Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Lice/Ectoparasite problem

Options
  • 13-01-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

I just noticed this today. I saw my common goldfish flick violently about an hour ago. I went over to the tank to see what the problem was and I saw what I believed to be 2 fish lice (argulus) in the tank.

I keep two fish, a common goldfish and an oranga varient and they both seemed to know about these parasites. They dashed violently away from the lice when they came near and I noticed the Commom Goldfish was missing a number of scales, about 6 on one side, two on the other.. Immediately I removed the fish from the tank into fresh water, into a plastic tub with water I had filtered and then treated with AquaSafe.

I googled goldfish parasite and came across this site which has images of many species and I managed to single out my "creatures" to be
    Argulus (“Fish Louse”)
    Argulus.jpg
    These are more or less identical to the things swimming about my tank and I am wondering how can I treat these? Also how did they come me to be in my tank with no new fish added in months

Help much appreciated,
    Jack.

Advertisement