Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys I need help with UPC Cisco Router

• 13-01-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Guys I need help setting the new Cisco modem /router to work as a modem only .as I have this fancy Netgear 3700 Dual band router which used to work fine with Eircom modem but now it refuses to identify Cisco as a modem only so it dosent work!
    basically I would like to disable the Cisco wirless and configure it to be a modem only ,I can access the setup but dont know much about bridging also it says Bridging (wirless ) no mention of bridging in ethernet mode as this the way Cisco will connect to Netgear
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

I'm not sure you'd need to bother with the bridging. Plug the router into one of the ethernet ports and the modem should supply it with an IP. The router should then supply the computers etc with IPs.

Remember to just set the router so that it detects everything automatically, dynamic ip etc. You shouldn't need to enter a username/id for your internet service either.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

I'm not sure you'd need to bother with the bridging. Plug the router into one of the ethernet ports and the modem should supply it with an IP. The router should then supply the computers etc with IPs.

Remember to just set the router so that it detects everything automatically, dynamic ip etc. You shouldn't need to enter a username/id for your internet service either.

Oh I hope it is the case, cause I spent hours last night trying using the Netgear router setup disk and it failed to read the Cisco modem

I also had the old Scientific atlanta modem from a previoue UPC cancelled account and when I replaced the Cisco with the Scientific atlanta. it detected the up and down signal but asked for UPC user and password identifcation,which I'm sure I was given one when I sined up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

kamin99 wrote: »
    Oh I hope it is the case, cause I spent hours last night trying using the Netgear router setup disk and it failed to read the Cisco modem

Don't bother with the disc. Just plug a computer into the router with an ethernet cable and access the router via your web browser. You'll need to reset the router first by sticking a paper clip into the reset hole thingy at the back. Then go to 192.168.1.1 on your web browswer. The default Netgear username is admin. The password is password (I know haha).

It should then bring you through the setup, choosing a dynmaic ip etc.

The reason your old modem is now asking for a password is because it is probably no longer registered to the UPC network/your_account.

Don't bother with the disc. Just plug a computer into the router with an ethernet cable and access the router via your web browser. You'll need to reset the router first by sticking a paper clip into the reset hole thingy at the back. Then go to 192.168.1.1 on your web browswer. The default Netgear username is admin. The password is password (I know haha).

It should then bring you through the setup, choosing a dynmaic ip etc.

The reason your old modem is now asking for a password is because it is probably no longer registered to the UPC network/your_account.

Oh many thanks This sound very reasuring ,I will try it and will post back with results

kamin99 wrote: »
    Oh many thanks This sound very reasuring ,I will try it and will post back with results

Wow it is working Many thanks:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Hey I aslo have the wndr3700 and managed to bridge my EPC2425 but lost the phone.. I was expecting to get a more stable wifi transfare but this hasnt been the case.. I ran speedtest and got a max of 256m a second over wifi mad I know..

did you have any trouble before you switched routers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement