Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share your hikes/walks in GPS. Everytrail.com

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all,

http://www.everytrail.com/browse.php?country=Ireland

A very useful site for those of you that use GPS for tracking your hikes, runs, wallks, cycles, etc. I use it for uploading and downloading tracks and routes in GPX format, and sharing photos of hikes etc. A very handy tool if you are planning a hike on a mountains you've never done before, you can download someones elses track and waypoints, and follow them. Or when you have done a walk, upload your walk in gpx, share some photos and advice etc.

Check it out, would be great to get a good database of walks/hikes in GPS built u for Ireland. Ive uploaded a good few hikes in and around Waterford (Commeraghs, Galtees, Knockmealdowns, Slievenamon). If anyone has data for Kerry and Wicklow especially, be great to see it!!!

Enjoy

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was thinking of suggesting something similar, but just like a stickey thread where people can put up walks they've done with descriptions,grid references etc and maybe a picture of the map/route or just pictures from the day. That way we'd all have a pretty good database of routes long and short that people could do whether it be for MS or just recreation or whatever. Would be perfect if you were heading to an area you didnt know and wanted ideas. What ye reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was thinking of suggesting something similar, but just like a stickey thread where people can put up walks they've done with descriptions,grid references etc and maybe a picture of the map/route or just pictures from the day. That way we'd all have a pretty good database of routes long and short that people could do whether it be for MS or just recreation or whatever. Would be perfect if you were heading to an area you didnt know and wanted ideas. What ye reckon?

Not a bad idea at all. Prior to going on a walk, I tend to trawl the internet for nuggets of information or route suggestions.

A site I use often is www.mountainviews.ie, loads of useful info there on summit bagging. It's creator, Simon Stewart, has quite a lot of hillwalking info on the net.

I am involved myself in a new website called www.walkingandhikingireland.com, something of an online collaborative site which intends to carry routes, photos etc. If anyone on here would like to share routes, reports, photos etc., let me know and I can have them setup with a login to do so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grumpygit

I have been using http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/home.do which alows you upload with 6 photos and also puts your tracks up on google earth. It has a searchable database which I find handy

Advertisement