Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Autechre album

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Broke at the moment but sorely tempted by the vinyl/download option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If you pre-order they don't charge until shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

My broke situation isn't going to change between now and then unfortunately.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Mixed thoughts on this - I have still only listened to the last album maybe three times at most and didn't really get into to it, I should give it another shot though.

Also broke but may still pre order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

What did you folks think of "Quaristice"? I'm not sure what I think of it overall but some of it is woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

What did you folks think of "Quaristice"? I'm not sure what I think of it overall but some of it is woeful.

I think it's a grower. Unfortunately, that was the first Autechre album I got, but I stuck with it 'cause I had heard people raving about them, and it grew on me. But it's definitely 'thinking music'... I'm not gonna start nodding my head along to Parallel Suns, but I really enjoy hearing it.

I think if you track Autechre's progress they peaked with Confield. Up until then, every album they released was a progression from the last one. Confield is still my favourite album. I think they realised this too, and have been mucking about ever since. None of the albums since Confield has grabbed me in quite the same way that the rest before it have. I must go back and listen to Draft 7.30 though.

Incunabula is my favourite, hard to rank the others after that.

I'm gonna give Quaristice another shot over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd like to hear some samples from the new album before investing, have been very underwhelmed with their output of recent years.

Draft 7.30 has some smashing stuff on it but there's a fair amount of technerdery going on there too.

I'm glad there are people taking apart vintage synth sounds and putting them back together in fascinating new ways or messing with generative software and plugging the results into sequencers - I just don't always want to hear them doing it. I think of Autechre these days as researchers - audio scientists, almost. Sometimes the results of their experiments are accessible and enjoyable to me; sometimes I feel like I'm listening to someone rummaging around in a cupboard.
    penexpers wrote: »
    I think if you track Autechre's progress they peaked with Confield. Up until then, every album they released was a progression from the last one. Confield is still my favourite album. I think they realised this too, and have been mucking about ever since. None of the albums since Confield has grabbed me in quite the same way that the rest before it have. I must go back and listen to Draft 7.30 though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sometimes the results of their experiments are accessible and enjoyable to me; sometimes I feel like I'm listening to someone rummaging around in a cupboard.

Great analogy! agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

As posted on the Dance and Electronic Music Board yesterday-

Autechre + Rob Hall. Button Factory, Dublin. Friday April 23rd.

Hoorah!

As posted on the Dance and Electronic Music Board yesterday-

Autechre + Rob Hall. Button Factory, Dublin. Friday April 23rd.

Hoorah!

Yes, and from what I've heard the new album is supposed to be stunning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

I've heard the new album - good but not stunning.

theUbiq wrote: »
    I've heard the new album - good but not stunning.

Did you hear it once or has it had a few spins? The person that said it to me said it was one that really grew on him after a few listens and became stunning - all a matter of individual opinion of course but until now he was the only person I had heard comments about it from!

Is it completely different to any other material? Can you compare it to any of their other albums? Etc?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

I had one listen straight through so maybe it will grow on me...

It doesn't sound like Quaristice; probably more like Draft 7.30 or Untilted although more organic sounding. Seems to be a lot of bell type sounds and more pad type sounds... sounds less mathematical and more melodic, if you know what I mean. I'll listen some more over the weekend and post again... maybe I'll listen on headphones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I really like it so far. Not gonna say much until I give it a good listen but the second track is very nice.

Where did you both get it? Leaked somewhere or promos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah it's been leaked alright, theres also videos on youtube if you search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Sure that's not the hoax leak as documented here?
    From the guys behind the “fake” LP… The only purpose of this “leak” is nothing to do with trying to pass an album off as Autechre, it is targeting those who will only listen to something for plain aesthetic value rather than for its content, and taking the complete piss out of those people. The ones who for example would buy a 12″ with the sound of Aphex Twin’s bowel movements, just because its RDJ and not for its artistic merit.

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Sure that's not the hoax leak as documented here?

Well there are definitely promo copies out now so I'd imagine it's easy enough to pick up online somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lambrero

The new album is definitely a very interesting one. I would also say that the second track, "Ilanders", is up there with the best tracks they've ever done. Pure dark, futuristic, sci-fi epic ****. Like every autechre album it has great moments, and jarring moments, but then again it depends on what type of autechre material you are partial to. If you like their ambient sounds, there's definitely a lot on the album you'll dig....if you like their glitchy, confield/draft sound, there's a few moments but nowhere near as much as the last few releases. One thing is definite though - they've NEVER done an album like this, which is one thing that really puts them above the rest for me.....they constantly evolve and manage to bring you something the likes of which you've never heard before. I'd be prepared to be a bit perplexed the first time you sit through it, there's a LOT of string/bell/chimey/whatever melodies that are present throughout the whole album, along with a lot of epic ambience. It definitely starts to shine on repeated listens.....

And, just to reiterate: Ilanders is AWESOME :D

Lambrero wrote: »
    The new album is definitely a very interesting one. I would also say that the second track, "Ilanders", is up there with the best tracks they've ever done. Pure dark, futuristic, sci-fi epic ****. Like every autechre album it has great moments, and jarring moments, but then again it depends on what type of autechre material you are partial to. If you like their ambient sounds, there's definitely a lot on the album you'll dig....if you like their glitchy, confield/draft sound, there's a few moments but nowhere near as much as the last few releases. One thing is definite though - they've NEVER done an album like this, which is one thing that really puts them above the rest for me.....they constantly evolve and manage to bring you something the likes of which you've never heard before. I'd be prepared to be a bit perplexed the first time you sit through it, there's a LOT of string/bell/chimey/whatever melodies that are present throughout the whole album, along with a lot of epic ambience. It definitely starts to shine on repeated listens.....

And, just to reiterate: Ilanders is AWESOME :D

Sounds good... really looking forward to hearing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

really looking forward to hearing the new album myself , i wasn't really a fan of the last one , ep7 is still my favorite from them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Who's going to see them? I only saw they were playing after booking my CocoRosie tickets... I haven't really enjoyed what I've heard from the new album.

I plan to go, assuming there are still tickets available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'll go assuming my grant comes in soon... lul.

Well I had been planning to buy tickets since they came out but cash was too tight... have a little bit now so must invest!

heard one tune from oversteps today and loved it , went to pre order the album but the link wasnt working , i may try later .

• Advertisement

Got my tickets today which means I definitely get to go! Unlike many other gigs that I've missed the last while, most notably Convextion and Mick Chillage on Friday gone :(

Warp have released the mp3s early. Downloadable from Bleep now.

Sounding *amazing* on first listen.

Is it normal to charge more for 24 bit WAVs?

That really reveals the "digital/MP3 revolution" to be the industry rip-off that it is.

"Oversteps" sounds incredible, by the way.

In fairness to Warp, if you pre-order the CD you can download the MP3s for free right now. That's what I've done.

Looking forward to hearing it...

That really reveals the "digital/MP3 revolution" to be the industry rip-off that it is.

There's very few (if any) releases released in 24 bit WAV format. A CD is only 16 bit, for example. MP3s are usually only 16 bit too.

• Advertisement

I know, I'm familiar with the difference. My question is whether or not labels have any business charging extra for the higher bit rate.

The fact is, most recordings these days at this level are digitally mastered in the 24 bit realm and (if the mastering engineer knows what he's doing) only transferred to 16 bit at the very final stage. So why anyone should pay extra for the 24 bit masters is beyond me.
    There's very few (if any) releases released in 24 bit WAV format. A CD is only 16 bit, for example. MP3s are usually only 16 bit too.

Just to follow up on this - I think this is one of the best records Autechre have released in many years. It goes back to (for me) the great period of Amber - Tri Repetae - Chiastic Slide. It has the warmth and melodic accessibility of that stuff but it also has a very endearing wonkiness.

bought this album yesterday on my first listen and i like it so far. ilanders being my fave track .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

also been lovin this album. i agree that its their best in years. cant wait to see them at bloc.

did you get there mix for fact magazine theres a free download of it , its strange , mostly hip hop and glitch.

• Advertisement

Cool, didn't know you could get the digital download already when you order the CD/vinyl. Ordered and MP3 on the download, can't wait to hear it - I even resisted temptation to listen to any of the tracks on youtube.

I started to download the WAV but my crappy 3mb Eircom broadband is so feckin slow, it was going to take almost four hours to download :eek:

Well, one track in and I certainly can't say I'm disappointed! Sold already, can't wait for the gig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭lanyonwhites

Class album

Had a good few listens now and definitely a great album.

Two things strike me about it though...

1. It reminds me of various IDM type artists in more recent years who have been influenced by Autechre - say on the likes of labels such as Merck or Neo Ouija etc. So its kinda interesting to hear a new Autechre album that sounds like artists who had been influenced by Autechre - to me anyway, if ya catch my drift :o

2. Although its a great album, there are no real stand-out, hugely memorable tracks - not yet anyway for me, maybe it will take more listens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭keith downey

Loving this album for the past few days. A welcome return to form.

I do prefer their more melodic side so if your the same way inclined your in for a treat.

K

PS: anodyne is supporting the band in the Button Factory:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Here's the 12hr radio broadcast they did during the week.

http://rockinz.org/files/Autechre.w...002-03-2010.mp3

CaSCaDe711

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Not impressed with it, too much randomness again!

Loving this album for the past few days. A welcome return to form.

I do prefer their more melodic side so if your the same way inclined your in for a treat.

K

PS: anodyne is supporting the band in the Button Factory:)

what is anodyne like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Clash Magazine interview Ae opening with one of the worst first paragraphs I've ever read.....

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/autechre-interview

Oh dear.
    Clash Magazine interview Ae opening with one of the worst first paragraphs I've ever read.....

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/autechre-interview

• Advertisement
Advertisement