Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Say 30K to spend on BMW - what should we get??

• 13-01-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I don't know much about cars so won't be able to follow ultra-techie speak but would be grateful for any advice you can offer on which BMW to buy - we are finally getting rid of our 10yr old Astra and want to get a Beamer. It's one of those things - maybe they're not as good as other cars, or overrated, or overcommon, but when you've always wanted one, nothing else will do. In terms of what we need and would like, here's some info:

• Will be driven a lot as husband works between Dublin and South East.
    • He's 6'4 so needs space and comfort
    • Likes power
    • Auto transmission preferaby
    • Bluetooth
    • Likes "muscular" looking cars
    We're aware that there is a new 320d model coming out in April and that the old model 320d will depreciate significantly as a result, but we seem to see LOADS of 320ds on the roads and wouldn't mind going for something else, if we could afford it. Unless of course, they are just what we should be getting. We might be able to add to the 30k if necessary but don't want to completely break the bank either.

We have a friend in the UK who deals in ex-lease cars and can get us a relatively new model of whatever it is we end up wanting to buy and will get it for us at trade price also. Does this offer us more choice and better value??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

CF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You could get a lovely 2008 520D here for €30k!
    If you import from the UK you could get a higher spec'd 2008 model for probably around the same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How about a BMW X1 Series. They are only new out and relatively rare. Loads of room inside.

Now, they are relatively new so there will not be many around and people may not have a lot to say to review them for those reasons. However you should be able to pick up a 2010 Model for your budget.

http://www.bmw.ie/ie/en/newvehicles/x1/x1/2009/introduction.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Berty wrote: »
    How about a BMW X1 Series.

But she said manly:p

08 520d fwiw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

I don't think a 520D is the way to go.... The F10 (new 5 series) is due out and the last thing he wants is to buy a 5 and for it to be replaced. The F30 (new 3 series) isn't due out till late 2012/ early 2013.

Going for automatic transmission will greatly reduce your choice. Most bimmers out there are manual. You will enjoy manual BMW much more.

Do you really have to go for a D? If so then go for the efficent dynamics models - most of them came out in 2008. In fairness a D is probably the best way to go.

The fact that you can get the car for cost gives you a much greater range (ignoring auto choice!). Personally I'd be looking at something like a 08 - 325D M Sport Saloon or Coupe depending on what you want.

The 325D won't keep it's value any better than a 320D i.e. you won't get more for a 325D than a 320D when you go to trade in. You will however enjoy the car much more. The 325's have so much power. Drive a 320 then a 325 and you'll see what I mean.

Whatever you do go for an M Sport!! The ES and SE models just don't compare to the M-Sport.

Give me some more info and I'll be able to give you a better answer -

Do you want 2/4 doors?
    Do you want a model that will keep it's value better than another model or do you intend to drive the car for a number of years?
    Are you interested in spending the cash on a lower model but with lots of extras or a higher model but more basic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don't know much about cars so won't be able to follow ultra-techie speak but would be grateful for any advice you can offer on which BMW to buy - we are finally getting rid of our 10yr old Astra and want to get a Beamer. It's one of those things - maybe they're not as good as other cars, or overrated, or overcommon, but when you've always wanted one, nothing else will do. In terms of what we need and would like, here's some info:

• Will be driven a lot as husband works between Dublin and South East.
    • He's 6'4 so needs space and comfort
    • Likes power
    • Auto transmission preferaby
    • Bluetooth
    • Likes "muscular" looking cars
    We're aware that there is a new 320d model coming out in April and that the old model 320d will depreciate significantly as a result, but we seem to see LOADS of 320ds on the roads and wouldn't mind going for something else, if we could afford it. Unless of course, they are just what we should be getting. We might be able to add to the 30k if necessary but don't want to completely break the bank either.

We have a friend in the UK who deals in ex-lease cars and can get us a relatively new model of whatever it is we end up wanting to buy and will get it for us at trade price also. Does this offer us more choice and better value??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

CF

depends on how new he wants but if he wants to spend 30k, on a fast automatic bmw, get an msport 335i/d or 535d, you are prolly looking at 06/07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if you want big, muscular and powerful go for a 6 series! Here is the cheapest one on carzone from a SIMI dealer and Id imagine you would get it for 20k, that is 50% cheaper than the cheapest 05 model!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/645CI-CO/200943195576297/advert?channel=CARS

If you want the 5 series, I would hold off until the new one is out, as the current ones should deflate another good bit. The 7 series is probably out of the equation, although you can pick an 02 / 03 one up for next to nothing. Looks are a mater of opinion, but the current E92 coupe, E46 coupe, current 6 series are beauties. current 5 series is ok. Be prepared for the hit in depreciation though, which in a year will be worth several of your astras! how many miles will the car cover per year?

just googled this new engine and the output and mpg is unreal! an extract from wikipedia below:

Introduced in September 2009 for the 2010 model year is a new 163 bhp / 265 lb ft (360 N m) derivate in the new E90 BMW 320d EfficientDynamics, with exceptionally low CO2 emmissions of only 109 g/km. This exceptionally low amount of CO2 is matched by extremely low fuel consumption of 68.9 mpg, lower than the Second Generation Toyota Prius despite offering obviously superior performance: 0-100 km/h in 8.2 seconds and a top speed of 225 km/h[2].

The "standard" x20d model has 14 extra bhp, at 177 bhp but 7 lb ft of torque less at 258 lb ft(350 N m). This is found in the E81/E82/E87/E88 120d, E90/E91/E92/E93 320d, recently retired E60 and E61 520d, E84 X1 sDrive20d, X1 xDrive20d and E83 X3 xDrive20d.

In Europe, this particular version is one of the most popular engines in the entire range; the best selling 3 series is the 320d, while the 520d is the UK's best selling 5 series [3]. Needless to say, it is also the de facto choice for X3 buyers in Europe[4].

Chilliflake, do you know how much the new 320d will cost? dont forget that after sometime in 08 the cars were linked to emissions not engine size and that is a significant factor to bear in mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Shane732 wrote: »
    I don't think a 520D is the way to go.... The F10 (new 5 series) is due out and the last thing he wants is to buy a 5 and for it to be replaced. The F30 (new 3 series) isn't due out till late 2012/ early 2013.

Going for automatic transmission will greatly reduce your choice. Most bimmers out there are manual. You will enjoy manual BMW much more.

Whatever you do go for an M Sport!! The ES and SE models just don't compare to the M-Sport.

I would say that most 5 series are automatic, and are better for it too. Also, if ride comfort is important, M-Sport may not be the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I don't think a 520D is the way to go.... The F10 (new 5 series) is due out and the last thing he wants is to buy a 5 and for it to be replaced.....

...tbh, if his existing car is 10yrs old, it's unlikely he'll be moving the new one anytime soon.........

OP, buy the highest spec car you can afford, over the newer number plate: you'll get a nicer car for it, and enjoy it more.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Road Tax may be an issue, insurance may be an issue, but for 30k, you cold get your hands on a '05/'06 X5.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200952196289606

http://www.irishvrt.ie/seven-new-vrt-bands.html

the new 320d will only output 109g per km, which means VRT will only be 14%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ronnie#1

Road Tax may be an issue, insurance may be an issue, but for 30k, you cold get your hands on a '05/'06 X5.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200952196289606

the brake fluid has to be done on the X5, just something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Chilliflake

Thanks for all of your replies, much appreciated.

Some additional info -

• He probably does about 20K a year
    • Would be looking for 4 door as the Astra was 2 door and is a PITA for loading and unloading his work materials and suits etc
    • Only kept the Astra for so long until his income improved and next car won't be kept for so long, will most likely keep it for max 3 years before trading in
    • Wouldn't be looking to buy a new 320d as I know it's going to be sky high price wise. Would wait till 2012 or so to get one if we were going to go that route
    • Personally, I love the look of the 325, 335 and 535. Would you get one of those for 30k?
    • Would also prefer higher spec to newer car I think.
    • Do you think diesel is the way to go or would petrol do him? Is there more of a selection in the i versions?
    • What about leasing?
    Thanks all

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if you want big, muscular and powerful go for a 6 series! Here is the cheapest one on carzone from a SIMI dealer and Id imagine you would get it for 20k, that is 50% cheaper than the cheapest 05 model!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/645CI-CO/200943195576297/advert?channel=CARS

If you want the 5 series, I would hold off until the new one is out, as the current ones should deflate another good bit. The 7 series is probably out of the equation, although you can pick an 02 / 03 one up for next to nothing. Looks are a mater of opinion, but the current E92 coupe, E46 coupe, current 6 series are beauties. current 5 series is ok. Be prepared for the hit in depreciation though, which in a year will be worth several of your astras! how many miles will the car cover per year?

That 6 series is beautiful! I'd nearly forego the 4 door requirement for this.. I can imagine the tax and insurance would be off the wall though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Most bimmers out there are manual. You will enjoy manual BMW much more.

Most 316s in Ireland are manual. You cannot say what you've said for the higher level engines as it's simply not true.

20k a year with fuel prices and resale on a car like what you're looking at says diesel to me all day long, a petrol 5 series doesn't make much sense to me anymore, sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

The road tax for the 6 series is E1560 per year for all 04 6 series! In 05 a 3L came out, but the cheapest 3 litre on carzone for an 05 is 36k or an 06 with only 15 miles for 37k from a SIMI dealer again which is very reasonable! If you are buying cash and with the market like it is now, you are in a great position!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

That last MSport 330 is lovely. Is that a good price for it?

3 lovely cars.

Just remember that with an 07 you will be paying under the (higher) old car tax system.

You prob justify buying an 07 now on the basis of a couple of thousand less versus a couple of hundred more in car tax, but when you go to sell in your suggested 3 year time frame the 08 should command a better price.

O7Pat wrote: »
    3 lovely cars.

Just remember that with an 07 you will be paying under the (higher) old car tax system.

You prob justify buying an 07 now on the basis of a couple of thousand less versus a couple of hundred more in car tax, but when you go to sell in your suggested 3 year time frame the 08 should command a better price.

Ok thanks. So for that reason you do reckon we should stick with 08 onwards with any car we look at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

ohdatlewis wrote: »

this would be the one I would take!!!!!
    everything you need.... great car... not too many on the roads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

robtri wrote: »

I love the 6 series, I would be seriously tempted if I could afford it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would stick to 08 or newer. Regardless of what people say about the road tax being only a tiny fraction of running cost etc, if you try to sell a 530d for example with an 07 plate and 1300 tax, you will have to give it away compared to an 08 car with €600 tax.
    People run away from anything with that aount of tax now.
    Having said that if you were thinking about getting that 645i, you would want to look at the emissions for that as there may not be a whole lot of difference re 2008 and older. Surely though you wouldnt buy a 645i for doing 20,000 miles a year in? It would be madness surely.

I would too except for the miles. 84k miles is too much on an 07 car really unless you would be doing tiny miles from now on.

It's very nice alright, love the fact that it's fully loaded and powerful. What about the mileage though..? Would we be crazy spending 33K on a car with 84k miles on the clock?

mickdw wrote: »
    I would stick to 08 or newer. Regardless of what people say about the road tax being only a tiny fraction of running cost etc, if you try to sell a 530d for example with an 07 plate and 1300 tax, you will have to give it away compared to an 08 car with €600 tax.
    People run away from anything with that aount of tax now.
    Having said that if you were thinking about getting that 645i, you would want to look at the emissions for that as there may not be a whole lot of difference re 2008 and older. Surely though you wouldnt buy a 645i for doing 20,000 miles a year in? It would be madness surely.

Why would it be? Because of the fuel consumption?

• Advertisement

Why would it be? Because of the fuel consumption?

Yes and general running costs like servicing, tyres, repairs. The bills on one of those would be multiples of those on a more mainstream car.
    I do similar mileage to yourselves, spend alot on my car but wouldnt dream of running that as a daily driver.
    If I did go mad, I would have an M5 before that.

Only band new vehilcles registered in the country after 1 July 2008, will be emissions based and not engine sized based... My question is how much longer, can the huge differences in road tax exist? surely the rates for cars registered after 1 July 08 will have to go up as much more of these cars are on the road, and the older paymasters are retired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eastie

Go to BMW.ie and check their premium selection listing, get a 520d M Sport, end of story. if your going to buy a BMW then you should buy it from a BMW dealer, I was toying with buying one for 2 months and would have got slightly better value from a non dealer but in the end I was glad I paid slightly more by going with a main dealer. they really do treat you very well and its what you'd expect when going for a premium brand like it is. You are also in the dealer network then and its easier to get things done if you have comeback.
    Having said that the BMW warranty (if you buy a newish car) works in all BMW dealerships European wide, so theres nothing wrong with buying a UK import. However, its just easier if your dealing with the dealership you bought the car from.
    The 520D M Sport looks great, has good spec (although BMWs arent fantastic for spec given what your paying), and has all the performance and comfort I could ever want and I drive 20K miles a year. They are also very good to hold their value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Only band new vehilcles registered in the country after 1 July 2008, will be emissions based and not engine sized based... My question is how much longer, can the huge differences in road tax exist? surely the rates for cars registered after 1 July 08 will have to go up as much more of these cars are on the road, and the older paymasters are retired?

They changed it to say that cars registered between January and July 08 can elect to be taxed under the co2 emissions system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

If it was me, it would be a 530D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you can get insured on a 630 for about 750yoyo. they're a pure joy to drive too! there's not a whole lot of performance difference between the 645 and 630, so if you have that much to spend, i'd get a 630 and take a holiday.

• Advertisement

the 3L 6 series engine is the lightest 6 cylinder in the world and the car weight 120kg less than the 645...

the older a car you go for the more prestigious and better spec you can get, its as simple as that really...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nice but dont forget to factor in :
    • VRT
    • Travel
    • HPI Check
    • RAC/AA Inspection
    • Exchange Conversion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Damn beamers have fallen a bit in value

Whats the value of an 08 335d with only 12k on the clock??

kceire wrote: »
    Nice but dont forget to factor in :
    • VRT
    • Travel
    • HPI Check
    • RAC/AA Inspection
    • Exchange Conversion

How would I work out the VRT on that car for example? Given the UK/EUR exchange rate at the moment, buying from the UK would probably make sense (if VRT doesn't ruin the exchange rate benefit)..

Also - 325 or 525d M Series Saloon? Which would you go for? Saw a nice 525d as well.

I suggested a 530 to a car geek friend and he told me not to go there. Tax or emissions or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Here's the Revenue VRT calculator:
    https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

eoin wrote: »
    I would say that most 5 series are automatic, and are better for it too. Also, if ride comfort is important, M-Sport may not be the way to go.

Sorry I was referring to 3ers...

MarkN wrote: »
    Most 316s in Ireland are manual. You cannot say what you've said for the higher level engines as it's simply not true.

20k a year with fuel prices and resale on a car like what you're looking at says diesel to me all day long, a petrol 5 series doesn't make much sense to me anymore, sad but true.

Most 3ers... in Ireland are manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

ohdatlewis wrote: »

Even though it says fully loaded, its actually a bogo spec 7 series. That 6 series a few pages back is a gem, great value for €20k.

Thanks for all of your replies, much appreciated.

Some additional info -

• He probably does about 20K a year
    • Would be looking for 4 door as the Astra was 2 door and is a PITA for loading and unloading his work materials and suits etc
    • Only kept the Astra for so long until his income improved and next car won't be kept for so long, will most likely keep it for max 3 years before trading in
    • Wouldn't be looking to buy a new 320d as I know it's going to be sky high price wise. Would wait till 2012 or so to get one if we were going to go that route
    • Personally, I love the look of the 325, 335 and 535. Would you get one of those for 30k?
    • Would also prefer higher spec to newer car I think.
    • Do you think diesel is the way to go or would petrol do him? Is there more of a selection in the i versions?
    • What about leasing?
    Thanks all

Ok.... Well based on what you've said above I think you're looking at either a 320 or 520. If you're only going to keep your car for 3 years then either of these two models will keep it's value the best.

I'm going to focus on the 3 series as I wouldn't go for a 5 series with the new 5 due out soon.

For your price range I reckon you're looking at either a highly spec'd 07 or more standard 08. Your timeline for a new car is bang on - buy a 07/08 now keep it till 2013 and then buy the new 3 series.

What people have said about the road tax on an 08 is right, the residual value will be higher come trade-in time (you're talking same money though).

Is leather a must for you?

I'm driving a top of the range 07 BMW 320 i M-Sport at the moment. If I was buying again I'd probably go for a D instead of the I. Fuel consumption is low around town in the i, if your driving is going to be outside town then an I should be fine.

On that note I'd sell you my 320 for €27K!! :) She's in the garage at the moment though!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ok.... Well based on what you've said above I think you're looking at either a 320 or 520. If you're only going to keep your car for 3 years then either of these two models will keep it's value the best.

I'm going to focus on the 3 series as I wouldn't go for a 5 series with the new 5 due out soon.

For your price range I reckon you're looking at either a highly spec'd 07 or more standard 08. Your timeline for a new car is bang on - buy a 07/08 now keep it till 2013 and then buy the new 3 series.

What people have said about the road tax on an 08 is right, the residual value will be higher come trade-in time (you're talking same money though).

Is leather a must for you?

I'm driving a top of the range 07 BMW 320 i M-Sport at the moment. If I was buying again I'd probably go for a D instead of the I. Fuel consumption is low around town in the i, if your driving is going to be outside town then an I should be fine.

On that note I'd sell you my 320 for €27K!! :) She's in the garage at the moment though!! :(

Leather is a must alright..we want luxury this time after being kicked around the road in the Astra!

Now I know I'm going to sound like a dunce, but what exactly are the main differences between a 3 series and a 5 series? Specifically the 320 and 520.

Chilliflake you uare right about the leather! I have a bmw with leather, the bro has one without, and the leather looks and feels so much slicker, which is what you want in a bmw!

when this year is the new 5 series being sold on the forecourts? Regarding the difference between 5 series and 3 series, the 5 series will be slightly bigger and has more prestige, it may come with a higher basic spec too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

you'll pick up an 06 730d for 30k

4 door saloon
    Auto
    Leather
    35mpg+
    plus lots of other extras and a much nicer interior then any other BMW.

• Advertisement
Advertisement