Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Energy Saving Scheme. Price on Top of Grant??

• 13-01-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am considering applying for the HES Scheme. The insulation in the house is a joke. There is a fireplace in the sitting room that heats the water tank. Upstairs for the last two weeks it was warmer outside. I layed out fibreglass insulation in the attic about 5 years ago. And we have installed a small range fire in the kitchen.

What i am wondering is if i do apply for the HES grant will i have to pay much on top of it myself?

Roof insulation has a grant of €250. How much more would i be expected to pay?

Wall insulation:

Cavity insulation €400 grant
    Dry Lining insulation €2500 grant
    External insulation €4000 grant

I have no idea which of these would be most suitable for the house?

Heating Controls

High Efficiency Oil Boiler Installaion with heating controls upgrade €700

Heating controls Upgrade Only €500

There are no radiators in the house at the moment so hopefully these could be ran off the Oil Boiler?

So with those grants included how much would i be expecting to pay.

The house was built during the seventies.

Hope someone can help me out with this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

If you have only got an open fire and a stove to heat the house I don't know if SEI can / will give you the grant to upgrade a bolier and heating controls that you don't already have?

Its very hard to tell what insulations costs when you don't mention the size and type of construction of your house or to reccomend which would be best for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

No6 wrote: »
    If you have only got an open fire and a stove to heat the house I don't know if SEI can / will give you the grant to upgrade a bolier and heating controls that you don't already have?

Its very hard to tell what insulations costs when you don't mention the size and type of construction of your house or to reccomend which would be best for you.

Oh, I was hoping the grant could be used to install a boiler and heating controls?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Oh, I was hoping the grant could be used to install a boiler and heating controls?

Check with SEI, ring the HES helpline or email them, you will be talking about a failry large cost to install a full heating system with or without the grant.

Check with SEI, ring the HES helpline or email them, you will be talking about a failry large cost to install a full heating system with or without the grant.

Could you give a ballpark figure? Its a two storey house with 3 upstairs bedrooms. The bathroom is down stairs and there is an extension off the kitchen.

I think it has to be done. Its my parents home, they are not getting any younger and id like to have it installed and fully insulated before next winter.

Off the top of my head the last quote i got in which included an entire new heating system, papes, radiators boiler and controls was somewhere around 6 or 7 K. The best thing you could do is get a quote from a few local plumbers for both labour and materials. Insluation costs vary, the pumped insulation is by far the cheapest but only works with houses with cavity walls, drylining is midrange but there is a lot of disruption internally and external insulation is very expensive. Once again the best advice I can give you is to get some quotes from SEI registered contractors locally, prices are generally competitive at the moment so get the prices before applying for any grants and at least you will know what you are letting yourself in for. You may also consider applying for the Before and after BER cert grant and getting a good local BER assessor to look over the house for you and give you an independent view of what is most suitable for your budget and your parents needs.

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head the last quote i got in which included an entire new heating system, papes, radiators boiler and controls was somewhere around 6 or 7 K. The best thing you could do is get a quote from a few local plumbers for both labour and materials. Insluation costs vary, the pumped insulation is by far the cheapest but only works with houses with cavity walls, drylining is midrange but there is a lot of disruption internally and external insulation is very expensive. Once again the best advice I can give you is to get some quotes from SEI registered contractors locally, prices are generally competitive at the moment so get the prices before applying for any grants and at least you will know what you are letting yourself in for. You may also consider applying for the Before and after BER cert grant and getting a good local BER assessor to look over the house for you and give you an independent view of what is most suitable for your budget and your parents needs.

Thanks alot for your advice today mate. Ill do just that. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Be careful when you are getting your quotes. I have used one particular builder for various jobs over the years (extension & conversions) but they are not SEI registered. When I went to upgrade my boiler and heating controls last year, the SEI Contractors that priced the job were far dearer than my builders quote AFTER allowing for the grant I would get back.

Even in a recession, some of these firms need to learn some manners and reel their necks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

If it's for your parents, and they're over 65 you could try getting a grant from your local authority for essential work to the house, such as insulation, heating system etc. You will need a schedule of work to be carried out plus quotations from contractors. You can get up to 10k (or at least you could last year before the country's expenses went to pot altogether). Check with your county council and get a hold of your local councillor and make them work for you in getting something sorted for your parents. Best of luck with the endeavour.

Advertisement