Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wiper Blades for an '02 Passat

• 13-01-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

Wiper blades on my '02 Passat need changing. Was gonna get the ones on sale in Lidl tomorrow but I can't figure out which size I need or indeed if any of them would fit. I've removed the wipers (quite easy) but can't get any part number etc to google from which to get this info and googling Passat wiper blades gives no joy either. Even if I get the right blades, will I need to put the blades into the 'main' part of my wiper - if so is this easily done?

Thanks for your help,
    super_freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Do you not have those funny new type chunky flat wiper blades??

If so, I'd forget lidl. I paid €35 for a pair for my 02 passat from an auto factor. They still chattered on the windscreen but the screen was in poor enough condition with chips so I was never sure they were the problem.

How much are the VW blades?? IIRC, they're quite expensive but there's nothing more annoying than bad blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

All the brands have their own guide so find the index usually attached to the stand where the wipers are and it will tell you the right one's to get for an 02 Passat.

"will I need to put the blades into the 'main' part of my wiper"
    You will if you just buy the rubber refils and use the existing 'main' part of your wiper.

Dont know if Lidl are selling wipers or just wiper refils but I always get good quality wipers for this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Are they the standard type of wiper blade or the Aero Type?

Aero looks like:
    http://www.dbcperformance.com/v/vspfiles/photos/8P1955426H-2.jpg

Get a measuring tape and measure the drivers side and passengers side. Usually the drivers side is larger the passengers side.

Go to motor factors - get the relevant size. Bosch Aero Type Blades are about 30-35euro for the pair.

There is no such thing as a VW type wiper blade its a standard item.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Replacements are €38 on MicksGarage.ie...

Not sure about the Aero question but the type quoted on MicksGarage.ie are Valeo if that's any good...

Looks like I'll go to Lidl, see if they explicitly say that a particular size will fit a Passat and if not, I'll just get 'em in a motor factors?

super_freddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If you can't find a measuring tape, stick in your make/model on http://wiperblades.co.uk/ and it'll tell you what size you need. I think Lidl state the size in mm so you'll need to convert from inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Thanks for that Gran Hermano, sounds like a plan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

i got a pair of bosch aerotwins for an 02 octavia for €28 off ebay, would have to check home 'puter for a link, way better than normal blades, a lot quiter and a much better wipe!
    I spent more on valeo's (non aero) before and they weren't all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you dont know whether you have the one piece 'aero' type blade or the more traditional blades, you have no business going buying anything.
    Look at the car and see if the wipers are one piece like the aero picture or the older blades made out of about 20 small metal pieces. Then go to motor factors and get replacements

Advertisement