Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphical Representation of December 2009 - January 2010 Cold Spell

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Met Eireann,

According to our Department of Tax and Customs (Revenue) Ireland was essentially covered in snow from January to June 1947.

"It was not just a white Christmas, it was a white Ireland from January to June 1947."

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/history/1941-1949.html

Could you confirm that, or are they exagerrating a tad??? I favour the latter, but I could be wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

snow ghost wrote: »
    "It was not just a white Christmas, it was a white Ireland from January to June 1947."

I heard something similar on the radio last week - apparently last of the snow cleared in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I heard something similar on the radio last week - apparently last of the snow cleared in May.

Apparently the UK (which I presume also refered to the North) had a thaw that melted all their snow in March??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

And does "normal" refer to the 61-90 period?

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

snow ghost wrote: »
    Met Eireann,

According to our Department of Tax and Customs (Revenue) Ireland was essentially covered in snow from January to June 1947.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/history/1941-1949.html

Could you confirm that, or are they exagerrating a tad??? I favour the latter, but I could be wrong. :)
    Concerning snow in 1947, the mean monthly temperatures for our stations between April and June were around normal, so it is very unlikely that there much snow beyond March except on high ground.
    Su Campu wrote: »
    And does "normal" refer to the 61-90 period?
    The Phoenix Park averages used were for the period 1951-80, which was around the middle of the years shown- the same averages apply to each chart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This winter so far then is modest enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

So why did RTE keep talking about this cold being a 1 in 50 year event? Looks like this happens every 20 years or so...

Advertisement