Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

03 Hyundai Accent?

• 13-01-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi was looking at one of these - 1 owner from new advertised at 3.25K has 80K on clock - Condition looks pristine and timing belt and tyres are new.....

Keep getting conflicting opinions on them them though?

Are they a no nonsense Plain Jane bargain or a potential liability, especially with 80K run up?

- The Missus had bad luck with last car so need to get some trouble free years out of this next purchase :(

Was considering a Seat Cordoba but have since heard the timing chain implodes if you don't change the oil every second week! Also last car was a Polo which proved to be less than reliable and am not sure what's shared on that platform etc.

Any advice appreciated & If you have any alternatives cars or opinions I'd be grateful!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't pay more than €2-2.5k if it's a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Is it 2.5K well spent though? Are we better off hanging on for an alternative?

Would for example a 00 Corolla with 80K that seemed to have been cared for be a better bet?

- The yoke is as ugly as sin, could only justify it if it was going to be a good gamble at getting a reliable and stress free car :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

About 3.24 k too much IMO.

But have a read of this before looking at it. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=152

they're a good simple car, just make sure everything electric works, that all the keys work and that the engine light doesn't come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

As colm says, they're a simple car - nothing really goes wrong with them. The coil pack and plug leads can give trouble but this isn't a common occurance.
    Depreciation is not kind to them either - bear this in mind. If you really like it, go for it, but haggle hard!

• Advertisement

re: depreciation, they were only €14000 new so a Golf 1.4 would have been €8000 more.

What's an 03 golf 1.4 worth? €5k?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Raiser wrote: »
    Hi was looking at one of these - 1 owner from new advertised at 3.25K has 80K on clock - Condition looks pristine and timing belt and tyres are new.....

Keep getting conflicting opinions on them them though?

Are they a no nonsense Plain Jane bargain or a potential liability, especially with 80K run up?

- The Missus had bad luck with last car so need to get some trouble free years out of this next purchase :(

Was considering a Seat Cordoba but have since heard the timing chain implodes if you don't change the oil every second week! Also last car was a Polo which proved to be less than reliable and am not sure what's shared on that platform etc.

Any advice appreciated & If you have any alternatives cars or opinions I'd be grateful!!!

I drive a 01 and honestly (and having worked for Hyundai) for reliabilty they cant be beaten.Just dont expect to win any races or prizes for looks and you`ll be happy.

Air flow sensors give a bit of trouble but a quick blast of carb cleaner will sort that out.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    re: depreciation, they were only €14000 new so a Golf 1.4 would have been €8000 more.

What's an 03 golf 1.4 worth? €5k?

Good point but there's still badge snobbery seeing the golf holding a bit more of it's value. I was referring to when the op goes to sell it on - how many people will be looking for a 100k+ Accent over a Golf?

Thanks Folks - seems like an ok car so..... And no concerns about the 80K once there's evidence of regular servicing and a bit of care taken?

- As for depreciation, the hope is to buy a solid car and keep it running trouble free for as long as possible. Hopefully the 2.5K will buy 8-10 years of motoring!

I've seen the older shape up on 150k so you shouldn't have any major worries!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I've seen the older shape up on 150k so you shouldn't have any major worries!

Ive seen one used as a taxi with 250k on it and probably another 250k left on it :D:D

Good point but there's still badge snobbery seeing the golf holding a bit more of it's value. I was referring to when the op goes to sell it on - how many people will be looking for a 100k+ Accent over a Golf?
    The other way of looking at it that the Accent lost €11.5k and the Golf lost €18000 over 7 years.

I'm not saying the Accent is any way as refined or even as big as a Golf, but you have to pay so much more to start with.

Thanks for all the replies Folks - If viewing and a test drive goes well then I'll make him an offer a lot closer to 2K than his advertised price ;)

Advertisement