Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car for driving test

• 13-01-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i need to do my test this year but im not too sure if i can use my own car to do it
    i have a C180 merc which has no handbrake, instead it has a parking brake with a pedal to activate and a handle to release
    can i use this car for the test as i know that you have to do hillstarts and i find it hard to take off on a hill without the car rolling back a little bit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Yes, once the system is not an after-market add-on (which in this case I dont believe it is) it is fully acceptable for the test.

BTW is your car a Manual Gearbox? I think that Merc system was really designed for Automatics and is a disaster in a manual car as you end up with 4 pedals, 2 feet :) and no handbrake :eek:.

The VW/Audi push-button handbrake is a much better solution IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Akasa

its a manual and as you said the four pedals are a disaster but its good to know that i dont have to find another car to do the test in

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It will be allowed, but you still can't roll back during your test. Could you not take out the clutch until the car tries to move forward, and then use the lever to release the handbrake? Just make sure you don't roll back - as far as I know it's an automatic Grade 2 fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Akasa wrote: »
    i need to do my test this year but im not too sure if i can use my own car to do it
    i have a C180 merc which has no handbrake, instead it has a parking brake with a pedal to activate and a handle to release
    can i use this car for the test as i know that you have to do hillstarts and i find it hard to take off on a hill without the car rolling back a little bit
    Just get the bite on the clutch and give it a bit of juice while easing up more on the clutch and pull the release handle.
    The clutch can be eased up better if you slide your heel backwards (dont take heel off floor)

Advertisement