Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating system and empty water tank in attic

• 13-01-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi guys,

With the water pressure been turned off lately we ended up with no water in the tank in the attic, we have only 1 tank so i'm guessing the heating also runs off this tank.

The question I have is if the heating was left on would it just stop if it did not have a water supply or would it cause serious damage to the boiler. To be on the safe side we turned the heating off until the pressure came back teh next morning.

I know boilers may be different but a general rule of thumb would be all i'm looking for.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

As a general rule of thumb the heating can be left on as it only needs a supply of water to replenish water lost by any leaks. So as long as the system is not leaking it will not need topping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

thanks Pete67,

so the water in the radiators/pipes just goes round and round the system.

I'm guessing this water goes via the hot water tank in the hotpress and as long as there is water in that tank (i.e. still water in the hot water taps) there are no problems, we didn't get to this stage but say there is no hot water comming out of the taps would there still be enough water in the system (radiators and pipes) to keep going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

In short - yes. You cannot empty the cylinder in the hot press unless you open a drain valve usually located at the bottom of the cold water feed to the cylinder. The water in the cylinder does not mix with the water from the boiler/rads (except in certain very very old systems) as it circulated through a coil in the cylinder to heat it, so it is ok to use the central heating when the mains water is not available.

If some of the system is suspected of beng frozen then that is a different situation and need to be approached very carefully.

Advertisement