Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bag packing in a supermarket for a charity

• 13-01-2010 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was hoping someone might have some information about how to go about bag packing for a personal unregistered charity. Do i need to get guarda clearance first ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

My advise would be to pick a charity, then contact that charity, and tell them what you want to do. They should be able to give you information of a local branch of that charity and then they can support you and help you out with what ever you need.

Then the next step would be to contact the manager of the supermarket you would like to do this in for available dates.

By the way, do you live in the Ennis area because we (Diabetes Federation of Ireland - Clare branch) need volunteers for a bag pack this weekend????? We desperately need funds for teaching people & children with diabetes how to manage their disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gnuggignoggot

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is that the charity I'm hoping to it for is a small one that my friend established to raise money to build a new orphanage in Tanzania where she volunteered for a month last year. So I don't know the steps involved... Although I'm thinkng I'll probably just go to my local guarda station and see what the story is, I'm sure the supermarket will need some documentation to know its legitimate.

As for your bag packing this weekend, I'm no where near Ennis but I wish you the very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 smythy25

Any one got any experience of organising bag-packing in a super-market in the South Dublin Area? I am looking to get one organised for this summer, but have no experience at all, any advice would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

We have done it a couple of times. The first thing you do is talk to the manager of the supermarket to see what their process is and if they have available dates.

Once you've got your dates, start rounding up volunteers for the day. That's the biggest challenge. Try not to have too many people doing more than 2-3 hours - it can be physically challenging to stand all that time.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My understanding is you cannot collect for an unregistered charity... However I apologise if wrong.

additionally I do know that our local supermarket stuplitated that a charity must be registered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MichMich

Bagpacking is ridiculous now...I couldn't even get a date because theres so many schools and sports clubs fundraising for themselves. The supermarket I've done it in twice before tells me they have no dates, yet most weekends there is no one bagpacking there. Last year in July, I was told they were booked out for the year...

My advice...book it REALLY early...and try to get a friday or saturday of a bank holiday weekend...

You'll need loads of helpers...give them a two hour slot each but hopefully a few will stay on longer...

The best part is counting the money afterwards...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

MichMich wrote: »
    Bagpacking is ridiculous now...I couldn't even get a date because theres so many schools and sports clubs fundraising for themselves. The supermarket I've done it in twice before tells me they have no dates, yet most weekends there is no one bagpacking there. Last year in July, I was told they were booked out for the year...

My advice...book it REALLY early...and try to get a friday or saturday of a bank holiday weekend...

You'll need loads of helpers...give them a two hour slot each but hopefully a few will stay on longer...

The best part is counting the money afterwards...

Agree, You have to be there in January to get a date there are Hundreds of Charitys Competing for a Slot in Your area.

My Advice is get the Charity Registered no matter how small i cant see the Supermarkets letting you Bag Pack Without this Or we would all be very Rich.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know of schools who have done this without being registered, but it's all been down to who asks (and it's always someone with a connection who asks). It's very difficult to get a date, but if you do it can be a great fundraiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MichMich

In terms of it being a registered charity, the times that I bagpacked, I just went to the supermarket and asked for a date...they wrote it down in a hardback copy and that was that...I arrived on the day with my buckets, wasn't asked for ID, charity information or anything.

That said, I have heard it is abit stricter up the country...we're too laid back for our own good down the south.

Advertisement