Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish consumers care about Fairtrade?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Stereotype wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions on Fairtrade?

Fairtrade is a scam. Newstalk did an investigation into it recently.

Couple of things off the top of my head:

It is a massive organisation with a lot of staff and a lovely HQ. Charities should not operate like a multi-national.
    Corruption in Africa means the farmers don't get the money they're supposed to get.
    Farmers give their worst coffee beans to Fairtrade due to the fact that they're guaranteed a set price. They keep their good beans for the non-Fairtrade organisations.

There's more. Google for the documentary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 padraigggg

I don't go out of my way to buy FT products, but they do end up in my basket from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nwordjim

Fair Trade isn't working. It's "insufficiently aggressive" to support any real market. Fair Trade coffee represents 3% of the world trade as a whole. It's a well intentioned idea but it's doomed to result in failure. Unfortunately.

Higher prices = people buying less = lower demand = growers go out of business.

Advertisement