Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gourmets Pride Oven

Options
  • 13-01-2010 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with their extremely expensive ovens in the recent past.
    About two years ago, the heating element blew, but I replaced it...no hassle!
    My problem now is, that the damn thing seems to overheat and then shut itself off automatically.
    The heat settings don't seem to work either. If I set it at minimum power, the thing just blasts out heat at full power.
    I know it's probably a thermostat or something similar. If this is the case i'd rather fix it myself than get an electrician out to tell me the entire oven needs to be replaced.

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

Hiya

I do contract work for the company who supply these ovens.They can be very troublesome.They are now obsolete and the Gourmets Pride brand name is no longer trading. Pm if you want me to give you the details of where to get the part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 PumpkinPie

Hi Gar.K.
    I just had same problem on my Gourmet's Pride- the heating in the oven element blew. Can you help out as to where to get the spare part. It is a one door oven, 4 hobs.
    Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

Pumpkinpie

You can get the heating element from the small electrical shop at the top of main st in bray (opposite McDonalds)

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cdevereux

Can you tell me the name or number of the shop in Bray. My Gourmet's Pride oven has stopped heating up so I reckon it's the element. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cdevereux wrote: »
    Can you tell me the name or number of the shop in Bray. My Gourmet's Pride oven has stopped heating up so I reckon it's the element. Cheers
    It's called (rather imaginatively!) Town Hall Electric :) Phone is (according to Google anyway) 01 286 3655.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I think Town Hall Electric has gone out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Company Name :
    CHARLIE SHIELS LTD
    Address :
    Units 3 and 4 Goldenbridge Ind Est, Inchicore Dublin 8 Dublin -IRELAND
    Phone :
    +353 (1) 454 58 44
    Fax :
    +353 (1) 454 58 45
    This company supplies almost every spare part for all electrical goods.
    They have a stores at above shop address.
    Worth a phone call.

Alun wrote: »
    It's called (rather imaginatively!) Town Hall Electric :) Phone is (according to Google anyway) 01 286 3655.

Liam Ahearne is the proprietor.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think Town Hall Electric has gone out of business.
    no, it hasn't

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

yeah,he is still there. was in there the other day.I actually have a couple of elements myself if anybody needs them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    no, it hasn't

Sorry, I was misinformed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fakerbaker2

Anyone any ideas as to where I can buy a heating element for the now obsolete oven made by gourmets pride...t's a mill

Anyone any ideas as to where I can buy a heating element for the now obsolete oven made by gourmets pride...t's a mill
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Company Name :
    CHARLIE SHIELS LTD
    Address :
    Units 3 and 4 Goldenbridge Ind Est, Inchicore Dublin 8 Dublin -IRELAND
    Phone :
    +353 (1) 454 58 44
    Fax :
    +353 (1) 454 58 45
    This company supplies almost every spare part for all electrical goods.
    They have a stores at above shop address.
    Worth a phone call.

This company supplies most of the shops who sell spare parts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fakerbaker2

Tks pixbyjohn
    I'll give them a bell...is it a handy enough job replacing element...hubby gonna give it a go.....not his forte though?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

You might find one in the electrical store at the top of the Main St, Bray. Opposite Mc Donalds. I picked one up there around 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mercdave66

G.MAN wrote: »
    yeah,he is still there. was in there the other day.I actually have a couple of elements myself if anybody needs them

Hey Gman, do you still have those elements? If you do please PM me your number and price. My element is about 200mm dia and is 3 coils...

Thanks,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oolaw

Hi!Just a quick question.
    How to use the oven to bake a cake? There is no bottom heater which is very weird. Should I use fan? I tried to make banana bread yesterday and it end up flat.
    Does enyone of you have manual?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mossy81

Hi, Does anyone have the Manual for this oven? We've been told that the Fan icon is just the Fan but I find that hard to believe. I think its the Oven and the Element is gone and the landlord doesn't want to pay to fix it. Can you please help us out here

Many Thanks

Mossy81 wrote: »
    Hi, Does anyone have the Manual for this oven? We've been told that the Fan icon is just the Fan but I find that hard to believe. I think its the Oven and the Element is gone and the landlord doesn't want to pay to fix it. Can you please help us out here

Many Thanks

Hello!I was looking for manual myself and I couldnt find it.
    The fan has to be with temperature,my oven was fixed last week!
    The geating element was gone,it's not expensive.
    Without the temp the fan is useless,and with only top heat the fan is USLESS AS WELL!!!You have to have a tepm with the fan,your landlord is wrong.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mossy81

oolaw wrote: »
    Hello!I was looking for manual myself and I couldnt find it.
    The fan has to be with temperature,my oven was fixed last week!
    The geating element was gone,it's not expensive.
    Without the temp the fan is useless,and with only top heat the fan is USLESS AS WELL!!!You have to have a tepm with the fan,your landlord is wrong.
    Best of luck!

Thanks - Yes we had the temperature on at 180 for 15 mins and the oven was still cold. Just the Fan was going. So I am correct in saying that the Fan icon is actually for the oven and the other icons are just the Grill. Can I ask how or who fixed yours?

• Advertisement

Mossy81 wrote: »
    Thanks - Yes we had the temperature on at 180 for 15 mins and the oven was still cold. Just the Fan was going. So I am correct in saying that the Fan icon is actually for the oven and the other icons are just the Grill. Can I ask how or who fixed yours?

If the oven is still cold you have to replace the heating element.Ring Flynn Christen 0860394396.That's the guy who fixed mine.Ask him for the price and ring your landlord!!
    Good luck.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The top left setting (pic of a fan) is the oven setting, it should heat up.

Townhall Electric in Bray (as mentioned before) have the element you want. Lovely man in there sorted me out, and when I mentioned "Gormets Pride" he knew I was living in Charlesland. €30 for it.

Its easy to fit yourself:
      Turn on the oven.
      Flick your fuse box switches until the oven turns off (mine was marked clearly)
      Open the oven door and remove the back plate. 2 screws on top, 2 on the bottom. This will reveal the oven element. There are 3 screws holding it in place.
      Remove the screws and pull the element off (there are 3 wires connected to it)
      Pull the wires off the back of the element (MAKE SURE THEY DONT FALL IN BEHIND THE BACK OF THE OVEN)
      Swap out your old element for the new one and connect up the wires. Earth must go in the middle prong of the element, but the other 2 wires/prongs are interchangable.
      Screw the new element in place - My old element had been forced to fit to the 3 screw holes, and likely thats what broke it. When replacing, I only secured the new element using 2 screws.
      Replace the back plate of the oven.
      Flick your fuse box switch back on.
      Turn on the oven and run it for a while. It'll smell a bit since its a new part - I ran it for 30 mnutes.

I sourced mine myself, got the landlords approval, bought it and fitted it myself. I just billed the landlord for the element - my services were free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Hi, I have the this oven. Recently the fan in the oven started making a very loud noise when the oven is hot, it almost sounds like it's going to fall off. We now can't use the oven at all, only the grill settings which isn't ideal.
    Does anyone know does this sounds like an issue with the heating element too? Or a different issue?
    I have tried calling Town Hall Electric in Bray a few times but no answer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could try Carrig Hoover in Monkstown. They are the best I know for appliance repair. However I would think that your oven is beyond repair. These units are not very well built and are very low powered by modern standards.

2011 wrote: »
    You could try Carrig Hoover in Monkstown. They are the best I know for appliance repair. However I would think that your oven is beyond repair. These units are not very well built and are very low powered by modern standards.

Thanks for your reply.
    It's about 15 years old, since the house was built, as far as I can tell, so yeah it's probably beyond repair :(
    We were hoping it would last until we got our kitchen renovated in a year or two.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi, I have the this oven. Recently the fan in the oven started making a very loud noise when the oven is hot, it almost sounds like it's going to fall off. We now can't use the oven at all, only the grill settings which isn't ideal.
    Does anyone know does this sounds like an issue with the heating element too? Or a different issue?
    I have tried calling Town Hall Electric in Bray a few times but no answer.

What sound does an oven falling off make?

Loud noise like the fan rattling around or something?
    Could just need to be tightened if you're lucky, replacement fan if you're less lucky. Both are DIY (I've done it in my oven -I've moved so it's not the same brand as yours).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Could just need to be tightened if you're lucky, replacement fan if you're less lucky. Both are DIY (I've done it in my oven -I've moved so it's not the same brand as yours).

Yes, you may be right. However speaking as someone that was once an owner of a Gormet Pride oven I know that they are low quality and mine was only 1.5 kW (very low power by modern standards).

I would think that it would be best to replace, you just won’t know yourself.

I meant it sounds like the fan could fall off. When the oven gets hot it starts making a really loud noise, like rattling or loose. As soon as I switch it to grill the noise stops. There doesn't seem to be an option to use the oven without the fan. It appears to be one oven setting and 3 grill settings.
    We're only in the house a few months so this oven is relatively new to us.

Advertisement