Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ran out of oil/other rad problem too

• 13-01-2010 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I came back to my house (had it let) to find that the tank had been bled near enough dry, only gunk at the bottom, I had turned the boiler on before I realised (not sure of the boiler make), oil is ordered for today, normally when the boiler is on it will make a fairly obvious noise but didnt hear any, so what are the chances that once I get oil it will work straight away and if not what do I do

Also, its been a while since I was in the house and cant remember which of the valves is the on/off for each rad and which is the in/out
    Is there someway of telling

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Chances are the burner will not fire up and will have to be bled. As for the rads,only one of the valves will be turnable by hand.Should have a plus to minus symbol on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I came back to my house (had it let) to find that the tank had been bled near enough dry, only gunk at the bottom, I had turned the boiler on before I realised (not sure of the boiler make), oil is ordered for today, normally when the boiler is on it will make a fairly obvious noise but didnt hear any, so what are the chances that once I get oil it will work straight away and if not what do I do

Also, its been a while since I was in the house and cant remember which of the valves is the on/off for each rad and which is the in/out
    Is there someway of telling

Cheers

Some people have had frozen pipes due to cold weather recently. If your boiler has not been on in a while this could happen. Get the tank filled up and then press the restart button on the boiler. You will hear a whoosh and normally a splutter of smoke. My tank ran dry and I had to press this button twice but on the second go the boiler kicked off and there wasn't any probs. If it doesn't work you will have to come back with the symptoms...

Once the boiler is on the rads that dont get hot are the ones that are off. Usually the pipe on the right hand side of the radiator is the in and the left is the out. Whichever side has the screw/turn cap is the in...

Advertisement