Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Access Point Location

• 13-01-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about gettingUPC broadband into the house soon and had a few questions I hope someone could answer.

I know this seems like a stupid question but....
    How exactly does the broadband come into the house?
    Is it easy to move the access point or have it in any location I like. I ask this because I was wondering if I would be able to have the router in my bedroom like I currently have. Currently I have ran a phone line up into my bedroom and have the router beside my computer as most of my internet using gadgets are up there. I like it up here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

The UPC router/modem is connected to the "TV" cable, same as your TV or digibox - if you have a working cable point in the bedroom, you can connect the router there. If you were to run an extension from somewhere else, you'd need to extend the cable connection from wherever your main cable point is.

If you don't have UPC TV at all, they'll probably install a new cable point for you and you can ask them to put it in the bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Thanks for that. Have split the TV cable in the attic for the TV in my bedroom so that means that I can hook the router up to the cable in my room and it will work from there. Do you know if you can run into problems with signal strength? Since I have split it up at several places throughout the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Bu11et_Proof

They might have to run a new cable just for the modem, the signal in the bedroom may not be up to it if you have split it in the attic. They can test the point in the bedroom first they have this handheld device they use to check signal strength.

I've had UPC in 3 different houses and in one they had to run a new cable as I wanted it in the back bedroom, the other 2 I just left the modem in the front room where the main UPC point was.

Enjoy your cable BB man, I've never looked back since getting it.

Do you know if you can run into problems with signal strength? Since I have split it up at several places throughout the house.

Just like Bu11et_Proof said, you might run into problems with signal strength depending on the distance, quality of the cable, etc - but the engineer will be able to check beforehand for you, just ask him instead of setting it up in the living room and then moving the router yourself.

And when you do get it installed, you might want to use it for a few days with something wired to the router directly, instead of over wireless - this way you'll know if you have problems with your speed, eliminating the whole wireless part of the setup which can cause slowdowns in some cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

J-blk wrote: »
    you might want to use it for a few days with something wired to the router directly, instead of over wireless - this way you'll know if you have problems with your speed, eliminating the whole wireless part of the setup which can cause slowdowns in some cases.
    I try not to use wireless at all really. When Possible. That's why I have it in the bedroom. Since I have my PC, PS3, and the rest up there.
    Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

I try not to use wireless at all really. When Possible. That's why I have it in the bedroom. Since I have my PC, PS3, and the rest up there.

That's the way to go IMO - even with 802.11n, I just don't find WiFi reliable for some things and keep a lot of my devices wired to my router too...

Anyway, best of luck with getting everything sorted with UPC, I've been with them for several years and have mostly positive experiences with them so I'd definitely recommend them.

Advertisement