Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avensis vvti 1.6 - sounds like camchain rattle

• 13-01-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

The missus just bought a 1.6 01 Avensis,it has what looks to be 82k miles on the clock.It seems a tight car the only problem being that there is a rattley noise coming from the engine.The noise is not there when the car is cold and is most prominent when the car is ticking over,when the engine is revved it disappears.Bought it to a local mechanic,he said the noise sounded like it was coming from the top left of the engine(as you face the car) and he thought it sounded like a loose camchain but couldn't be sure.So before I shell out big money on changing the camchain (€450+) has anyone had similar problems? The reason I'm doubting it's the camchain(as is my mechanic) is because a friend works in a Toyota garage has never heard of a camchain go in these engines.Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

My old man has a 1.8 vvti and the cam chain slipped a couple of teeth. Symptoms similar to what you have described.

It caused internal damage to the engine and cost close to €2k to fix. Only had about 65-70k miles on it at the time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah I have changed chains in the avensis usually the car is either burning oil or lack of servicing, also intake manifold could be noisey. They can tend to make a loud vibration sound, now the i think of it get the tensioner for the aux belt checked as have changed them also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

could be a water pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    yeah I have changed chains in the avensis usually the car is either burning oil or lack of servicing, also intake manifold could be noisey. They can tend to make a loud vibration sound, now the i think of it get the tensioner for the aux belt checked as have changed them also
    Doesn't look good so,mechanic took off the fan belt and the noise was still there so that rules out the aux(I'm assuming that's a different word for fan belt) belt tensioner or waterpump,he ruled out the intake manifold too,is it a big job to change the chain?

rustynutz wrote: »
    Doesn't look good so,mechanic took off the fan belt and the noise was still there so that rules out the aux(I'm assuming that's a different word for fan belt) belt tensioner or waterpump,he ruled out the intake manifold too,is it a big job to change the chain?

Forgot to ask,would it be foolish to drive it as is and see if the sound gets worse,like I said it's not very loud at the moment and only at lower revs?Is it likely to snap without getting worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

I think there is a known problem with rattle from the inlet manifold.

Two local cars had this problem - one was a 2001 (1.6l)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Intake manifold is plastic and has an inner and an outer skin to reduce noise.
    This is a known problem on VVTi engines, also they can lose oil pressure and this can make the camchain rattle. Have you kept an eye on the Oil level? some early VVTi engines had problems with excessive oil consumption and burn oil at a ferocious rate 1l per 1000km may be worth keeping an eye on as well.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The Intake manifold is plastic and has an inner and an outer skin to reduce noise.
    This is a known problem on VVTi engines, also they can lose oil pressure and this can make the camchain rattle. Have you kept an eye on the Oil level? some early VVTi engines had problems with excessive oil consumption and burn oil at a ferocious rate 1l per 1000km may be worth keeping an eye on as well.

I'm going to drive it for a while and see what the oil consumption is like,no point forking out for new chain if it's drinking oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rustynutz wrote: »
    I'm going to drive it for a while and see what the oil consumption is like,no point forking out for new chain if it's drinking oil

The oil consumption is not that big a deal, Most should have been replaced under warranty but if it is using oil you could try a slightly heavier oil to slow the usage down.
    Not all engines had the problem.

Advertisement