Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Reading FA Cup (mod warning @ post 622)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Kelly will probably be a centre-back eventually, and a very good one too.

Only a bad injury will prevent this, the guy is a talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

sign of a good player when you suddenly see mistakes creeping into his play (not having a pop at you by the way). Has hardly put a foot wrong up until this season.

I totally agree. Its just when I see arguably the leagues top centre half suddenly playing like he's never played that position before - I get VERY concerned as to where his head is at.

But in fairness, its not that you 'suddenly see mistakes creeping in' either - he's making absolute howlers. Big bloomin difference.

Edit**

BTW - Kelly - he's gonna be a regular first team player for years. Havent seen a player of his quality come through since Carra or Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I totally agree. Its just when I see arguably the leagues top centre half suddenly playing like he's never played that position before - I get VERY concerned as to where his head is at.

But in fairness, its not that you 'suddenly see mistakes creeping in' either - he's making absolute howlers. Big bloomin difference.

i think there was maybe a year/18 months around 2005 and 2006 when he might have had a claim to that, but certainly not in the last 3/4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

i think there was maybe a year/18 months around 2005 and 2006 when he might have had a claim to that, but certainly not in the last 3/4 years

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one so. Carra has been the most solid CB in the prem for a good few seasons now IMO. This season is a massive blip on bloody good career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Des wrote: »
    I agree with you, seemingly you aren't make any kind of negative post about Liverpool around here anymore, without some fanboy getting uppity.
    kida wrote: »
    getting fVckign ridiculous - I was discussing the value of the price of Reading winning/getting through and get jumped on like this.

it's a loud, but small all the same, minority at this stage.

it's the same in every club forum on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On Carra being most comfortable with...

Would definately go with Agger, as you have a natural left and right sided partnership, both players have played the vast majority of their careers on their respective sides, whereas with Carra and Skrtel (both right sided CB's) one of them is a little out of their comfort zone.

Having said that, with Carra's lack of form, Skrtel is the more likely one to be behind him to mop up. In general though, i'd favour Agger as a partner for carra.

Martin Kelly has the potential to be a huge player for us in the future.

Carragher is going to be playing the Hyypia role very soon, but not as well, since he can't really read the game too well.

Agger and Skrtel need to be tried as the 1st choice partnership sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

sign of a good player when you suddenly see mistakes creeping into his play (not having a pop at you by the way) . Has hardly put a foot wrong up until this season.

What? Carra has been steadily becoming more error prone over the last few seasons. He has been a great servent to the club, but has been losing bits of his game for a time now.

It is no disrespect to Carra though as time catches up with all players.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Martin Kelly has the potential to be a huge player for us in the future.

Carragher is going to be playing the Hyypia role very soon, but not as well, since he can't really read the game too well.

Agger and Skrtel need to be tried as the 1st choice partnership sooner or later.

Could not see Carragher ever taking on the Hyypia role. I would doubt that he could go weeks without playing, and still be able to just slot in at short notice and play well. I also think that he would not bring the same level of calm that Sami seemed to exude, let alone a fraction of the big Finn's ability to read the game.

Sami was one of a kind in that he was a top class centreback who was willing to take a backseat for as long as he did. Just watching him play so well now in Germany is just a sad reminder that he still had plenty to offer us both on and off the pitch. Was just a shame that things did not work out in a way that we could have gotten him for another season or two.

I would imagine that when Carragher stops being a regular first teamer, his time in the playing side of the game will end pretrty quickly afterwards unlike with Sami.

• Advertisement

sign of a good player when you suddenly see mistakes creeping into his play (not having a pop at you by the way) . Has hardly put a foot wrong up until this season.

this just isn't true.

he's been on a steady decline for 2/3 seasons now.

and it's been more steep this season.

his game is based on reacting quickly to danger with last minute interceptions and tackles. as soon as he loses his pace and reaction speed he'll be a shadow of the defender he once was.

i don't see him being as good as Sami was in his old age. :)

starting tonight I'd like to see us try something a bit different, like putting Agger and Skrtel together, or throwing Kelly in there if he's fit.

kida wrote: »
    getting fVckign ridiculous - I was discussing the value of the price of Reading winning/getting through and get jumped on like this.

Chill Kida. Go make the bet. If you win you will be quids in and happy.

If you lose the bet, well no skin off of your nose. The odds are pretty good when you consider that Liverpool have been very inconsistent this season.

Me? I am hoping you lose the bet, but only because I want a Liverpool win.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Des wrote: »
    I agree with you, seemingly you aren't make any kind of negative post about Liverpool around here anymore, without some fanboy getting uppity.

Brilliant levelheaded impartiality as always Des, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Okay, here is what I expect to see this evening. A high tempo scrappy game with little quality football played. A piece of magic from either Gerrard or Torres to separate the teams leaving Liverpool scraping through by a goal when the final whistle blows. Their narrow victory will be helped by one or two quality saves from Reina saving the blushes of our shambolic defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Stolen rumoured team from an ITK who has proven reliable in the past.

Cavilleri
    --Degen--Carra--Agger--Insua--
    Lucas-Aquilani
    -Kuyt
    Gerrard----Benayoun-
    Torres

Subs: Spearing,???????????????
    No Darby on subs bench

Cant vouch for it's accuracy but definately looks feasible.

Wonder what it means in terms of the RB Degen situation.
    Will be interesting to see who makes the bench
    At a guess I'd go for.

Reina, Spearing, Skrtel, N'gog, Aurelio, Babel, Pacheco,

Might see Gulacsi on the subs bench if Pepe has been given the night off.
    Think the game might be too soon for Riera to feature.

Just for clarity - Kelly, El Zhar and Johnson are all still on the injured list and Masch is serving the last game of his ban.

On Carra - I really can't see him ever managing a similar transition out of the team to what Hyypia managed. Would agree with Kess73 that he is the sort who needs to be playing every week. I'm still hopeful Sami might return in a coaching capacity. He left on pretty decent terms - pretty much said that he needed to be playing regularly at his age and he understood that wasn't going to happen at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

looking forward to seeing a bit more of degen if that team is real.

i can also see this being 3 or 4 nil with a torres hatrick:D:D:D

forever the optimist:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Backing 1-1 draw in the 90 at 9/1!

on carra there was an interview with him a couple of months ago a couple of things i remember was him saying the only way he would leave liverpool would be if he was becoming a liabilty and it was the best interest of the club or something along those lines.

the other thing that i remember him saying is in all his time at the club no other club has ever put in a bid to sign him, he said he didnt no what way to take it, but decided to take it that everyone knew liverpool was the only club and wasnt interested in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

redzerdrog wrote: »
    on carra there was an interview with him a couple of months ago a couple of things i remember was him saying the only way he would leave liverpool would be if he was becoming a liabilty and it was the best interest of the club or something along those lines.

the other thing that i remember him saying is in all his time at the club no other club has ever put in a bid to sign him, he said he didnt no what way to take it, but decided to take it that everyone knew liverpool was the only club and wasnt interested in others.

that contradicts what he said in his autobiography - that he'd have no problem leaving Liverpool if he was ever not in the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

that contradicts what he said in his autobiography - that he'd have no problem leaving Liverpool if he was ever not in the team
    Yes think he has said that first team football is important for him. But he wouldnt sign for any of our big rivals.

• Advertisement

looking forward to seeing a bit more of degen if that team is real.

i can also see this being 3 or 4 nil with a torres hatrick:D:D:D

forever the optimist:o

Getting to the stage where he's nearly due another one -didn't get any last season and only one so far this season. Useless fecker.:p

So far at Liverpool Fernando has scored 4 hat-tricks and in addition to this has scored 2 goals in 9 games.

104 games 62 goals :D

I think it was an interview in the at the end of november/start of dec because i was over there at the time and remember reading it. cant remember if was the echo or one of the lfc magazine things tbh.

i think it means more or less the same thing tbh if he not in the team then it might well be the best interest of the club.

it was the other thing that i found funny the part were no club has bid for him ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I hope Pacheco is giving some game time tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The IKN strikes again (almost!)

My formation guess.

Cavalieri
    Degen-Carra-Agger-Insua
    Aquilani-Lucas
    Kuyt--Gerrard--Benayoun
    Torres

Subs: Gulacsi, Aurelio, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Skrtel, Pacheco.

Liverpool: Cavalieri, Degen, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Aquilani, Lucas, Benayoun, Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres.
    Subs: Aurelio, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Skrtel, Gulacsi, Pacheco.

momentomori was right with the team

really hoping for a good performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I hope we finish them off early so Pacheco can get run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Stolen rumoured team from an ITK who has proven reliable in the past.

Cavilleri
    --Degen--Carra--Agger--Insua--
    Lucas-Aquilani
    -Kuyt
    Gerrard----Benayoun-
    Torres

Subs: Spearing,???????????????
    No Darby on subs bench

Cant vouch for it's accuracy but definately looks feasible.

Wonder what it means in terms of the RB Degen situation.
    Will be interesting to see who makes the bench
    At a guess I'd go for.

Reina, Spearing, Skrtel, N'gog, Aurelio, Babel, Pacheco,

Might see Gulacsi on the subs bench if Pepe has been given the night off.
    Think the game might be too soon for Riera to feature.

Do you know Rafa personally or something?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    he knows someone in there. Maxi has signed by the way. its officially. Three year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

he knows someone in there. Maxi has signed by the way. its officially. Three year contract.

Maybe he won't have to go back to Madrid now since the deal has been finalised.

Liverpool: Cavalieri, Degen, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Aquilani, Lucas, Benayoun, Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres.
    Subs: Aurelio, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Skrtel, Gulacsi, Pacheco.

momentomori was right with the team

really hoping for a good performance
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Actually I can exclusively reveal that I am Rafa Benitez:p

Nah - I just "stole/copied" the team from an ITK on another site.

Guessed that Gulacsi might get a shot on the bench after Rafa's comments about the young lads yesterday. The bench pretty much picked itself given the injury situation, with Krygiakos the only one who could be said to be missing out.
    Jako8 wrote: »
    I hope we finish them off early so Pacheco can get run.

Yup me too - also with Riera back training and Maxi arriving, I would expect his spot on the bench to be a bit under threat.

• Advertisement

Actually I can exclusively reveal that I am Rafa Benitez:p

Nah - I just "stole/copied" the team from an ITK on another site.

Guessed that Gulacsi might get a shot on the bench after Rafa's comments about the young lads yesterday. The bench pretty much picked itself given the injury situation, with Krygiakos the only one who could be said to be missing out.

Yup me too - also with Riera back training and Maxi arriving, I would expect his spot on the bench to be a bit under threat.
    how is it ITK has before Liverpool website. Btw Gerrard to star up front alongside Torres. 4-4-2 formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

how is it ITK has before Liverpool website. Btw Gerrard to star up front alongside Torres. 4-4-2 formation.

i presume they work in anfield or now a member of staff who is privy to the team. the players/staff know well before sky sports or the lfc website announces it

rosco's ITK consistently has the team before the website too. All about who you know i guess!

Would expect gerrard to be playing in the hole in a bit of a 4-4-1-1 rather then right up top, maybe even drifting in behind Aquilani at times allowing him to get up in support.

All in all a very attacking team, attacking fullbacks with very attacking options on the bench. I'm gonna put a bet on this game to have 3+ goals. As much as we have the firepower to score a few, we also have defensive frailties to concede a few.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    rosco's ITK consistently has the team before the website too. All about who you know i guess!

Would expect gerrard to be playing in the hole in a bit of a 4-4-1-1 rather then right up top, maybe even drifting in behind Aquilani at times allowing him to get up in support.

All in all a very attacking team, attacking fullbacks with very attacking options on the bench. I'm gonna put a bet on this game to have 3+ goals. As much as we have the firepower to score a few, we also have defensive frailties to concede a few.
    website has it down as a 4-4-2 formation on their team sheet but yeah say Gerrard will drop behind Torres. No change for Reading in starting eleven

i think the formation might be something like

cav

degen
    carra
    agger
    insua

lucas

aquilani

kuyt
    gerrard
    yossi

torres

thats just my guess:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Would love to see Lucas get a goal. I think the team would be ****ing delighted for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He has scored in every competiton now I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I posted it before a certain momento anywayz http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63978258&postcount=15138

awww yea

thats why you're the Mayor :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ye have started off well

Few empty spaces though at anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Reading are really going in hard into the tackles

Claims for a penalty there?

Hehe on the ITV coverage just now "Looks like he is really enjoying himself out there now is Peter Aquilani." :D

What a let off for Liverpool.

If any other player had done that Carragher would have been roaring at them.

• Advertisement

Carra? Wtf?

what was carra up to there?

What the fuck was carra doing letting that run through!?!?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Let off for Pool there. What the hell was Carragher up to?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

blessed

• Advertisement
Advertisement