Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landers

Options
  • 13-01-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

has anyone bought a gun from landers in tralee, good/bad, was in today seem to have a good bit of stock but the man was acting like he couldnt be bothered showing anything to me.

i heard from a friend that there is a man selling guns in killarney, but cant find any number anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have you had a look in Fishing and hunting in Cork? They are good to deal with.
    Kinsale rd Business park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

jap gt wrote: »
    has anyone bought a gun from landers in tralee, good/bad, was in today seem to have a good bit of stock but the man was acting like he couldnt be bothered showing anything to me.

i heard from a friend that there is a man selling guns in killarney, but cant find any number anywhere

a lot of gunshops seem to be like that , i went into tallaght rod and gun 5 or 6 years ago looking to by a rifle and got the same treatment , you'd think that with the state of the economy and the even worse state of the gun trade , they'd be bending over backwards to sell you something .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Mick Duggan in Killarney,nice guy to talk to 087-2616185

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Mick Duggan in Killarney,nice guy to talk to 087-2616185

has he a shop in the town

has he a shop in the town

works out of a shop at side of his house just outside the town,

• Advertisement

id say this is the man i was told about, has he much selection, i tried ringing phone is off

id say this is the man i was told about, has he much selection, i tried ringing phone is off
    Ya he works for the council so it is normally evenings or weekends, depends what your looking for, but he has a selection, leave a message he is good to ring back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

+1 for mick duggan. Ive found him to be refreshingly genuine compared to other dealers !

gonna have a look in listowel tomorrow after work, and ring mick duggan to arrange a time the following evening

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cant complain about Landers either.He has done me a couple of good deals in the past as well.You need to deal with Tim himself,not the standins from the fishing tackle dept.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

I've never met mike Duggan but I've heard a lot of good stuff about him from most folks that have had dealings with him, Tim Landers is very expensive, 120 euro a year to store a gun , even if its just to sell it!, but has a good range, Jim Halpin 0872617897 in Listowel is hard to beat on deals on new stuff, more often than not he will match any other price or do better, Sean that works their knows a lot about guns, theirs a fella in Askeaton thats excellent on ammo, about 20% cheaper than anyone else and he sells Eley shotgun shells, rifle ammo, but has only small range in guns, Peter in Rathkeale is about the best on second hand guns, but I'm not sure if he's still open, the Gardai sat in a car watching his shop being robbed some years ago and it shook him up, Pat in Mallow is excellent on centerfire pistol ammo and other ammo. I'd recommend shopping around and comparing prices, high rents and staff wages push prices up.

HJ:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

Peter Donovan has now retired and closed up. The guy in Askeaton is Aidan Hanley. Sound out but you are right, he doesn't carry a great selection of guns. Good place for getting ammo tho. He is more of a rifle man and a good man to talk to for advice for all things rifle related.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tim Landers is very expensive, 120 euro a year to store a gun , even if its just to sell it!, but has a good range,

In comparision to some profiteering gun dealers that is somwhat reasonable.
    Been quoted everything from 80 Euros PA to 540 PA per gun in the Midwest/Munster reigon:eek:.
    Last time I spoke to Tim ,he said he wasnt taking in anymore guns for storage.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 M14

Try Knocknagoshel shootin ground for good deals at the moment!, was up there during the week and they have a pretty good selection of new and second hand rifles. All the new stuff is at cost price.

M14 wrote: »
    Try Knocknagoshel shootin ground for good deals at the moment!, was up there during the week and they have a pretty good selection of new and second hand rifles. All the new stuff is at cost price.

where in knocknagoshel is it

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Also ring paul O'Halloran in Drangan for a price at least - I've found him to be fairly good to deal with - gives a good starting price for when you begin bbargaining with the local dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

Knocknagoshel SG - N52.32142 W009.38495

Heading from Castleisland to Abbeyfeale take first signposted turn for knocknagoshel, there is a pub at the bottom of the ramp take the left just before the pub and there sign post for the SG it is an immediate right turn, follow that road for about a mile and a half and there is another sign post for a left turn and then a quick right into the SG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I think this is relevant to the thread, anyway, I went to Galway today with the brother as he's interested in taking up shooting and decided to check out Duffys new "walk in store". When I actually asked if we could have a look in back he briskly replied no for no apparent reason. I just can't get why he was so <snip> unsociable towards us and we weren't dressed in hoodies and white runners or the like either. Service and being nice sells alot... thats my 2 cents. I'd rather give a more helpful dealer a few extra euro than deal with <people> like that. Seems recession aint bad enough yet.:rolleyes:

kay 9 wrote: »
    I think this is relevant to the thread, anyway, I went to Galway today with the brother as he's interested in taking up shooting and decided to check out Duffys new "walk in store". When I actually asked if we could have a look in back he briskly replied no for no apparent reason. I just can't get why he was so <snip> unsociable towards us and we weren't dressed in hoodies and white runners or the like either. Service and being nice sells alot... thats my 2 cents. I'd rather give a more helpful dealer a few extra euro than deal with <people> like that. Seems recession aint bad enough yet.:rolleyes:

thanks for that kay 9, i was thinking bout driving up to have a look at the shop next week, they are cheapest so far for the gun i want. i hate people like that, i think you have saved me the trip now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

No problem Jap gt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

rowa wrote: »
    a lot of gunshops seem to be like that , i went into tallaght rod and gun 5 or 6 years ago looking to by a rifle and got the same treatment , you'd think that with the state of the economy and the even worse state of the gun trade , they'd be bending over backwards to sell you something .
    coulnt agree with you more the lad in tallaght is <unpleasant to me> i go in there a bit for fishing gear just because its close to me and everytime i go in its the same thing.
    woulnt buy any shooting gear off him

a lot of the shops around me just do it because im young, the minute you walk in the door they are watching you. its a great way to get young people into the sport :mad:

anyone dealt with jeffersports in bandon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

How do these people stay in business ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

When I was looking to buy my rifle I rang Duffy's. Now maybe they were busy in the shop but when I enquired about the CZ he basically told me go to the web and check it out there. I had another question and he replied " go to their website" I hung up the phone with my mind made up that I would not be dealing with them. Again it could be just that he was busy in the shop but he was still very short with me. Happier that he was tho cause I ended up getting a savage .17hmr and love it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

are duffys really that bad, anyone find them good

Just on what i said above, the man i dealt with was dead sound. An oldish man, and was very helpful and polite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

Also ring paul O'Halloran in Drangan for a price at least - I've found him to be fairly good to deal with - gives a good starting price for when you begin bbargaining with the local dealer.

in relation to approchable dealers and fairness in price, paul o halloran is hard to beat . i priced a nice few guns and paul was by far the cheapest and most straight talking dealer i met. i found landers only ok . very hard to haggle with if even for 50 euro off hence why i went else were(50 euro off the price of a 1300 gun by the way)

paul +1:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

a anyone dealt with jeffersports in bandon

Yes. Bought a secondhand sxs from them about 5 years ago. Mervin (Mervyn?) Jeffers.... think another family member is also involved. Found them OK, I knew what I wanted, they had it and a deal was done. OK on price and to deal with. Sold the gun last year for just a bit less than I paid for it.

I've only bought marine stuff from Landers and found them OK, but that was in their old shop, not the new place out by Parkway or whatever it is called.

The problem for most gunshops is the customer who is a browser, who has no idea of what he wants and even looks as if he does not have the busfare home. No reflection on anyone here of course! :D
    P.

mrhd wrote: »
    Knocknagoshel SG - N52.32142 W009.38495

Heading from Castleisland to Abbeyfeale take first signposted turn for knocknagoshel, there is a pub at the bottom of the ramp take the left just before the pub and there sign post for the SG it is an immediate right turn, follow that road for about a mile and a half and there is another sign post for a left turn and then a quick right into the SG

i think i will head back for a look, i was told that they only open saturday and sunday? have they a lot in stock.. anyone else deal with them

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrhd

they are usually open 12:00-16:00 on Sat and Sun, they were open on Wednesdays at one stage but might not be for the winter months

They have a decent enough stock and it is on display not like alot of other dealers

give them a ring details on http://www.icpsa.ie/contact_us.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 centre

opened sat and sun 12-4 and wed 1-9 .

Advertisement