Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small pipe in gutter firing out water

• 13-01-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have noticed over the last few days there is a small pipe coming from the bottom of the gutter around my roof and its firing out water. To me it looks like a pipe that should let water out if the gutter is blocked or something but I wanted to double check.

I dont have a ladder to be able to see into the gutter to see if its blocked, but would the cold weather over the last few weeks have anything to do with this pipe all of a sudden leaking out water?

thanks in advance.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Suggest you go into your loft and check that pipe is not connected to your heating/ plumbing system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

sh!t really? would this do damage to anything in the house if it is? also when im up there, what should I look for? (sorry im absolutely useless at anything DIY)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hi All,
    ... To me it looks like a pipe that should let water out if the gutter is blocked or something but I wanted to double check. ...

It's nothing to do with the gutter. It's coming from the attic, and it's a sign that you need to check something there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

tw0nk wrote: »
    sh!t really? would this do damage to anything in the house if it is? also when im up there, what should I look for? (sorry im absolutely useless at anything DIY)

One possibility is that the ballcock is stuck open and not shutting off when the tank is full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭techdiver

That sounds like the overflow from your attic tank. It might be nothing or it might be a problem with you tanks ball cock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

Newer houses will have two tanks in the attic, each with an overflow pipe like this. One is for the heating & hot water and the other is for the cold water. If its the cold water tank (normally the larger of the two) then its more than likely the ballcock. If its the smaller one, you need to make sure the tank isn't filling from the hotwater pitching back up into it because of overheating. When you trace the pipe back to the tank just listen to see if water is coming from the ballcock. then try lift it up and see if it stops. It should stop totally. if not it can be replaced

Advertisement