Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Architect west cork

• 13-01-2010 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have a stone barn/shed, looking to convert it near clonakilty - no money at present to actually do it, but, want to make a start at least on the design - want a practical architect to assist that is fee friendly - nothing arty farty, just good clean practical design - does anyone know of anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Davecrtmac

thanks but came up with a 0 ... will look in friday ad and local paper today ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

Hi Davecrtmac

Just a few words of advice - you seem to be too focussed on the locality of your archtiect not his work.
    Do yourself a favour and retain an architect whose built work you like and/or who comes well recommended.
    Do not limit yourself by his geographical origins or location of base of operations - most architects can travel.

For example, we've done work in Limerick, Galway and most recently in Donegal.
    Admittedly we usually end up doing work the locals have attempted and not been successful at.
    In that sense we're seen as the last resort and the previous incumbents lack of success overcomes any prejudices.

Many other professional practices based in cities like Dublin are drawn to far flung projects.
    One structural engineer we know regularly does a run up to the North of Ireland on a major job.
    One mechanical and electrical engineer is thinking of setting up a southern office to do the work.

However I'm sure you'll find someone within your province at least to satisfy your requirements.
    Of course as soon as you choose a guy from Limerick the West Cork Architect's Brigade will drop round for some Blueshirt Tea...

<LOL!>

ONQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Davecrtmac

hi, good advice which is appreciated - I suppose local is important to me because of the cost of travel etc - if I can find someone local then it is a bonus because they will know the area and people that might be able to assist on the build when it does come ...the thing is that the design is not so much the issue as I do not not want something complicated, its more the fact that it is a fairly large stone barn at the back of the house, and, behind the main back wall of the barn is earth, and, water comes under the barn, nothing major, but, its an important factor to consider - in addition, in front of the barn (which means at the back of my house) is concrete and it seems to me that this needs to be looked at in terms of the plumbing/drainage/damp proofing of not just the barn but the back of my house (the house is late georgian so there is a "history" of later bad design/build at the back) - thats why i need someone practical, almost an engineer of sorts - my father has commented that a new wall should be built around the inside with a channel on the inside of the wall i.e. between the new wall and the old stone wall - it has a good roof etc ...I would rather get the basics right and go from there - I would post pics here but dont know how !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

Davecrtmac wrote: »
    hi, good advice which is appreciated - I suppose local is important to me because of the cost of travel etc - if I can find someone local then it is a bonus because they will know the area and people that might be able to assist on the build when it does come ...the thing is that the design is not so much the issue as I do not not want something complicated, its more the fact that it is a fairly large stone barn at the back of the house, and, behind the main back wall of the barn is earth, and, water comes under the barn, nothing major, but, its an important factor to consider - in addition, in front of the barn (which means at the back of my house) is concrete and it seems to me that this needs to be looked at in terms of the plumbing/drainage/damp proofing of not just the barn but the back of my house (the house is late georgian so there is a "history" of later bad design/build at the back) - thats why i need someone practical, almost an engineer of sorts - my father has commented that a new wall should be built around the inside with a channel on the inside of the wall i.e. between the new wall and the old stone wall - it has a good roof etc ...I would rather get the basics right and go from there - I would post pics here but dont know how !!

I'm not sure what you mean by "under" the barn but it sounds like the slab is may be compromised and that a groundwater issue exists and needs to be addressed, possibly needing the tracing of springs, watercourses and water table levels.

Water moving like that can undermine foundations by removing "fines" from soils and saturated ground runs a huge risk of freezing solid with resultant frost heave possibly affecting foundations if they're not deep enough.

You will definitely need a competent engineer but my recent experiences with small local firms in relation to a straightforward drainage issue has left me nunplussed.

You need a competent office, fit to address your problems, not someone who will waste your time with old wives tales and talk of "influence" and then not perform.

HTH

ONQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

I have to agree with ONQ. This sounds like a pretty complicated job. I would retain an architecture firm and a site engineer that has experience in this type of job. Also, in my experience there are a lot of issues with moisture/condensation/build quality when trying to renovate a structure like you have. A very good architect will be able to provide you with a design that is appropriate to the existing structure as well as have the technical expertise to design and supervise a well constructed and durable/problem free building.

Many architecture firms also serve multiple cities. The office I work for is Dublin based, but we have a steady stream of projects in galway that makes it very easy for us to take on more work in that area without charging for it.

Advertisement