Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business conversion courses

Options
  • 13-01-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm coming to the end of my B.A. International degree. I did Music Technology and French. I've more or less abandoned hope of working in the music sector, and I really enjoy French so would like a job where I can use my French. However a lot of the jobs that aren't call center related, and even a lot that are, request a business background also.

Can anyone recommend a good business conversion course (business management/finance/marketing...) to investigate? One that is aimed at graduates of a non-business degree.

The only one I've come across is Business management in DCU. Does anyone have any feedback about it?

Thanks

C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lobo1

Hi Cotsy,

I have been looking at post-grad business masters in UCDs Smurfit School. They have a Master in Management specifically for non-business grads, seems comprehensive enough and touches on all the major areas, might be worth a look / phone call if you're searching for options.
    (Just to note, I have never attended Smurfit so cannot vouch for any of the courses :))

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cotsy

Thanks Lobo,

So now were up to 2.
    1 in DCU & 1 in UCD.

DCU is a bit easier for me in terms of commuting.
    I've just noticed the fees of both too €9000 - €11,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Have a gawk at the courses funded last year under the Graduate Skills Conversion Programme - the fees are €2,000. As far as I know it's still running this year. They're mainly IT oriented but there's a handful of business courses in there. As far as I know they're all aimed at graduates with no prior experience of the subject area. A couple that might be of interest are the MSc in Electronic Commerce (Business) in DCU and the MSc in Business Analytics in UCD.

http://www.hea.ie/en/skills+funding

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

All courses under the Graduate Skills Conversion Programme are IT related, that is the purpose of the programme. They are designed to "convert" people to the IT industry.

That said there are EBusiness type programmes and the likes of the MSc in Business Analytics that offer a pathway into business, but not everyone would be suited to these.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Higher Diploma in Business Studies in Nuig specifically aimed for those that don't have a degree related to business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Hi Costy,

Glad to see you're entering the world of business.

As an arts gradute myself I had to do a lot of research to find which business masters would suit me best. I ended up doing the MSc in Marketing in DIT. It is a conversion course for non business graduates and it is fantastic. You really hit the ground running with an intense introduction to Finance and from then on it's a busy year, but you would expect that as there is a lot to learn in one year. Best decision I ever made tbh! It's so practical too so the transition to the workplace should not be as daunting as you think.

I also applied to the MSc in International Business in DIT and was accepted too. So while they may not be advertised as a conversion course, if you have any sort of practical knowledge (I had 3 years work experience) it may get in. Glad I want with Marketing though. :D

If outside Dublin I have a friend (also non business) who did the MSc in Marketing, Consumption & Society in Limerick and really enjoyed it.

Best of luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cotsy

Thanks guys, this broadens the options a lot, good to know.

Roro4Brit I'll defo read into them DIT courses, cheers.

Advertisement