Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap dealers

Options
  • 13-01-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi All, my old 1992 Vauxhall Astra needs the head gasket to be replaced.
    Any idea of costs and recommendations for scrap dealers in the Limerick region.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Bob Sweeney
    Castleconnell, Limerick.
    061 - 377496

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On an 18 year old car you are probably talking more than the car is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The gasket itself is only a small seal for the cylinders, and the gasket itself would only be about €100.

BUT to replace it involves disconnecting everything from the engine, removing it, cleaning it down thoroughly, separating the top and bottom parts, removing the old gasket and replacing it, before reassembling everything and testing that it is sealed before putting it back into the car.

So the labour cost is huge - between €500 and €1,000, depending on the type of engine.

Also discussed here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055464003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The gasket itself is only a small seal for the cylinders, and the gasket itself would only be about €100.

BUT to replace it involves disconnecting everything from the engine, removing it, cleaning it down thoroughly, separating the top and bottom parts, removing the old gasket and replacing it, before reassembling everything and testing that it is sealed before putting it back into the car.

So the labour cost is huge - between €500 and €1,000, depending on the type of engine.

Also discussed here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055464003

I read that last night and nearly fainted!
    I'll see what the options are and then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Millie wrote: »
    I read that last night and nearly fainted!
    I'll see what the options are and then decide.

Decide how much cash you can get together Millie and post a polite request on the Motors Forum on here.

You'll need to let them know your:

Budget Minimum, ideal and absolute maximum, Max Engine size (Tax & Insurance reasons), perhaps suggestions of what Cars you like.

- There's some really informed People on there who would be happy to help offer advice.

I wouldn't invest any more in your current Motor as its likely that it will not be a good long-term investment.

Have a look at the car sections on Adverts.ie and DoneDeal.ie also for inspiration and to get an idea of prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement