Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom broadband working extremely slow

• 13-01-2010 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

i have 3mb eircom broadband and for the last week or so its been working very slow. i have the filters on all the phone sockets and sky. so i dont think its to do with filters. this is the result i got with a speedtest

169p4zc.png

this is probably this worst result i ever seen and im wondering does anybody know what might cause this? ive done the test a few times today and for some reason the ping keeps fluctuating widely from about 100 into the high thousands. the download and upload rates seem to be consistently bad

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats? ARe you plugged into the router or using wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 THEMAVS4LIFE

Try The Ping and check ur packet loss and jitter that will determine your line's
    quality ! Im With eircom 3mb and no problem with speed ect. average 2.6 which is good and im as well in dublin 50mil from exchange

and dub 45 eircom don't enforce caps i think u said they did in a previous forum

7751418.png

Try The Ping and check ur packet loss and jitter that will determine your line's
    quality ! Im With eircom 3mb and no problem with speed ect. average 2.6 which is good and im as well in dublin 50mil from exchange

and dub 45 eircom don't enforce caps i think u said they did in a previous forum

Where did I mention caps? I asked the op to give us the line stats and it is these which determine his line quality not his ping results.

dub45 sorry i know now that its not u so again im sorry

and i ask for his ping results just to see how good his line was so once again

sorry:)

• Advertisement

You are grand don't be worrying:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

maddoggdan20 change your security for WPA2 key or turn off wireless if u don't need it and forgot about the problem my friend ;)
    I'm 100% sure someone is downloading torrents on your account :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 maddoggdan20

dub45 wrote: »
    What are your line stats? ARe you plugged into the router or using wireless?

im using a netopia router and the line stats are

Line State Up Modulation DMT Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 224 256 SN Margin (dB) 22.90 26.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 56.50 31.50 CRC Errors 9 0

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

What security have you set ??

borygo77 wrote: »
    What security have you set ??

i have a wpa key

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spwlh

hi,

yeah im having the same issue! eircom are driving me mad!! I rang them loads of times and had them to my house 4 times!!! they said they can't find any problem with phone line and theres no bad connection, but still i'm on a 3mb package and am getting speeds as low as 300kbps.. I rang them about 2 weeks ago and they said that they would send someone down to me again but no one showed. The speed did improve and went back up to about 2.5mb but in the last few days it's back to it's bad old self! Im in cork city and they told me i'm less than a mile from the exchange! They are a bunch of a**h*les!
    In researching this i find alot of people are having a similar problem is there any way of getting together and put one big complaint to get eircom or some watchbody to get them back on track, I'm sick of listening to their new ads on the radio saying how great there are!!

im using a netopia router and the line stats are

Line State Up Modulation DMT Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 224 256 SN Margin (dB) 22.90 26.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 56.50 31.50 CRC Errors 9 0

Your snr is pretty ok but your attentuation is not great sadly.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Try plugging out al the other stuff and take the filter off your bb connection and plug it directly in and see if there is any improvment.

spwlh wrote: »
    hi,

yeah im having the same issue! eircom are driving me mad!! I rang them loads of times and had them to my house 4 times!!! they said they can't find any problem with phone line and theres no bad connection, but still i'm on a 3mb package and am getting speeds as low as 300kbps.. I rang them about 2 weeks ago and they said that they would send someone down to me again but no one showed. The speed did improve and went back up to about 2.5mb but in the last few days it's back to it's bad old self! Im in cork city and they told me i'm less than a mile from the exchange! They are a bunch of a**h*les!
    In researching this i find alot of people are having a similar problem is there any way of getting together and put one big complaint to get eircom or some watchbody to get them back on track, I'm sick of listening to their new ads on the radio saying how great there are!!

Line stats?

borygo77 wrote: »
    maddoggdan20 change your security for WPA2 key or turn off wireless if u don't need it and forgot about the problem my friend ;)
    I'm 100% sure someone is downloading torrents on your account :D

And on what do you base this certainty?

hi,

i called them and an engineer is comin out on friday. hopefully he will fix it. if he does nothing im probasbly gonna just switch isp. is there anyway to lower the line attentuation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I've am on a 3MB Eircom connection and have experienced the same issues. With my line stats the same and the line syncing at 3072 I have had a stable 2.5MB download speed for months and then I experience the 300kbs like you talked about. Nothing changed on my side even the line stats are similar but Eircom always say my line is fine, go figure. The problem with changing isp is you will still be using the same line unless you change to a Wireless provider(which could be a worse solution) or Chorus.

I Heard from a few people in researching this, the reason why everyone is getting very slow speeds in certain areas is that eircom is overloading the exchange... This is why on the "busy" times, the speed drops really bad! They need to upgrade them so they can take the extra load? Did anyone hear of this??
    If this is correct then eircom needs a boot up the arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

hi,

Hey there ,

I feel your pain. Up until recently I was a 'customer' ( I use this term in the loosest possible way, in that I paid a monthly subscription for a service but didn't actually get anything most of the time ) of Eircoms. So I'm going to do something about them..

Please keep an eye on a new blog/forum I'll be starting up soon called www.eircon.ie , this will be dedicated to showing these gangsters for what they really are.

Thanks..

AB.

Good to know anbrutog! I can't understand in the year 2010 that they can get away with this! Something has to be done about them, I'm sick of paying money ( in a recession ) for an inconsistent service! What annoys me mostly is that anytime you ring them they say they can't understand why we are having these problems, but we all know that they do!! I was thinking of getting onto comreg, but not sure will that make any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Good to know anbrutog! I can't understand in the year 2010 that they can get away with this! Something has to be done about them, I'm sick of paying money ( in a recession ) for an inconsistent service! What annoys me mostly is that anytime you ring them they say they can't understand why we are having these problems, but we all know that they do!! I was thinking of getting onto comreg, but not sure will that make any difference?

Cheers mate :)

Slightly off topic but..

Aside from their absymal service , I found out something else about them that made my blood boil. I'm sure all Eircoms customers have had the pleasure of having to deal with their farcical phone system at least once over the course of their subscription with them. If you've ever wondered why its so unbelievably crap, its because the actor who does the voice is mates with someone senior in Eircom and managed to swing himself a nice little deal whereby the phone system can't be changed until his deal runs out , and it's set to run for a good while yet. So next time your roaring down the phone because the voice recognition system cant understand what your saying or your being bounced from department to department because you're only given five miserable options to describe what the nature of your call is , blame that guy and his Eircom exec buddy for making your call an utter misery. It sums up Eircom and the way they behave perfectly imo.

• Advertisement

i tested my ping and got an a grade then i was streaming a youtube video about 5 mins long. i tested my ping again and got this.
    2v9x35l.png
    immediately after the video finished loading i get these results
    30rkyrl.png
    anybody know why streaming 1 video could cause these high pings?

Advertisement