Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello burner kicking tripswitch

• 13-01-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a firebird popular 90 with a riello burner located outside in what can only be described as a shack.

the shack has been weatherproof until yesterday when the roof started leaking.

when we got home from work the house was cold and all the sockets were off.

The tripswitch had gone, I'm not sure if it's an elcb or an rcd, but it's not a current one.

When I turned it on it tripped again straight away so I turned a few things off and tried again, quickly discovering it was the central heating at fault.

out I went for a looksee with it turned off and discovered the underside of the roof was wet and there were a few drips inside, but nothing major.

I made temporary repairs to the roof and put in a hairdryer to dry things out.

That seemed to help, after an hour or two the boiler ran for about an hour, I reset it and it ran again for another hour and a bit.

I put it back onto clock at that stage (as it was time for it to cut out anyway) and left the hair drier go all night. but it tripped again this morning, after a while again (the timeswitch isnt really a precision timing device)

I had a quick look before leaving for work and the roof is almost completely dry underneath, and I took the cover off the burner and left the hairdryer blowing onto it.

if that doesnt solve it how do you remove the grey box from a riello burner, It was in poor light this morning when I went at it, is there one screw or do they just pull off, I might open that up and give it a clean, plus spritz on some wd40 around the connections, but after that I'm a bit stumped.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

If it is tripping the elcb or rcd then that points to an earth fault most likely caused by water getting into the burner electrics or associated circuits. Try and prevent any more water getting in and dry out the burner electrics and any other electrics thoroughly. It will probably take a while to get it all dried out. Make sure the power is off to the unit when working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

more of the same so really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

phew, the hairdryer did the job, all credit to clairol :)

Advertisement