Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2yr old afraid of bath

Options
  • 13-01-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Our little man, (Our hero !), has become afraid of the bath and having his hair washed. There seems no apparent reason for this, once he was ok, now nothing works (for last 4 months !). He'll get red in the face and bawl, tense up and start shaking at the mere mention of bath or wash time. Definetly won't get in the bath, have tried him in the shower with me with mammy waiting at door, it's like holding an eel ! have managed to wash his hair by holding over sink. Latest is just a sponge bath with a bucket and towels with his favourite toys and barney on dvd, but he still cried his eyes out. It's heartbreaking to see, but he has to be washed !! anybody any ideas on how to make it easier for him ? Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Take him to a toy shop and buy him a new toy specifically for the bath. It doesn't have to be anything fancy but talk about the bath and how great it will be to get the new toy into the bath and play with it in the bath, talk about the bath a lot.

Only put a couple of inches (literally) into the bath for the first few times and increase it gradually over time. Talk to him or sing songs while he's in the bath and make it as much fun as possible. Wash his hair at the very end and try and keep the water out of his eyes. If you don't have a non-slip mat in the bath you should get one, the more stable and the safer he feels, the less likely he is to panic.

Good luck, hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

yep get a new toy and make the first few baths as harmless as possible, even if it means not actually washing him, just getting him in to play. my girl was terrified of getting her hair washed until eventually she was like your boy at the mention of the bath so i had to gradually get her to enjoy the bath again, got those foam things that stick to tiles and no washing her hair til she was comfortable. she now asks for baths and has a bit of a cry sometimes when her hair has to be washed but its not the ordeal it was! good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

You can get a shampoo shield that you pull over the head but the crown part is missing and it prevents the water coming down on the face.

For the bath it might be worth putting a baby bath into the big bath and bathe him in the baby bath even having him standing but don't put water in the big bath. Bath toys are good distractions.

Both my boys went through a phase of hating the bath and having their hair washed. Once they outgrew that it was a battle to get them out of it.

Advertisement