance sheet and will lend carefully at the beggining but rules will relax as time goes by and the recovery is stronger. The economy will need this injection of capital to kick off the construction market and with it other sectors.
    We don't know yet if NAMA will be a success. We don't know if banks will return to normal lending, nevermind the exuberant lending of the past. There is no guarantee of rising prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Hmmmmm I think this is getting off the topic.

What I asked was

"When are houses put on the market (time of the year)? "

Not how much will they drop or anything about NAMA, I think there are other threads for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,360 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Apologies. Spring and Autumn have been the traditional peaks, but properties are sold all years around.

Advertisement