Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gas/electric fire

Options
  • 13-01-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

has anyone changed their gas fire for an electric one. They look and fit in exactly the same, there isn't as much heat from electric but you don't need two large vents in your wall so the heat is retained longer. Does anyone know any reasons not to go for electric..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The only thing i can think of is the cost of running it. If you block the vents and heat is retained then you might be able to run it for short periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

I have the gas fire but the room in my house is also pretty chilly so I blocked the vent along the ground as there was a gale blowing through it. I'm also going to reduce the size of the vent on the top to help.

Depending on the aspect of your house you should check your windows too. With the rain lashing & sun heat on the wooden window frames it appears the window has warped slightly. This has caused the soft draft excluder around the window frame to become ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

yeah they say flueless gas is 100% effecient as there's no heat lost up chimney. but it's all lost through vents required to make them safe. be careful blocking your vents. there are strict guide lines for those gas fires and minimum room sizes that they can be fitted in due to carbon monoxide exhaust fumes. i completely blocked mine but don't use gas fire at all, just rads. the room is warm for longer as a result. gas fire broken so considering electric. seems like a runner at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What I'd be interested in is what BTU output you'd get with an electric fire would be compared to the gas.

I quick walk around Fenton's should give you an idea of what level of electric fire you would like/need.

Only main problem is getting the power supply to it. And depending on the type of fire will dictate if it should be fully isolated on a seperate circuit, with 6mm or 10mm sq. twin and earth cable running to it...like a cooker!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

I want to remove a gas fire completely and hear it costs about €200 to get Bord Gais to come and remove???? It's a seperate installion from the gas heating. Anyone know anything about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

I'd really caution AGAINST moving from a gas fire to an electric one (and no I have no connection with Bord Gais).

Given current electricity costs, Gas fire is about 1/3 the cost of an electric one and heats up a room/water much faster.

Only downside is that one vent is required in the same room as the gas fire in case there is a break in the gas pipe (gas regulations)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

actually electric fires are cheaper to run than gas.instant heat with both. Neither heat the water. Two vents required for gas fire due to co emissions not potential break in pipes. The vents release all the heat from the fire rendering them 0% efficient rather than the 100% advertised. Also, the fires installed in the court have a max output of 2.3kw according to the manufacturers spec on website as opposed to 2kw output of the electric fire. A barely discernably difference. If your vents are sealed then there's obviously minimal heat loss. I had mine disconnected and removed by rgi plumber for 50e. Also got him to service gas boiler while he was at it, for 80, so 130 altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

I am not going to replace - just getting rid altogether and I m sure I can block up the vent. Even with the radiator on the room is freezing between the chimney and the vent. Wont be doing it for a couple of months but was trying to work out cost -

Advertisement