Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Gardening Students need Gardens ?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Just a thought I had. Do people who study in the horticulture industry need Gardens to work on do projects etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

strictly speaking i don't think that it is a necessity to have a garden in order to follow a particular line of study....while i have had gardens of all sizes in the past, i currently have a garden the size of a postage stamp that is completly paved and don't find any hindrance at all... thats not to say that i would'nt appreciate a large growing area to go along with my studies;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Well you dont need to own a car to become a mechanic but it helps. A place to gain some practical experience and to experiment will never go amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Please don't think I am being flippant but I would like to offer my garden to a horticulture student-I even have a shed for storage. Am at my wits end with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Is that a bit like leaving your body to science :D

Being serious, one of my elderly neighbours in Cork has a horticulture student doing her garden - her son put up a card in whatever college does the courses & he got quite a few replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

you dont NEED to have one but it helps.

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    Is that a bit like leaving your body to science :D

Being serious, one of my elderly neighbours in Cork has a horticulture student doing her garden - her son put up a card in whatever college does the courses & he got quite a few replies.

thanks Andip-great idea-even though I'm not elderly I can't seem to make it work and if there's someone out there who thinks they can, I'd be happy to help. Unfortunately the previous owners left it to grow into a jungle and although I have managed to clear it and tidy it up, it needs more than I have to offer. It could be beautiful-in fact, I bought the house partly because of the possibilities the garden had to offer but now don't have the time, which is desperate really.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Thats why I asked the question.
    Have just taken charge of a property with a considerable garden.0.5 acre.
    Do not intend to build on the property for a while but would like to do something and learn something about the garden.
    What are the popular courses in this country ?

Thanks

Thats why I asked the question.
    Have just taken charge of a property with a considerable garden.0.5 acre.
    Do not intend to build on the property for a while but would like to do something and learn something about the garden.
    What are the popular courses in this country ?

Thanks

Poncherello-I have asked around and apparently Teagasc run horticulture/educational courses around the country-they have local offices and you will find info on them here www.teagasc.ie
    F

Advertisement