Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burnley appoint Brian Laws as new manager

• 13-01-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

What do people think of this? I honestly believe Burnley will go down now. He was sacked by Wednesday in December, very surprised at this appointment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think that when Burnley were willing to let Coyle go so easily they had already accepted their fate. They obviously have their sights on rebuilding for next season if they are going to go with someone like Laws. I don't know much about him to be fair, but it seems he has a decent record despite the Wednesday sacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I think that when Burnley were willing to let Coyle go so easily they had already accepted their fate. They obviously have their sights on rebuilding for next season if they are going to go with someone like Laws. I don't know much about him to be fair, but it seems he has a decent record despite the Wednesday sacking.

He has a decent track record. He done wonders to keep Wednesday in the championship as the club has been in a dire financial state for quite a while now. He also achieved two promotions with Scunthorpe. He could surprise a few people. I hope Burnley stay up, they have been like a breath of fresh this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

He has a decent track record. He done wonders to keep Wednesday in the championship as the club has been in a dire financial state for quite a while now. He also achieved two promotions with Scunthorpe. He could surprise a few people. I hope Burnley stay up, they have been like a breath of fresh this year.

If i was a Burnley fan i wouldn't be happy at this stage of the season admitting relegation. Laws did well to keep Wednesday in the Championship but it it was looking a hard task this year with them in the relegation zone and all that. I think it will be too much of a leap for him. It seems to hint that there is simply not enough money at Burnley. I would of tried prise Sean O'Driscoll away from Doncaster myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dsmythy wrote: »
    I would of tried prise Sean O'Driscoll away from Doncaster myself.

Did O'Driscoll not spurn their advances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

£1m compesation wanted for O'Driscoll. Expecting a Dunphy article on the small mindedness of the people in charge for not letting him leave any day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Wow, has a team ever been relegated in January before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Apparenty, according to sky Burnley have a report stating Laws has the best record the past 4 seasons, if taking the budget into account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was watching SSN earlier and they were saying that Graham Alexander now has the role of player/coach.

Be interesting to see how Burnley play now. Brian Laws has a fantastic record at Championship level but I wonder if he'll be able to cope with this step up.

AFAIK he's never managed in the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Strange appointment I think. Sheffield Wednesday would be something of a "second" team for me, now I know the finances of the club are shocking, and they are just about breaking even at this stage, but Burnley have an absolute shoe string budget compared to most Premiership sides, so he is in a similar situation.

Ultimately he left Wednesday second from bottom of the Championship with 4 wins from 23 IIRC. I wouldn't be jumping for joy at the appointment if was a Burnley fan tbh.

Advertisement