Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Mint - hardcode DNS

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

recent convert to Linux here.

I have a USB dongle for internet, and sometimes I have connectivity, sometimes not.

The "sometimes not" scenarios seem to be lacking a DNS primary & secondary server. Thus, I am technically connected to my providor, it says "connected" but I have no internet connectivity.

Is there a way I can hardcode the Wireless Broadband connection to a particular DNS, even OpenDNS would do.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

There's probably a nice UI to do it but you can do it just as quickly from the console:
    sudo vim /etc/resolv.conf

Enter the DNS servers, each on a new line. Save. I've specified vim as the editor there but use whatever's best for you, like nano or pico.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Here's what mine looks like (for opendns):

# Generated by dhcpcd for interface eth0
    nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

OK a few issues I had after trying the above

I was not able to edit the resolv.config file from my user account. Insufficient privilages. I thought I had given the user all of the rights, guess not.

So I logged in as root, and edited the file from there. However after rebooting, the file reverted back to its original, which was simply #Generated by NetworkManager, with nothing else.

I am able to connect no probs from windoze, so its definitely some configuration problem.

I can send attach screenshots of the Wireless Broadband setting if it may help.

I am also questioning my user privilages, and wondering if this has something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I just remembered that this was going to happen to you, then I see that it has. :)

So firstly, on the permissions thing. You'll find that your user account can't edit *any* files that are in /etc and that's a good thing. If you want to edit them, switch to root (or use sudo), make a backup, then fire ahead.

To change to using openDns try this link. It's for ubuntu but will be fine for mint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

try changing youre modem dns, might be easier

Advertisement