Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Test cars, ever seen one?

• 13-01-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I was on the M25 (London Orbital) on Monday night heading towards the Dartford tunnel when I saw a black car with all the badges taped up with black tape and tape running down the joins in the doors. It was a left hand drive, big beast and the outline of the badge made me think it was either an Aston Martin or Bentley.

Getting in front of it I knew it was a Bentley straight away when I saw the arrangements of the front lights and the straight nose on the car.

So I took the registration number and did a check today :)

GX09ASU

Registration GX09ASU
    Make BENTLEY
    Model UNKNOWN
    Description Not Available
    Fuel Type Petrol
    CO2 (g/km)* Not Available
    VRT % Rate ** Not Available

Chuffed I spotted it. I was a passenger in the car and took out my work cameraphone to try and get a shot but the driver saw me and put the foot to the floor...wow, can it move :D

Anyone know what Bentley it might have been?

Actually, a Google search says it may have been the new Arnage...looks like it might have been alright.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I haven't seen any myself but dont porsche test new cars around sligo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Anyone know what Bentley it might have been?

Actually, a Google search says it may have been the new Arnage...looks like it might have been alright.

Grand Bentley I reckon http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=1533

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Do they!? There was a piece in the local rag when they were testing a new car around Belmullet.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I saw 2 black cars, german registered and debadged, travelling together last year on the N59. Thought they were porsche's at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They do indeed and have done so for years

Cayman, new 911, new 911 cabrio and Panamera's have all been seen (but not photographed) on the roads by me before their official market release. All undisguised and on German number plates.
    Fellow Sligonian Slidey posted Panamera shots some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

True no one builds roads like us to test suspension settings out:D

Think Toyota used to test cars in Ireland too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I thought porsche had a unit in clifden where they store the cars while testing them in ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

barry81 wrote: »
    I thought porsche had a unit in clifden where they store the cars while testing them in ireland?

they may well have ...the N59 (Galway to Sligo coast road) is one of the worst national roads in the country ...ideal for testing I should think.

A run from Clifden to Sligo and back would probably provide suspension setup data for years to come :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

peasant wrote: »
    they may well have ...the N59 (Galway to Sligo coast road) is one of the worst national roads in the country ...ideal for testing I should think.

A run from Clifden to Sligo and back would probably provide suspension setup data for years to come :D

They test out there, my brother was working for a haulage company a few years and had to collect a container on a trailer near Clifden, it wasn't ready when he got there, it was still being loaded with a disguised 911 and load of spare wheels and testing equipment, he said even the tie down straps were Porsche branded:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dark-Mavis wrote: »
    True no one builds roads like us to test suspension settings out:D

they build roads here ?
    just thought they threw tar on the top of a bog ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I've passed a few VAG test groups in West Cork and Kerry, the most memorable was a group of VWs (including the then-unreleased Scirocco and MK6 Golf) coming off the Ballaghbeama Pass. And a group of Audis (including an A3-bodied mule) at the Avoca car park at the top of Moll's Gap, which were "testing rain sensitive wipers" but scarpered when we tok out our cameras... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

peasant wrote: »
    They do indeed and have done so for years

Cayman, new 911, new 911 cabrio and Panamera's have all been seen (but not photographed) on the roads by me before their official market release. All undisguised and on German number plates.
    Fellow Sligonian Slidey posted Panamera shots some time ago.

I did indeed.

He tried to drive over me when I was snapping them at a filling station

f_DSC00157m_56613fb.jpg

f_DSC00160m_2602b86.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

r3nu4l wrote: »
    . . .

Those are just the previously released spy pics of the New Bentley Mulsanne. . .that has since been launched. Maybe it was a variant of the Mulsanne?

Advertisement