Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Deauville - 70k Miles too much

• 13-01-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am thinking of buying a honda Deauville, and have one in mind from an ad I saw. The preson sellign it said it was used a daily commueter bike in the Uk, and was regularly serviced, every 4000 miles. Seems in good nick, but am I just asking for trouble with that kind of mileage on the clock, or if it is regularly serviced, should it be ok. Is 70k miles just too much? I need it to commute daily about 40km round trip.

Cheers

Twominator

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

A regurlarly serviced Honda will never die :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It was taken good care of. you do the same and the frame should last well past 300,000miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

KamiKazi wrote: »

As the man says :D

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

If the price reflects the mileage and there's receipts to back up the servicing fire away!

Prefer to buy a bike with high miles than one with 30k and no service history myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What price is it going for? Its very easy to pick up a good quality, low mileage deauville so you shouldnt need to go for a high mileage model.

JP motorcycles on Pearse St is always getting them in. (Ive bought 2 off them!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

My advice is to always buy the lowest mileage bike you can afford. While a Deauville can reach very high mileages due to the relatively unstressed engine, there are other parts which will have to be maintained carefully. The forks, headrace, wheel bearings, shock linkage and drive components are all in line for early failure at that mileage and despite maintenance will never be as good as a lower mileage bike.

Second, any bike coming in from the UK must be carefully checked to ensure the mileage is genuine. It is vital that you check the service history and all old MOT's to be sure that the bike isn't hiding another 40k miles somewhere.

I wouldn't buy it unless it was selling for almost half price.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,450 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

KamiKazi wrote: »

Not true. I bought a CBR600 new in 1998, did 60,000 miles on it with regular servicing and almost no problems, but soon after that the head gasket blew and there were all sorts of other problems. Back in the 80s some Hondas were famous for going up to 30 or 40,000 miles and then breaking everything at once, Superdreams were notorious. A lot of them had serious electrical hassles as well. Highly overrated as a marque in my opinion! The prices of official spares are crazy.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

What year is it? & ho much are they asking? Remember its a buyers market at the moment so if you arent happy with it you should easily be able to find another one (D's are quite common)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Twominator

€2000 asking price. Too much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Twominator wrote: »
    €2000 asking price. Too much?

You haven't said what year it is but if you really want it, offer €1650 and see what happens.

It seems reasonably priced at 2k - you won't lose a whole lot if you sell it on in a years time.

Check the documentation, service record and bike condition very carefully and take a punt.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

A lad I know bough one from the UK about the same mile on it after 6 months it was f***ED it had been clocked be carefull.

I think it was a lad called Dave on Done Deal he said he would bring over for him he is still putting bikes up on Done Deal make sure it not the same lad

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Twominator

Yeah, thats the guy alright. It was fecked was it? Thats a bummer. Sounded like a good deal, but I suppose that might be why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭zzr

listen for the rattles wooooo:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

crazy

why would you want one and why would youi want one with thaat sorta milege

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,450 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tigger wrote: »
    why would you want one

why not? I'd have one as a second bike. Not everyone needs or wants 170mph performance and a seat and bars that leave you in bits after half an hour and no storage space.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

so get an old vfr

70,000 is too much end of

Advertisement