Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communes and Communities - Request

Options
  • 13-01-2010 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

After a year of self analysis, I quit my job to try and contribute to something, find a purpose and pursue my gifts and talents.

Does anyone know of any communes or communities in Ireland, preferably ones without specific religious ties, where a guy can drift in, play some guitar, do a bit of healing, maybe offer some arts workshops and generally get involved - and most importantly, learn something?

I am prepared to travel anywhere on this island and I have my own tent :)

I hope someone can help.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

how about the shell to sea crowd in erris

I hope you can get a decent response to this here, as I can't think of another forum on boards that it'd be more suitable too.

I'll copy your first post to the Volunteerism forum, somebody might be able to help you there, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

Id recommend checking out local anarchist groups. Things like the WSM maybe? Depending obviously on whether you want urban or rural living you may have more or less success with them. Im sure there must be some collectives or co-operatives and stuff operating in Dublin, community gardens and the like, where you could go along and chat to people who are involved in that kind of thing. Should make some contacts that way anyway

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism_in_Ireland
    Think you may have better luck over in the UK too. Im over here at the moment and ive met a few people squatting and there's the whole "climate camp" movement as well. I am in Brighton mind you, which has a bit of a reputation as having a fairly radical student/young population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Inter

Thanks for your suggestions so far, I'll check 'em out.

Rural is kinda what I was hoping for. I've visited one in Wales which impressed em a lot, but I don't want to leave Ireland for this - it would kinda defeat my purpose, I'm afraid.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LazyFecker

Only thing that i could think of is if you try the diggers and dreamers website. http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk/
    Another option actually thats out there that isnt communal living, but something similar is wwoofing...
    And another thing which may not at all be suitable is going down and camping in cloughjordan for a while. Then again it is just an eco-village rather than anything else, so like any other village they may not like it too much to have a randomer turn up and pitch a tent.

Just some things to think about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Inter

Thanks for the additional information, Cloughjordan looks promising, as does some of the stuff on WWOOF.

Anyone know of arts festivals other than Galway and Kilkenny that will allow a busker to roam in unannounced? I'm thinking lots of towns and villages all over the country will be having festivals throughout the summer. Any ideas?

Thank you all again for your help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=G2w&q=+busking+festival+Ireland&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Did Clonakilty years ago, was handy. Got a gig in a Pub for the evenings. It was full of "crusties" not really sure of the scene anymore.

Advertisement