Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf GTI remap - clutch slipping!

Options
  • 13-01-2010 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,
    Was looking for some advise. I've a 01 Golf Gti 150bhp remapped professionally to about 185bhp and about 2 weeks later clutch has started slipping. Car has 70k on the clock, well looked after. I know this was the risk with remapping but my question is this:
    Should I replace the clutch with the standard one designed for 150bhp or do I need to upgrade it? I'd rather just get the original but am afraid it can't handle the torque. I'm not too tough on the clutch but just need something that'll take the extra grunt when needed. Also, would you replace the flywheel (no obvious vibrations etc at the mo)??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

I think you answered your own question !

Go with an uprated one ! Two weeks after a remap it may have been on the way out anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Try AwesomeGTI UK or JabbaSport for the clutch kits

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The clutch from a MK3 golf VR6 and the flywheel form any G60 car i.e corrado etc(both official VW parts and not that dear) make a perfect upgrade for the 5 speed VW box and the are more than capable of handling up to and slightly over 200bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Smitheroo

Thanks for the advise guys, I probably will upgrade the clutch but I'm no mechanic so who do you advise asking to do the job in Dublin? Any ideas? Jackncoke : thanks for the sites but not sure how to go about it. Would you recommend buying the clutch kit myself and then finding someone to put it in?To be honest, if anyone could recommend a place in Dublin to do the job that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Give this guy a shout, have had work done by them, cant rate them enough.. !

Not too far up the M1

• Advertisement

+1 for Eugene Walsh Top service,if i was you i'd buying the parts up north anyway to save money.Give Eugene a shout and tell him you got his details from VAGdrivers.net and he will look after you,alternatively sign up to VAGdrivers and contact him through there.

Only my 2 cents but i would go with the VR6/G60 option i mentioned above,it's a good OEM option.There are plenty of company's that do uprated clutches like Jabba sport and sachs but in my opinion the are not necessary unless you are going to tune the car for serious power,plus the will be more harsh clutches i.e a strong biting point (either on or off) so not the best for daily driving or city driving.

Thanks for the advise lads. This place in Belfast looks exactly what u wanted. Hopefully much cheaper too considering it's sterling. I let you know how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baldyback

Hi Guys - AFAIK the clutch in the 150hp MKIV is the same clutch the 180hp used - Should this not be able to handle the remap? With 70k on it it could just be due a new clutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Torque kill clutches not BHP. Will any of the Golf TDI (the better variants) clutches fit? They would be rated from the factory for higher torque than I suspect a remapped 1.8T puts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

homer90 wrote: »
    Give this guy a shout, have had work done by them, cant rate them enough.. !

Not too far up the M1

+2 for Eugene
    Used him a few times, great service.

• Advertisement

baldyback wrote: »
    Hi Guys - AFAIK the clutch in the 150hp MKIV is the same clutch the 180hp used - Should this not be able to handle the remap? With 70k on it it could just be due a new clutch!

The 180 is a six speed box
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    Torque kill clutches not BHP. Will any of the Golf TDI (the better variants) clutches fit? They would be rated from the factory for higher torque than I suspect a remapped 1.8T puts out.

All the better variants are also 6 speed Matt.

Like i said the clutch from the MK3Vr6 and the G60 flywheel is the best OEM upgrade in this scenario - i don't make this stuff up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

baldyback wrote: »

Same engine and Clutch set up (and 5 speed box tossy) as the Octavia VRs 180bhp (MK1). Mine went at 63,000 miles and I got away with just replacing the clutch.

Can't remember the mileage, but Jackncoke's clutch went recently and he had to replace the clutch and flywheel.

Replaced mine with a normal clutch (think it was about €250 for the kit from a motor factors) and it's still going. Think it's done about 10-15,000 miles since the new clutch without a hiccup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

R.O.R wrote: »
    Same engine and Clutch set up (and 5 speed box tossy) as the Octavia VRs 180bhp (MK1). Mine went at 63,000 miles and I got away with just replacing the clutch.

Not in the golf, the 180bhp golfs came with a six speed 02M box, this box is used in the leon cupra/cupra R also plus anniversary golf's and various A3's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

tossy wrote: »
    Like i said the clutch from the MK3Vr6 and the G60 flywheel is the best OEM upgrade in this scenario - i don't make this stuff up :D

That is true, you dont! :p
    Was only suggesting an alternative, but maybe not even a feasible one. Your approach is nicely OEM+ too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

R.O.R wrote: »

Can't remember the mileage, but Jackncoke's clutch went recently and he had to replace the clutch and flywheel.

Replaced mine with a normal clutch (think it was about €250 for the kit from a motor factors) and it's still going. Think it's done about 10-15,000 miles since the new clutch without a hiccup.

Yeah,I got an uprated clutch and single mass flywheel from the UK for about 550 euro I think.Mechanic recommended flywheel was replaced at the same time as the clutch
    Neilw wrote: »
    Not in the golf, the 180bhp golfs came with a six speed 02M box, this box is used in the leon cupra/cupra R also plus anniversary golf's and various A3's.

OP has a 150bhp Golf tho?Isnt that a 5 speed?

jackncoke wrote: »
    P has a 150bhp Golf tho?Isnt that a 5 speed?

Yes it is a 5 speed,he was correcting a previous posters statement.

If you go to the trouble of replacing a clutch and don't do the flywheel at the same time you are mad in the head! :D

Yeah, will definitely be getting a new fly wheel - don't fancy paying for this whole thing again if that goes seperately. Gonna ring this lad Eugene tomorrow and see what he thinks. Thanks for all the info people, getting fairly well tutored on the ins and outs of VW clutchs. Sounds like the VR6 option seems pretty reliable.

With a bit of luck, maybe I'll finally be happy with the car. Only bought it a few months ago after i crashed my Mk V GTI (fell asleep and totalled it) and was pretty disappointed with the downgrade!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mightycat

Hi lads

Just bought a 2006 VW Golf TDI, which was remapped by the previous owner from 105bhp to 140 bhp. This car is very dissapointing, ive being hearing from friends with TDI's how economical VW TDI's are!!! My car does 33mpg, not really driving it on. Like a full tank would get me 600km give or take!!! The other thing which is really getting to me is the clutch its really really heavy!!! Like in 1st gear in traffic the car is near impossible to be comfortable. Im going to get the car serviced which should improve the MPG but wow what a let down!!! I presuming the previous owner replaced the clutch in co-ordinance to the remap. Very nice car on the road. Just wondering has anyone any thaughts on it???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

mightycat wrote: »
    Hi lads

Just bought a 2006 VW Golf TDI, which was remapped by the previous owner from 105bhp to 140 bhp. This car is very dissapointing, ive being hearing from friends with TDI's how economical VW TDI's are!!! My car does 33mpg, not really driving it on. Like a full tank would get me 600km give or take!!! The other thing which is really getting to me is the clutch its really really heavy!!! Like in 1st gear in traffic the car is near impossible to be comfortable. Im going to get the car serviced which should improve the MPG but wow what a let down!!! I presuming the previous owner replaced the clutch in co-ordinance to the remap. Very nice car on the road. Just wondering has anyone any thaughts on it???

MPG should be far better then that regardless of the remap. The standard clutch should be well able for 140bhp and what ever torque it produces.

Get someone to scan the car with vag-com (vcds) and log the maf values, maf could be bad.

Neilw wrote: »
    MPG should be far better then that regardless of the remap. The standard clutch should be well able for 140bhp and what ever torque it produces.

Get someone to scan the car with vag-com (vcds) and log the maf values, maf could be bad.

+1 there is something wrong with the car.Do you know who mapped it? it it definitely a map and not a tuning box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

The clutch is generally very heavy on the TDi. I was told that by a mechanic when I brought mine to him.

My clutch was going and I just asked if it's meant to be that hard to press in. It makes for VERY uncomfortable driving in traffic especially if you already have a bad knee :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I wouldnt class my TDI clutch as heavy - well I havnt noticed it being heavy anyway. The only issue I have driving in traffic is the anti stall thing, which makes the car move quicker with the clutch half and then settles down with the clutch fully out.

@mightycat - is that 33mpg in traffic through town or 33mpg when cruising on the motorway. My journey from home to work give me about 33mpg, but its all start stop. If I go to work by the M50 - I get 40s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Can't say I noticed a heavy clutch in any of the TDI's I drove. Mightycat even driving your car hard you should see better than 33mpg, something sounds amiss there. Where was your map done? Has it been proven to be 140 or is this just what the previous owner was told the map will get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The clutch is generally very heavy on the TDi. I was told that by a mechanic when I brought mine to him.

My clutch was going and I just asked if it's meant to be that hard to press in. It makes for VERY uncomfortable driving in traffic especially if you already have a bad knee :(
    I don't think it should be that heavy though......
    I've driven a few and none of them ever had a heavy or stiff cluch pedal !
    My own cluch isn't great (94k) and there is no sign of stiffness (yet)

The previous owner told me it was remapped to 140bhp(wasnt told where it was done and that it was proven), the car is def quicker than a normal 105bhp golf very lively!!! Not certain whether a tuning box was put in it, he told it was remapped and that was all!!! The 33mpg, would be prob one quarter town driving, three quarters motorway.

The clutch is grand on the open road (no slipping etc), just taking off in first gear the car feels like it weighs a tonne, very jerky and if the correct biting point isnt found it will conk!!! Im by no means a car expert, but from what ye're saying to me 33mpg is ****e!!! The car itself is running quite well. I dont think a whole lot of mechanics in Irl know a whole lot about remapping!! Just dissapointed with the fuel consumption and clutch!!! I will say it to say to a mechanic tommorow about the MAF testing I havent heard of this before!!

If the MAF was bad, what could be done with this? Forgot to mention also that the car has been fitted with a full gti body kit, lowerened, stiffiened and has 18" gti alloys on it which may bring the mpg consumption down also?

New MAF the are a replacement part from VW around 80-100 lids.

If i was you i would go to Joe power at chipped Ire/Urban performance in tallaght,get him to look at the map or ask him if he did the map (he will have records) he will also look at the economy issue for you,no one in the country knows the mapping/boosting,fueling etc characteristics of the TDI engine better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

33mpg on most motorway is rubbish - you should be hitting 50. If the guy fitted some sort of tuning box from ebay or some other piece of crap, it my just be overfueling you car. There are 2 decent remappers in Dublin autoremap and chippedire - either of those will be able to tell pretty quickly whats done to your car.

If the MAF is dodgy you will generally have uneven idle and no power above 2k rpm - kinda like there is no turbo. The easiest way to test if a MAF is dodgy is to plug it out and go for a run, see if you notice a difference. If you dont the Maf is gone. New sensor is cheap enough

Another issue may be the temp sender - does you temp gauge work or is it erratic. If the temp sender is gone, you car could be always running rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Rather than starting a new thread... I have a 2006 MkV GTi auto DSG. Should I be concerned about clutch etc as I am thinking of getting the remap to 240 horses next month?

Tossy, yea sounds like a good idea to bring it to chipped irl, I dont think the guy I bought the car from would have put a tuning box into it as the car as a whole is fin off very well. Whatever money he put into it he spent it well exterior and interior so it would appear that he did get a legit remap done!!!

Thanks for the info still need to find out what the story is with my heavy clutch though!!!

Thanks voxpop as well good info!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clark2334

mightycat wrote:
    Tossy, yea sounds like a good idea to bring it to chipped irl, I dont think the guy I bought the car from would have put a tuning box into it as the car as a whole is fin off very well. Whatever money he put into it he spent it well exterior and interior so it would appear that he did get a legit remap done!!!

Thanks for the info still need to find out what the story is with my heavy clutch though!!!

Thanks voxpop as well good info!!

Hi! What was the story about your heavy clutch? What did you do? Did you bought a new clutch. I'm also having that heavy clutch problem and thinking of getting a new clutch kits. But before that I want to first know what happened in your case before spending money to nothing.

Advertisement