Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Presenters using RTE to shill colleagues shows!

• 13-01-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

WTF!!!

What is going on here.

What I am writing about is the pantomine produced by Aan Hughes in the Tivoli.

First we have the Dufficer giving it countrywide publicity by discussing it on Liveline.

Then Ryan chips in with some report about it losing 250k whilst shilling the show to the nth degree.

Today we have Hughes on Mooney again shilling this panto and the so called problems encountered during it's run!!

What is going on here?? Are there no other pantos in Dublin or countrywide who have encountered similar problems.??

Why is the organisation supported by John Q Taxpayer shilling a colleagues production.??

Goan, grow a set of balls and pull the plug on this ridiculous carry on.

Nobody is fooled here.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Presuming that you mean Alan Hughes, you do realise he works for a competitor and is not their colleague?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Well aware of that, but in this business.

What is the phrase" You scratch my back I'll scratch yours" something like that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Yeah, I have noticed that since the Mooney show started, more than a few items sound like they have originated in the George.

Do tell!

"Do tell!"

I dunno anytin bout dat sort of ting. It just sounds to me like some of these items that make it to air - like an oul plug for Mr Hughes's panto (and a dig a the Gaiety panto) - might be suggested over a strawberry dacqari in that famous watering hole. Frequented by many creative and meeja types, I'm told. A pink conspiracy, if you will.
    Sure, RTE is rife with nepotism anyway so this is just favouritism of another sort.

• Advertisement

I hear what you say Timothy, I hear what you say.

Now let's get one thing clear, I never referred to AH as an RTE colleague,but as a media colleague.

They all plug each other(metaphorically speaking of course;))

I just object to them doing it with my tax Euros.

:D

You're dead right Mr Flutt.
    The amount of airtime given to that panto is inordinate and one would have to wonder why it seems relatively easy for Mr Hughes to command so much space on the flagship radio station of RTE. The other Panto people must be tearing their hair out in frustration. It's production laziness at best and if not, well then see above.
    I'm sure there are many other examples across radio and tv on a weekly basis.
    It would seem at times that the licence fee and air time is to be used as a slush fund for helping out those in the circle. And every other worthy entertainment will just have to wait until they can find the space or pay a media fee.

You are beating my drum Mr Timmy.

Welcome to the radio forum:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

And every other worthy (commercial enterprise) entertainment will just have to wait until they can find the space or pay a media fee.

I'm thinking of the bookmakers who get a mention every other day, it seems. why don't they buy ads.

Why should the bookmakers spend any money when Paddy Power's number is on everyone's speed dial in RTE and Newstalk? It seems we can't have a discussion on a new pope, taoiseach, US president or Ireland football manager etc. without eliciting the state of the odds and a good oul plug for the betting website in question.
    It seems to me there are a few options if you want to spend no money on promotion of your product, service or event and get on numerous RTE shows....
    1. You daddy/mammy are producers or higher at the state broadcaster.
    2. Offer generous ligging opportunities for presenters and producers.
    Get those fat snouts in the trough people!
    3. Drink at the George
    4. Be a bookie,any sort of a bookie and offer odds on current affairs stuff and novelty bets. Lazy producers cant get enough of em.
    Have I missed anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Have I missed anything?

Yep, the obvious political one.

tampopo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of the bookmakers who get a mention every other day, it seems. why don't they buy ads.

Hmmm I often wondered why racing had such a high profile on the RTE Sat. sports shows.

Who sponsors the Saturday sports show??

Paddy Power

Now you know why they don't have to buy ads.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Then you have Gerry Ryan's new business venture, Cod Peice, which just so happens to be situated in the vicinity of a recently revamped concert venue ,own by his bestest mate, which is relentlessly plugged on his radio show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ryan gave the panto a mention this morning too. Hughes's finances must be up the paddle.
    Ryan explained that the Tiv has extended the run as they think the weather had a big effect on numbers.

It's called, calling in the favours, Mr Humber.

Now I don't have a diff.with that as long as I am not subsidising it.

Goan would want to get his act together, but the inherent cynic in me says it won't happen, seeing as the wife of the new chairman of the RTE authority in on the box and radio more than some of the staffers.

Watch out for Anton (even blander than Mr Bland Aengus)getting a leg up sometime soon.

The flutter has his beady eye on the situation:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

It's called, calling in the favours, Mr Humber.

Now I don't have a diff.with that as long as I am not subsidising it.

Goan would want to get his act together, but the inherent cynic in me says it won't happen, seeing as the wife of the new chairman of the RTE authority in on the box and radio more than some of the staffers.

Watch out for Anton (even blander than Mr Bland Aengus)getting a leg up sometime soon.

The flutter has his beady eye on the situation:mad:

Good call there Flutther...some of Ryans plug fests have been way over the top..the man must have his own private jaxx in the O2 at this stage.

I'd say a lot of little schemes are hatched over a lite sasparilla in The George or the Front Lounge or some of the trendier D4 watering holes.

The test for Goan is will he have the nuts to tackle the so called "stars" of RTE and their staggering salaries.

The Govt should say no more license fee increases until these gimps are cut down to size.......

Might haveto cut down on their Champaigne bill in The George then.....:P

It's like this Fulton, you and me, ordinary lads, bridle up when we hear these overpaid people push each others agenda at our expense.

The worst bit is that they think we can't see through their thinly veiled shilling.

Now what they get up to in the Panti bar or the Turk's head is none of my business,but what is my business is when the use the publicly funded airwaves to back up their off campus activities.

Phuck that for a game of cowaboys I say, you don't fool this poster or John Q Taxpayer.

Take over Goan and earn your corn.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Jesus christ Fluttern, did RTE rape you as a child??

Vendetta doesn't even describe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ah, leave him alone. he makes me feel objective.. ;-)

Nooo not at all.

Now what bit of my posting is not true???

We have to keep these punters on their toes;)

Don't know about you, but I fooking hate fat toads getting fatter at MY expense

Now if you don't mind that , fair fooks, but it bugs me big time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Who is Goan's Mrs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

Not Mrs Goan, it's Mrs Savage aka Terry Prone.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0225/1224241774915.html

It's a disgrace that a spin doctor is on RTE at all giving a view which will help her chances of spinning bad news for whoever requires for a substantial fee, but when her husband is chairman of that authority it should not be accepted.

They really are taking us for fools:(

Jez, it does seem like a clear conflict of interest.
    It is surprising that something like this isn't the subject of an enquiry or at least comment at the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Communications. Would it have anything to do with the fact that, of the 11 members of that committee 6 are F.F. including the Chairman, MJ Nolan and Vice Chairman, Peter Kelly?
    Someone with a bit more savvy in this area might have a view.

As a matter of interest,the Mooney show is bringing 100 people to the Tivoli to Alan Hughes' panto.

I wonder

a.. are these tickets free from the production.

b.. If not, who is paying?

c.. If they are free, is this a kickback for the publicity.

Lot of funny stuff going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

bossdrum wrote: »
    Not Mrs Goan, it's Mrs Savage aka Terry Prone.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0225/1224241774915.html

It's a disgrace that a spin doctor is on RTE at all giving a view which will help her chances of spinning bad news for whoever requires for a substantial fee, but when her husband is chairman of that authority it should not be accepted.

They really are taking us for fools:(

I was wondering why she is always on every RTE panel, chat show, radio show, pluggin her own company and probably getting paid from RTE at the same time.

This stinks alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Timmy Tarmac delivering some stellar lols in this thread, Good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

on Mooney today. "Panto, panto, panto, panto, panto." It's getting ridiculous at this stage (if you forgive the pun).

I like Derek Mooney and find him funny, but he needs to understand that straight people listen to the show as well. It's like gay hour from 3-4, and then wildlife for the the rest. Today they are on about men's girdles, and have Brian Dowling wearing one around Dundrum Shopping Centre asking people how he looks. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 amylouise88

tampopo wrote: »

Bookmakers are not allowed to buy ads, as per the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland it is illegal for them to do so.

When you think about it - advertising gambling isn't exactly ethical as it is addictive.

However, bookmakers are allowed to sponser programmes and shows - so their ad becomes " The Sports Zone brought to you by xxx" instead of "xxx now offer great odds on horse racing" etc

Im not defending RTE either as they break the BCI code all the time because they are "RTE" and not an Independant Radio Station.

I also think if people who listened to radio would rather give some money to their local radio station - which they probally listen to more - than it just been taken off them by RTE!

Very true about the bookmakers.
    Although the National Lottery can advertise on Local and national radio, sponsor programmes and get half hour slots on Mooney to plug the next Millionaire draw when it happens.
    It looks like addictive gambling same as the bookies to me but the only difference is the proceeds seem to become a political slush fund for whatever Minister is in the arts + sport dept.
    It's the referring to bookies and their wares on the State broadcaster on current affairs and features programmes that boils my urine.
    I wouldn't be that concerned about the local sector in this regard. They are not in reciept of licence fee money for such things. Good luck to em.

• Advertisement
Advertisement