Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Robbery Thwarted in Renmore.

Options
  • 13-01-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hey guys. Was in the kitchen yesterday evening around 8pm, when out of the corner of my eye I though I saw someone passing the window in the side door. Thinking it was just in my head I popped the head out the door, looking towards the street, and saw some lad waking briskly out the drive with my bicycle! I called after him, chased him, caught up and reefed the bike from under him. He ended up flat on his back on the road, making some feeble claim that it's his bike. I gave him serious dogs abuse. He got up and scampered off. The guy was foreign (maybe Polish), short, slim, short black leather jacket & dark coloured military cap. Don't normally lock my bicycle when it's in the shed, but will have to now. Only realised afterwards that I had cut my knee and shin somehow too.
    Just a heads up to people in the area. Watch out for your stuff. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I'll get you next time... next time. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Suddenly Indiana Jones' theme start playing in my head :D

Lucifer31, fair play for not letting the little **** get away with your bike!
    Many scumbags just count on peoples innocence and trustiness to keep doing their crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Please tell me you kicked the lard out of him?

I know I would. Nobody has the right to come on to your property much less take your property. I would worry about what I would do to the person involved if it happened me. That's how passionately I feel about it. And thankfully the law is being changed to give the victim more protection in court if they do end up killing someone for coming in to their house.

Did you even report him to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Dang furriners, cummin ovr here, tekkin are bieks.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

While violence is not always the solutions, the little shítebag deserved a couple of clatters over that. That kinda thing really annoys me, smartarses thinking they can just walk onto other peoples property and relieve them of their belongings.

Fair play OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Since you had the guy,why didn't you call the cops. I know only too well the hassle of it, but this guy is brazen enough to walk into YOUR shed to steal YOUR property and all he got was a ticking off. Something tells me it won't be the last time he tries it and the next victim mightn't be so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Hold your horses their guys, maybe the op wasn't in a position to hold your man or dish out a few slaps, not everyone is? Hope he at least rang the guards with a good description of that fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Fair play to ya!

I suppose calling the cops would have been the thing, but perhaps keeping him there is another matter.** just saw post above saying same.

In terms of if you had given him more than a clatter, I think the law would be waaay less in your favour, as you chased him down and there was no 'imminent danger' on your actual property. Sorry you have to lock your bike up now in your own feckin' house!:(

At least you caught him tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Not every one can take a criminal in hand, but I presumed that since he chased him down and pulled him off the bike and the description he gave(short/slim) that he might have been able to subdue him and call the gardai. If I'm wrong , I apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Thanks for posting this and warning folk to lock their bikes even if it's on their property. Yikes. I remember my bike got stolen and it was in the shed of the house I was renting and it was a terraced house!! They fell through the shed roof (huge hole left in it) and yanked it over the wall. It wasn't like it was some expensive racer or anything!! Actually it was a bit of a crock but I missed it, it's not like I had a car at the time:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Dang furriners, cummin ovr here, tekkin are bieks.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Not every one can take a criminal in hand, but I presumed that since he chased him down and pulled him off the bike and the description he gave(short/slim) that he might have been able to subdue him and call the gardai. If I'm wrong , I apologise.

Sure you'd probably get done for assault and false imprisonment then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

As livid as you'd be, I don't think it's safe tackling guys like this (thieves I mean, not Polish) any more aggressively than the OP did. He could have been carrying a knife or other weapon.

Well done OP. The cheek of the fecker!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Thanks for the concern guys. I guess by not beating on the guy, I was hoping not to give him a reason to come back that night, or any other night to vandalise my car or motorcycle that both sit in the driveway. Didn't call the Guards, but from the advice, I think I will, just to have the event logged. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    (maybe Polish)
    July wrote: »
    As livid as you'd be, I don't think it's safe tackling guys like this (thieves I mean, not Polish)

Nice story and all, any need to label him as from one particular country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I took it as an additional description tbh, as in 'white, skinny, Eastern European'
    (although he could have been black and Polish I suppose!)

Someone's accent IS an identifying factor, I didn't take it that the OP was singling out his nationality other than to help identify him, like you would with hair colour or height.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

EI111 wrote: »
    Nice story and all, any need to label him as from one particular country?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

inisboffin wrote: »
    I took it as an additional description tbh, as in 'white, skinny, Eastern European'
    (although he could have been black and Polish I suppose!)

Someone's accent IS an identifying factor, I didn't take it that the OP was singling out his nationality other than to help identify him, like you would with hair colour or height.

I know. Eastern European is what he should have said then. It was a complete guess. I'm far from a political correctness campaigner, but why are all eastern europeans labelled Polish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i actually think there is a bike thief....many a bike has been taken...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xxpoppyxx

That is just terrible what is the world coming to at all.[/font]
    Quick story anyone's oil been burning allot quicker then usual, did you think it could have been stolen. We caught a couple of lads trying to steal oil from our tank come on now would it not be easier just to go and buy some. Nothing is safe and secure anymore. These people should be given long sentence's in jail if they re-offend they get even longer and have jails as a punishment not a relaxing holiday home for a couple of months. They have gyms, TV in bedroom, dvds, playstations game rooms how is this punishment no wonder we have people re-offending they want to go back
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DubberRuckie

Well of the Eastern Europeans, there are more Polish than any other nationality so I suppose it was a fair guess..

God the cheek of some people.. I wouldnt fancy living alone these days that's for sure..

Advertisement