Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Reading FA Cup (mod warning @ post 622)

• 13-01-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

art_reading_fa.jpg

Reds return to action tonight after an eleven day respite. Hopefully we can get the job down this town. We Fell asleep after the break in the drawn game and am looking for a positive display from the lads tonight.
    Kick off at 19.45. live on ITV1

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool will need to play better tonight than in the first game. I expect Reading to be really up for this again as they were last time. Hopefully though home advantage will see a relatively straightforward win, although a closer tie would not surprise too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll be watching from behind the sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is it on ITV/BBC ? or non premium channel at least ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes in the week that was im just hoping the boys dont get too distracted. there is some postive talk from players that they want to win this competition this year and its been awhile since we won this and were we to win it would put joint third in all times winners. As it stands United lead with 11, Arsenal have 10, with spurs on 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

ts been awhile since we won this anything
    FYP :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Reading 14/1 I might have an ould tenner on that for the craic. :D

kida wrote: »
    FYP :p
    yeah 2005 (champion league) and 2006 (FA cup_ seems like an age ago ;)

deisedevil wrote: »
    Reading 14/1 I might have an ould tenner on that for the craic. :D

to get thru? or win in 90? fancy them on pens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

yeah 2005 seems like an age ago ;)

If it is since we won anything, then 2006 in this very competition. :p

We won some other cup in 2005.......................:)

• Advertisement

Safe to say you lads wont be doing the analysis over on UTV tonight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You misspelled 'Mickey Mouse Cup' in the OP, please amend :pac:

pfffff, FA Cup..........

8/1 to qualify for next round, actually that's much better thinking about it.

Dave! wrote: »
    You misspelled 'Mickey Mouse Cup' in the OP, please amend :pac:

pfffff, FA Cup..........
    One thing for sure is we never pulled out of the competition to play in another mickey mouse cup. :D

Ya cause Reading have no chance of a draw now do they? ;)

Ya cause Reading have no chance of a draw now do they? ;)
    They had their chance. Tell you what. If Reading get through this I wont post for a full day. :D

They had their chance. Tell you what. If Reading get through this I wont post for a full day. :D

Lol, I think your safe enough!

Lol, I think your safe enough!
    very safe ;)
    rafa-benitez_1388236c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Thats right they'll be busy deciding what to do with there winnings:pac:

2-1 Home win but I think it'll go to extra time

Rafa will be keen to have this game wrapped up quickly. Remember we have that midweek game with spurs next week and Stoke away this saturday. So he will be wanting to give his big players a rest by the 60 minute mark or so.

• Advertisement

Rafa will be keen to have this game wrapped up quickly. Remember we have that midweek game with spurs next week and Stoke away this saturday. So he will be wanting to give his big players a rest by the 60 minute mark or so.
    He can't rest them if your losing/drawing after 60 min because this is his best chance at a cup this year

He can't rest them if your losing/drawing after 60 min because this is his best chance at a cup this year
    Indeed but champions league is our priority.

You think it will go to Extra time but think that Reading at 8/1 to go through is impossible, bit odd.

Like I said, there aint much hope of it happening.

You think it will go to Extra time but think that Reading at 8/1 to go through is impossible, bit odd.

Like I said, there aint much hope of it happening.
    Oh its definetly possible for reading to win I didn't mean that I just think that Liverpool at home over 120 min will be a step to far but they definetly do have a chance it's great odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

The boys are back in town? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Phil Lynott was a red! (wrong red)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Indeed but champions league is our priority.

Winning is our priority TBH - every bloomin' game.

I would not be able to understand wanting to have this 'done and dusted' to rest players. Its a must win match, as much as Stoke or Spurs.

To calm supporters, for team morale, to ease pressure of Benitez from the board etc etc

We NEED a good cup run, and IMO it doesn't come second to league games, its on a par this season.

Winning is our priority TBH - every bloomin' game.

I would not be able to understand wanting to have this 'done and dusted' to rest players. Its a must win match, as much as Stoke or Spurs.

To calm supporters, for team morale, to ease pressure of Benitez from the board etc etc

We NEED a good cup run, and IMO it doesn't come second to league games, its on a par this season.
    What im saying is that three games inside a week will obviously take its toll so the quicker rafa can rest his players the better especially given that Torres is still struggling with injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Reading 1-0

• Advertisement

what the fVck does that mean? are we not allowed suggest the mightly pool may not get thru? Ridicuous comment.:o

what the fVck does that mean? are we not allowed suggest the mightly pool may not get thru? Ridicuous comment.:o
    yes but dont forget the game is at anfield. They are not 14-1 for nothing. And to up the ante I wont post for two days (on soccer boards) if we lose. fair enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I agree with you, seemingly you aren't make any kind of negative post about Liverpool around here anymore, without some fanboy getting uppity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

yes but dont forget the game is at anfield. They are not 14-1 for nothing. And to up the ante I wont post for two days (on soccer boards) if we lose. fair enough?
    if the odds are 14-1 i reckon you should take 14 days off, its only fair on everybody else!

Des wrote: »
    I agree with you, seemingly you aren't make any kind of negative post about Liverpool around here anymore, without some fanboy getting uppity.

getting fVckign ridiculous - I was discussing the value of the price of Reading winning/getting through and get jumped on like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Im going to go out on a limb here boys and forecast a right drubbing for reading

Liverpool 5 (maybe 6) - Reading 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭SteM

So he will be wanting to give his big players a rest by the 60 minute mark or so.

I'm sure that's what Ferguson was thinking against Leeds.....

SteM wrote: »
    I'm sure that's what Ferguson was thinking against Leeds.....
    Okay.... I just think that we are just going get whalloped tonight. Just have a really bad feeling about this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I've felt its always been like that.

Jesus des put on your sheepskin. Who says anyone was getting uppity. Anyway would be nice to see Pacheco getting a run at some stage tonight.

Jesus des put on your sheepskin. Who says anyone was getting uppity. Anyway would be nice to see Pacheco getting a run at some stage tonight.

Would be nice to see him get a run out alright - he's progressing nicely.

I don't see him getting much of a run, if at all, until the game is pretty much settled though.

I think he'd make a great impact player given the chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reina

Darby
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Insua

Lucas
    Aquilani

----Babel
    Gerrard
    Benayoun

Torres

With N’Gog and Pacheco hopefully getting run-outs.

It’s been 10 days since our last game so I think the big players need to play ahead of what will no doubt be a tough game away to Stoke.

Reina

Darby
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Insua

Lucas
    Aquilani

----Babel
    Gerrard
    Benayoun

Torres

It’s been 10 days since our last game so I think the big players need to play ahead of what will no doubt be a tough game away to Stoke.
    Not sure if Skrtel will start. Still seems a bit unsure of himself. Re lucas noticed Rafa playing in front of the back four in drawn game for a lot of the second half so will be curious to see if he reprises that role tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

-

Love to see Pacheco starting along with Torres tonight, it wont happen, but would be nice too see.

Not sure if Skrtel will start. Still seems a bit unsure of himself. Re lucas noticed Rafa playing in front of the back four in drawn game for a lot of the second half so will be curious to see if he reprises that role tonight.

Skrtel should be the first name on the sheet tonight imo. He’s not getting enough game-time – yes he’s been poor this season and is short of confidence, but we all know what a good defender he is and he’s someone we need to commit to the club for years to come, not leave in the summer because of lack of opportunities. At a minimum, I think he should start all FA cup and Europa league matches

Skrtel should be the first name on the sheet tonight imo. He’s not getting enough game-time – yes he’s been poor this season and is short of confidence, but we all know what a good defender he is and he’s someone we need to commit to the club for years to come, not leave in the summer because of lack of opportunities. At a minimum, I think he should start all FA cup and Europa league matches
    Point was made on LFC that Carra is more comfortable playing alongside Agger than Skrtel. Would you agree?

Point was made on LFC that Carra is more comfortable playing alongside Agger than Skrtel. Would you agree?

No. In the 18 months after Skrtel came in the two of them did great together, we had a solid defense the last two seasons.

Carragher doesn’t look comfortable playing with anyone this season. I think Agger has generally done well. He and Skrtel are our two best defenders so I think they need a run together, sooner rather than later. Next season I think Carra will have to resign himself to a Hyppia-type role.

No. In the 18 months after Skrtel came in the two of them did great together, we had a solid defense the last two seasons.

Carragher doesn’t look comfortable playing with anyone this season. I think Agger has generally done well. He and Skrtel are our two best defenders so I think they need a run together, sooner rather than later. Next season I think Carra will have to resign himself to a Hyppia-type role.
    Meaning that Kelly or Darby will come in for Carra over a phased period of time?

Meaning that Kelly or Darby will come in for Carra over a phased period of time?

Darby is a right back.
    Kelly will probably be a centre-back eventually, and a very good one too.

Carra & 'comfortable playing' shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence this season TBH.

When I see Carra & Skrtel on the team sheet starting, I'm waiting for an accident to happen.

Carra & 'comfortable playing' shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence this season TBH.

When I see Carra & Skrtel on the team sheet starting, I'm waiting for an accident to happen.
    sign of a good player when you suddenly see mistakes creeping into his play (not having a pop at you by the way) . Has hardly put a foot wrong up until this season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement