Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visonic wirefree system & GSM

Options
  • 13-01-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi All

There seems to be agreement that the best systems out there appear to be SigNET, Aritech and HKC.

How does the Visonic Complete rate in comparison? A couple of alarm companies have quoted me for fitting this system, and they reckon it's the best out there.
    It's for a home alarm with 7 contacts and 2 PIRs.

It seems every installer has their preference.

Another question - with a GSM unit, can I just go into a mobile phone shop and buy a pre-pay SIM for it? It doesn't need to be bill-pay or anything, which would end up being expensive?

Regards
    Brian

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi brian, its a very basic system & is good value if the price is right. I heard quotes on here for 1100 +. Thats way too dear for that. Jnealon here does a good price on them. I don' t bother with them to be honest , we concentrate on the higher end with the like of the SigNet .

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bigbru

Cheers Koolkid, maybe I'll PM JNealon to see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

bigbru wrote: »
    Hi All

There seems to be agreement that the best systems out there appear to be SigNET, Aritech and HKC.

How does the Visonic Complete rate in comparison? A couple of alarm companies have quoted me for fitting this system, and they reckon it's the best out there.
    It's for a home alarm with 7 contacts and 2 PIRs.

It seems every installer has their preference.

Another question - with a GSM unit, can I just go into a mobile phone shop and buy a pre-pay SIM for it? It doesn't need to be bill-pay or anything, which would end up being expensive?

Regards
    Brian

Hi brian,
    Below is a list of the powermax complete features:
    • Versatile communications capabilities:
      • Built-in PSTN communicator.
      • Easy-to-add internal GSM/GPRS communications modules for maximum alarm reporting reliability to the central station and back-up for the standard PSTN lines.
    • Voice functionality option (at the manufacturing level): two-way voice communication, voice prompts and family message center.
    • Optional proximity reader enables rapid arming and disarming without the need for a keyfob.
    • Expander module for adding 1 PGM output, 2 additional hardwired zones, 1 wired siren output, and Speech Box interface.
    • Choice of external or internal (fully protected) power supply.
    • Two-way RF system with diversity antenna facilitates highly reliable radio communication.
    • Partition-ready – controls up to 4 partitions (optional).
    • Easy-view LCD display and icon-based keypad.
    • Back-up battery – supplies multiple peripherals and also backs up internal
      GSM/GPRS modules.
    • Fully compliance with EN50131.
    From your list above you have contacts on the windows, should these be shock sensors ? With regards the sim card you can get a ready to go sim but make sure you register the sim on line so you can top it up on line. With the gsm it also gives you remote access to the alarm..

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bigbru

For the 7 contacts, I should clarify:
    1 x contacts (front door)
    1 x combined shock & contact on back French doors
    1 x shock sensors (bay window)
    4 x sensors on windows (combined shock & contact)
    2 x PIR

Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

bigbru wrote: »
    For the 7 contacts, I should clarify:
    1 x contacts (front door)
    1 x combined shock & contact on back French doors
    1 x shock sensors (bay window)
    4 x sensors on windows (combined shock & contact)
    2 x PIR

Does that make sense?

That sounds more like it. I was wondering when you said 7 contacts..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ButterDee

Hey koolkid. Just wondering where the best place to source the SigNet system would be?

Bigbru..what system have you decided to go with? Am in the same position myself...trying to decide which wireless system to go for. Going to install it ourselves.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Butter Dee in Dublin try Reliable Security . They are the best bet . If your going for the SigNet 220ip I'd avise ring ahead first. As a self install the SigNet has a very straight forward installation sequence. You also have the benefit of being able to fit revievers into keypads etc if there are any reception issues.
    If you need anything give me a shout.

Hey Kool Kid,
    Thanks a million for that. We contacted them today and they couldn't have been more helpful. And thanks for your help too....you seem to be the real expert on these threads. I have one other question for you; we have a typical 3 bed house with an added conservatory on the back. We were thinking of getting a panel, a key pad, a dialler, 2 key fobs, internal alarm, external alarm, 5 PIMs, 7 contacts for the windows and doors downstairs. Does this sound excessive?

5 PiRs is a lot. Why not put sensors & contacts on windows & Pir Hall & Landing.
    If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks again KoolKid. If we were to have this system installed by an expert how much do you think it would cost? Was thinking 3 PiRs (one for the conservatory hall and landing) and contacts and sensors for the 7 windows and 2 doors in our house, as well as the panel, keypad, a dialler, internal and external alarm and key fobs.

• Advertisement

around.€1500-€1600

Advertisement